↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Suitability of Defender for European overlanding?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Samblers

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Suitability of Defender for European overlanding?
'Expedition' seems a little too strong a word, but i'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on a Defender as a vehicle for an extended trip across Europe... sort of 6 months?

Here in Australia, I see a well-equipped 4WD as an absolute necessity for accessing all of the interesting and often remote spots that are on offer. If you dont have the right equipment, you'll miss out, simple as that.

For Europe i'm not so sure... but have no experience of travelling off the beaten track by car in Europe and certainly not on the availability or otherwise of 4WD routes.

Plan: Sometime in the nebulous future we'll drag the 2 kids out of school (maybe around ages 5 and 7), sack in the jobs and take off. We are British, and familar with camping a la mainstream mainland Europe. Campervans and caravans seem to be the order of the day at the public rest stops, municipal campsites, and (lets face it), vastly tarmacked roads well-travelled. They seem very fit-for-purpose. And dull.

Cannot give up on the romantic ideal of traipsing around the place in a Defender though. So

- Is a Defender an appropriate vehicle for this type of trip? Yes, it'll drive the same as any other car but will its Defenderness be a benefit or a hindrance? Europe is not Africa or Australia.

- Keen to hear from anyone who has done this type of trip, particularly with kids

- Keen to see Pics of your overland touring set-up, and the places in Europe that it took you

Cheers for being patient Wink

Sam
Post #303102 29th Jan 2014 2:04pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
A Defender is perfectly suitable...but so is a Prius! It depends if you want to travel on all tarmacked roads etc. If you take a Defender, there plenty of 'off the beaten track' driving to be done! An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #303157 29th Jan 2014 6:00pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Suitability of Defender for European overlanding?
Samblers wrote:
'

- Is a Defender an appropriate vehicle for this type of trip? YES

Yes, it'll drive the same as any other car but will its Defenderness be a benefit or a hindrance? NO

Europe is not Africa or Australia. TRUE but you can still find isolated spots

and the places in Europe that it took you AS far north as Nord Kapp Norway, as far east as Romania, as far south as Gibralter as far west as Portugal

Sam

Brendan
Post #303248 29th Jan 2014 10:06pm
THF

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Samblers,

To Echo GUM97's answer...Yes Thumbs Up
My (then) girl-friend and I headed put of our first bit of landrover travelling in Aug 07. We headed out for our own Tour De France. 3500miles in 32 days reaching as far down a Monaco and up in the French alps before heading back home over the beaches of Normandy. Things were basic and we cooked off the back door of the 90, with a ground sheet and a couple of tent poles as an awning. We befriended Tim & Claire from Trek overland, and they helped us on future travels. But she returned as my fiancee and we've never looked back!

Click image to enlarge

Second trip was to Norway Jul 09, (up through Denmark from Blighty) as far North as Alesund, then back down the west cost to Oslo. Again over 4 weeks and it was truly amazing the perfect way to travel. Again in a 90 with an inflatable boat on the roof with a little outboard engine for exploring the fjords. Travelled in company with my brother and sister in law in their FL2.

Click image to enlarge

in '12 with the expansion of a family to +1, we sold up on the 90 and got a 110 XS in Oslo Blue (wonder where in colour inspiration came from?). We travelled back down to the French alps, at a slightly more leisurely pace and stayed in Chamonix for a week. Brilliant for us, not so good for the neighbouring campers as our 10 month old girl went through the teething process. Thanks God for day old french baguette, the perfect teething aid.

Click image to enlarge

And the plan this year....... Head down to Les Contamines, with the Brother in law in his 90 and us in our 110. and do it all over again, but this time with 2 girls!

So the short answer to it is its definitely the vehicle to do a tour. The Landy Wave is as friendly in Europe as it is in Blighty, its fixable nearly anywhere and you'll probably find a forum member somewhere near when its not!

All the very best in planning your travels, enjoy it in a Defender!
Post #303272 29th Jan 2014 10:48pm
deplec

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Hiya - in short : Yes, totally suitable I reckon.

But I suppose it depends on your outlook as well. Like many folk I see the journey and driving on hols as part of the fun. Windows down, tunes on, enjoying looking at the 90 when parked up. And for that, and the ability to venture away from the tarmac means I would choose a vehicle I enjoy driving, my 90.

Sure my works BMW would chew up the miles more quickly, has a better stereo, is more efficient but I don't enjoy driving it nearly as much. And it can't detour up that rough track just to see where it goes. Others no doubt like to get from A - B quickly and chill out at the destination and there are better cars than a Land Rover to do that quickly. But I wanna enjoy all of the road trip, when on hols, even the driving! And I agree with the above, there is something about a Landywave in a foreign country that is a little bit awesome! Smile

There is a couple on here who have shipped their 90 to Oz for a big trip. Respect to them I say. Doing it in their own vehicle will be special.

EDIT to answer one of the OP question : Touring set up for me was a 90 hard top with a couple of tents in the back for me and my brother. So nothing special at all kit wise. The worst bit was the £££ on the fuel.
Post #303287 29th Jan 2014 11:11pm
Samblers

Perfect. And great pics, great inspiration …

Should’ve stated I am a 110 owner here in Aus and we use either a canvas tent or a rented off-road (heavy duty) camping trailer for our travels. This works well (particularly the trailer) for stops of 3 nights or more when you can leave camp set up and go off exploring for the day, but would be painful for quick overnighters, especially with the kids (and the associated clutter). That’s where the campervan would be King. Very quick to set up/down.

We did a 6-month lap of Aus in a VW Campervan (another cliché!) which was perfect except for not being able to go off-road. This was before kids too…

THF – what camping set-up will you use with 2 kids for your upcoming trip?

Pics of your touring rigs greatly appreciated!

Sam
Post #303318 30th Jan 2014 1:51am
THF

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Sam,

Started off with a G4 pop up tent, then evolved as the family did. Then we got a Side awning and walls as a wedding present. Now we have a large poly-cotton tent (Nomad Bantu 6 Air), and generally pitch in one location for several nights and explore off in different directions from there.
That'll be the same for this summer. Very Happy
Post #303327 30th Jan 2014 8:17am
Samblers

Yes, tent camping.

I can see I’m going to have to get out of Aussie mode (‘more is more’) and back into English mode (‘less is more’)

Most Aussies wouldn’t leave the house without a 3t trailer full of household appliances!
Post #303632 31st Jan 2014 2:02am
Samblers

Is it possible to ship my 110 from Aus to UK for the duration and then return with it?
Post #303646 31st Jan 2014 8:07am
leeds

United Kingdom 
YES Thumbs Up

No problem shipping vehicles out of Australia. Problem is shipping them into Australia Exclamation

To clear Australian customs, your vehicle has to be cleaner then clean otherwise they will clean it for you at 200 AUD a time. Back to inspection not clean enough? That is another 200AUD please Whistle

We have done it, some friends 90 is on the high seas at the moment somewhere between Sri Lanka and Australia.

To be road legal in Europe you can temporarily import it, must have road tax and valid Australian mot. Will need motor insurance, probably best done in UK, but you will need a UK 'address' and then see what cover you get for Europe.

Also need a Carnet proving that you are going to take vehicle back to Australia. Check with your version of AA/RAC. Most of Australian authorities are not used to the concept of temporary importing/exporting vehicles Rolling with laughter

Drop PamW a pm and ask them what shipping agent they are using. A GOOD shipping agent makes life a lot, lot easier Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #303662 31st Jan 2014 9:51am
Samblers

I suspect this might be a cheaper option for an extended trip. Cheaper than going overseas, buying a car, getting it trip-ready, selling it again…

Means you can take your time getting the vehicle ready also. And fill it full of stuff for the crossing, presuming this is allowed (?).

Would still love to see pics of peoples touring rigs! Wink
Post #304925 4th Feb 2014 4:57am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I run a 110 with roof top tent. It is ideal for Europe - don't forget that Morocco/Sahara is easily accessible. Plenty of off-roading - e.g. Pyrenees, Picos, Eastern Europe, Iceland etc. Lots of places that the camper vans won't get to. I've looked at taking my truck to Oz in a container and it is pretty expensive - roughly what you'd expect to lose on buying/selling a truck locally in UK I reckon. You have to get all your gear over here though - but some companies hire out the bigger items as an alternative. Have a look in the member galleries for pictures of rigs

Click image to enlarge
Post #307280 11th Feb 2014 10:00pm
Samblers

Thats awesome Thumbs Up

Presume just the two of you?
Post #307460 12th Feb 2014 3:25pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Do you know you appear to have run somebody over Shocked Laughing
Post #307461 12th Feb 2014 3:27pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Yep just me and the missus. The awning and the tent overhang both have side curtains which add another 'room' so 2 more could be accommodated if needed

The "Hit & Run" victim is me doing end of day checks after a long trawl across Spain in one hit
Post #307655 12th Feb 2014 11:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>