↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Advice on first 'overland' trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Advice on first 'overland' trip
Dad and I are looking to do a short (5-7 days ish) 4x4 trip either in easter or summer. (either in our own vehicle or a self drive type thing)

don't want to just spend days driving on roads to get to where the trip is so I guess it has to be either France/spain in own car or a fly out and rent a 4x4 type thing. Been looking at Safari Drive who operate all over africa and use a nice fleet of 110s, but any suggestions welcomed!

don't want to just end up driving on smooth roads exploring a developed european country particularly, so i think either challenging terrain or an interesting country suits us best. (been looking at Botswana etc with Safari Drive, we're up for something new and exciting)

and we'd quite like it to be a planned route/company (not sure we're up to planning our own route yet)

anyone got any suggestions? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #302399 26th Jan 2014 9:14pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Here's 2 from my to-do list for the next few years...
South Africa: http://www.safarirangers.com/kruger-park-expedition-7day.htm
Namibia: http://www.safaridrive.com/index.htm

And then there's the Pyreenes, absolutely great tour!
http://www.landtreks.com/index.htm

Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #302410 26th Jan 2014 9:25pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Best bet for what you are looking to do would be the Pyrennees. Could even take the ferry to N Spain over to avoid the long drive through france.
Post #302433 26th Jan 2014 10:02pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hi David,

We went with Safari Drive in 2012, we had a fantastic time. Zambia,Namibia and Botswana. Also last year we did our own self drive trip renting a Jimny from Bobocampers. Both were 3 week trips though, I can recommend route if you really only have 7 days.

Fly to Windhoek get your car drive to Maun into Moremi south gate then out of Northgate to Magotho camp. Drive North to Savuti and your as far as you will get really. If I had only 7 days then this is what I would do if you want a challenging remote drive.

Steve

Here is a short timelapse/ video of a drive from Linyanti to Savuti we did last year of what to expect.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/thre...3-vacation 

Last edited by Steve B on 26th Jan 2014 10:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #302436 26th Jan 2014 10:08pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Advice on first 'overland' trip
davidwhittaker wrote:
Dad and I are looking to do a short (5-7 days ish) 4x4 trip either in easter or summer. (either in our own vehicle or a self drive type thing)

don't want to just spend days driving on roads to get to where the trip is so I guess it has to be either France/spain in own car or a fly out and rent a 4x4 type thing. Been looking at Safari Drive who operate all over africa and use a nice fleet of 110s, but any suggestions welcomed!

don't want to just end up driving on smooth roads exploring a developed european country particularly, so i think either challenging terrain or an interesting country suits us best. (been looking at Botswana etc with Safari Drive, we're up for something new and exciting)

and we'd quite like it to be a planned route/company (not sure we're up to planning our own route yet)

anyone got any suggestions?

A planned route?

Fly/drive for a week??

Well a fly/drive will cost over a Ł1,000 per person on top of flights/connecting transport/hotels etc

It really depends on what you want to achieve?

If getting experience on planning a trip then going on a fly drive holiday will not give you any experience on planning.

Will a fly/drive holiday take you on particularly challenging terrain? Remember that the hire company will want to protect their assets!

So if you want to spend serious Ł's, go on a well orgainised holiday then go fly drive.

If you want less developed country then try Eastern Europe.

If you want a 'safe' trip, no language problems try Scandinavia, plenty of unsealed roads there.

Want challenging terrain try say the Swedish Off Road tour.

Interesting driving try the Pyrenees from coast to coast.

Brendan

PS Forgot to add, best advice is local advice. So try contacting 4x4 clubs/forums in your planned trip area

Last edited by leeds on 26th Jan 2014 10:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #302445 26th Jan 2014 10:34pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Pyrenees would be quite cool for a first one. John Pearson I believe did a write up with his G4 110 and some friends on that trip in LRO.. I think it was within the last 18 months...

Edit: turns out it was in French and Italian Alps, my bad. 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #302449 26th Jan 2014 10:41pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
My first trip was with Alpine Rovers in the Italian Alps.
We spent three days driving the rough mountain tracks and wild camping so we could stay high up in the mountains.
Back to base camp for a shower mid week then back up wild camping again for the rest of the week.
Fantastic scenery, nice assortment of tracks and its somehow nice to do adventures in your own Landy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #302452 26th Jan 2014 10:47pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the advice guys, yes the Pyrenees does look like a good happy medium - I'll start looking around different companies which offer trips.

Steve B - yes SafariDrive does look excellent, they're definitely high up my list for after I've got a first taste of it! Dad lived in Zambia for a while and I've always wanted to see Botswana/Zambia/ZA etc, and how better to do it than by land rover? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #302489 27th Jan 2014 1:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1