↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Fitted! Double DIN Parrot Asteroid Smart. + now DAB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Fitted! Double DIN Parrot Asteroid Smart. + now DAB
have just bought a parrot asteroid smart, parrot's double DIN head unit running android. excited to get it fitted (a whole other story!) because it has some really great features! (see here: http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/asteroid...roid-smart )

has all the basics; BT audio, handsfree, voice recognition(which actually works!), FM/AM, 4xUSB in, AUX in, iPod connectivity etc etc etc

but also:
- runs android
- has WiFi and web browser & email & calendar built in (necessary?), supports BT internet tethering, or USB dongle etc
- runs fully loaded TomTom app or others (GPS built in) (i'll buy the full TomTom Europe maps package - Ł35ish last i checked)
- runs spotify
- runs a wide range of internet radio apps etc
- web browser allows catch up TV (iPlayer etc if speed good enough)
- lots of music/audio settings (virtual bass, sub, equaliser, spatialisation etc etc)

some really cool features:
- can pair with a BlueTooth OBD transmitter to run an app such as TorquePro (Diagnostics, fault codes, EML clear, customisable gauges etc etc)
- features a reversing camera input feed (can be triggered by reversing light feed)
- has rear screen video/sound outputs and video/sound inputs so a good platform to build from if you're thinking of fitting rear screens

and its only Ł415-Ł475 depending where you buy it! an equivalent alpine/kenwood/sony unit would be at least Ł800...

will provide feedback when its fitted but should be really good! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.

Last edited by Cheshire110 on 2nd Jan 2015 2:50am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #304483 2nd Feb 2014 7:39pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Look forward to seeing it installed David Thumbs Up Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #304664 3rd Feb 2014 12:14pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have a Parrot Asteroid single DIN that was fitted by myself about two and a half years ago and it will be interesting to see how you get on and if you can put some photos up of the final installation please.

My Parrot Asteroid is brilliant, it ticks all my boxes and has given me reliable, sterling service. I do not carry out any of the software upgrades as a rule unless I experience difficulties. There are those perhaps that will berate the brand due to their own experiences but as mentioned mine has been very good and I would buy Parrot Asteroid again.

If it isn't broken don't try to fix it would be my advice but you must decide for yourself. I think you will not be disappointed and am interested in your opinion once fitted and up and running.

A thread about few of the Asteroid associated issues......that may be of interest perhaps?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22076.html?highlight=died If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #304673 3rd Feb 2014 12:50pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
yes, have an asteroid single din fitted at the moment too. does everything perfectly and the handsfree is the best I've ever seen, can honestly say it has NEVER got a contact name wrong that I've spoken and i can have easy conversations even at 70mph+.

thats what led me to the smart, and the built in satnav will save me using my phone, and i liked the idea of reversing camera and onboard diagnostics etc (have also ordered a Ł6 BT OBD2 transmitter)

will post pictures hopefully this weekend if i get it done!

the actual parrot bit is easy as it has the same connections as every radio and i already have mic/wiring etc from my current asteroid, the tricky bit is the double din conversion and relocating my switches to my mud puma pod.. wish me luck! Cheers, David
Post #304679 3rd Feb 2014 1:10pm
K9F

Sounds like you're going to be busy. Thumbs Up

Good luck David and let us know how you fair! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #304688 3rd Feb 2014 1:46pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
yep I've got a feeling it will engulf my weekend! Cheers, David
Post #304695 3rd Feb 2014 2:00pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
DONE! hooray
after a long weekend its all finally done!

was quite scary at times and felt a little overwhelmed but I'm so pleased with how it came out in the end, miles better than i'd hoped! looks like a factory fit if i do say so myself Whistle

when i saw the switch relocation panel and the mud switches, i decided that it would look much more professional to use the original switches and that i'd just have to bite the bullet and cut the dash and fit the relocation panel. (rather than using my mud puma pod as was my first idea)

1. first step was to take out all the old, cut the top off the old facia with a fine hack saw (very carefully!) and transfer the heater controls icons/cigarette lighter socket/headlamp levelling switch/clips over to the new facia. was really impressed with the quality of the new facia, probably better than the old and all the clips/switches etc fitted snugly.

Click image to enlarge

2. then i made a template out of plywood for the hole id need to mark up on the dash as i certainly didn't want to get this bit wrong!

Click image to enlarge

3. hole to be cut all marked up

Click image to enlarge

4. hole cut!

Click image to enlarge

5. everything fitted- the wiring was easy as id already had a parrot asteroid single din fitted before so all the connections were the same Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

used the satnav (free 3 month demo of iGO included with maps of UK, Ireland, France and BeNeLux included) and the bluetooth audio streaming as well as the tuner today, all very good & responsive and the satnav got me to my destination easily...(despite the very british weather!)

Click image to enlarge

overall couldn't be more pleased! anyone has any questions/wants to know whats involved i will try and help as much as i can but mostly it was a case of just figuring it out for me!

next jobs when I'm next home are to get the bluetooth OBD diagnostics app/gauges set up and maybe a reversing camera... it never stops does it.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Cheers, David
Post #306636 9th Feb 2014 8:09pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
That looks great David,
really like the look of that, only thing i dont like which Ive heard others mention is the circular cutout bit, shame they cant do away with that!
Think id have to adapt mine when i do it or find a gauge to fill the space.
Really looks the business though, its certainly something for my purchase list from seeing though Thumbs Up Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #306643 9th Feb 2014 8:20pm
Myers

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Epsom Green
David

Looks excellent, just like a factory fitted unit. The write up is very useful as are the photo's.

Whats the hole for in the new switch panel??
Post #306644 9th Feb 2014 8:21pm
K9F

David,

Did you de-loom the rear wash/wipe/spotlight switches and reroute to get them to the new location or did you have to extend the harness?

Looks fabulous....Great result.... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #306650 9th Feb 2014 8:29pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
How much was your new facia? Cracking job btw.
Post #306653 9th Feb 2014 8:31pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Very nice!!! Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #306658 9th Feb 2014 8:39pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
SailingTom and Myers: the whole is for a gauge to be fitted, I've not seen a double din facia kit sold where the panel doesn't have it, but i think that may be because there is only one actual supplier/manufacturer of the kits. apparently its a fairly standard gauge size and I've seen a number of gauges fitted on various forums/sites/pics including auxiliary fuel tank level etc. I plan to fit a USB socket in it (i.e. cut a whole in the blank) at some point.

K9F: i only had to extend the wiring on the heated rear screen switch as it (frustratingly) was about 5cm too short! none of the others needed anything other than unplugging at the back, pop the switch out and into the new place then plug in the connector at the back. took very little time to get done after id done the cutting of the dash etc.

borderterrier: it was Ł290 on ebay Big Cry ! they're stupidly expensive but i got the stereo for a good price and I'm really happy with it. have a load of bits to sell now (see for sale section) to try and get some of my money back!

cheers for the praise, turned out much better than i'd hoped and wasn't too much hassle in the end (just scary cutting a gaping whole in your dash!) Cheers, David
Post #306663 9th Feb 2014 8:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I really like that! The spec list is impressive too, I'm not sure even many of the big players I.e. Alpine, Kenwood etc could match that and even to get close would be mega money.
As mentioned that circular area in that panel I don't like either and I think would be much better not being there which would of course make the panel smaller too.
Looks very neat and tidy too, one day I must look into swapping my flip out as it's starting to get a little dated now.
Just a shame the dashes cost quite a bit. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #306687 9th Feb 2014 9:34pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Blimey, that's a lot. Looks good though.
Post #306690 9th Feb 2014 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>