↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Now I Understand....Its the Farmers Fault we are flooding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Totally agree with you there Steve. I was lucky in a lot of ways when in farming, allright I spent 6 years at college doing as many courses as I could along with some pretty forward thinking employers when doing work experience inbetween courses. When the college couldn't/wouldn't have me back the manager on the small estate I was employed on enrolled me on the Agricultural Training Boards Apprenticeship Scheme which enabled me to get even more bits of paper but, these bits of paper are practically worthless in this day and age, they have all been superseeded by NVQ's.
The NVQ system is touching the realms of fantasy in a lot of ways, there were kids leaving college with these qualifications telling employers that they could look after sheep and pigs, they could milk a herd of cows, they could set up a corn drill and plant corn. Half these kids hadn't got a clue, it's only because they ticked the right box for the multiple choice questions. With the ATB, you had to proove that you knew how to do he job, you were working with the machinery, you were milking those cows before they would give you the certificate.
I was lucky to have worked alongside some great old boys who were happy to pass on the skills that they had picked up over the years. There's not many jobs that I hadn't experienced over the years and some obscure ones at that as well. I was involved with testing equipment for a sprayer manufacturer on a user basis, we were doing things with controlled drop application to high speed low volume application(that was different, spraying fields at 25 to 30 mph with a 40' spray boom trying to take off behind you!)I've spent months at a time draining and ditching along with woodland management.
It's all very well me spouting all the above skills I've picked up over the years but what it has taught me is how all of the aspects of what people do in the countryside all comes together to make the land work for everyone who needs it. The wildlife, livestock and the crops can all live together in the long term if people understand what is happening. The people that are controlling the land will not listen to the likes of you and me because we haven't got pieces of paper from Universities, we're just the ones at the bottom. One day it will be realised that those at the bottom know a damn site more than the so called paper experts. It doesn't happen very often but I hope it will happen before it's too late.
Post #303631 31st Jan 2014 12:53am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Post #303634 31st Jan 2014 3:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
mick wrote:
Bet the Dutch would have it sorted in no time

I'm sure that I heard that it was the Dutch who arranged the current water management on the levels. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #303707 31st Jan 2014 12:28pm
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
lambert.the.farmer wrote:

There is always a price to pay.

Exactly right.

lambert.the.farmer wrote:

If the country doesn't want such intensive farming

I'm not a farmer -- not even remotely -- but this got me thinking about produce. What's the best source of information about what's consumed in this country and what's exported?

I imagine it looks a bit skewed because we effectively trade commodities with the world at large? 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #303719 31st Jan 2014 1:33pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Post #303724 31st Jan 2014 1:46pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
From that I take it that 18 Billion is leaving the economy to pay for our food. This figure will definite be rising as more and more environmental measures are introduced in the UK (also paid for by the Tax payer). The system is great until there is food supply problems elsewhere in the world due to natural disasters or China and India buying up the surplus. Where are we then. No longer have an Empire to screw over.
Post #303725 31st Jan 2014 1:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
A few samples of where I've been today, it's bad enough up here much less on lower ground.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It looks like someone lost their number plate somehow. Shocked Rolling with laughter Around where I went there was two or three Defenders, no lesser vehicles to be seen. Twisted Evil Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #304265 1st Feb 2014 11:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123