↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Labour party plans for banks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Labour party plans for banks
Whilst I am not a big fan for our current banking system are the Labour Party plans sensible?

They are proposing that the big banks limit their branch networks and sell off some of their branch banks.

Now surely if a bank is going to be forced to sell some branches they will try and get rid of their less profitable banks. Now what is the possibility that the less profitable bank branches are in more rural areas?

Now Labour want banks to help small businesses? Hmmm now are small businesses likely to be centred in large commercial centres/ Or are they more likely to go for an area where rent and rates are lower? Which means that they are more likely to be in out of town centre locations/more rural locations. Now where will the banks more likely close their branch network?

Sounds like that is a well thought out policy there. NOT!

I was having a phone conversation with a fellow trader the other day. He had to go as his bank business relationship manager had just turned up. Only the fifth bank business relationship manager in the last 18 months!

Now I admit I am not a fan of the UK banking system, however the Labour party proposal look about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Sorry but a chocolate fire guard is of more use then the Labour party proposal as at least you can eat chocolate.

Brendan
Post #299790 17th Jan 2014 11:48pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Well you can promise the world when you stand a snows chance in hell of getting elected!!
Post #299793 18th Jan 2014 12:00am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Playing to the gallery.
Post #299798 18th Jan 2014 12:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Dunno who is actually in the gallery he is supposed to be playing to, as there seems to be very few people / institutions that are saying he is talking sense...

I'm not taking a political stance on this at all... just a common sense one.

Agree with Brendan... if they are forced to close branches it will be small less profitable ones ... like the ones in my small town... I already have to go into the next town to service our business account as there isn't a local Lloyds branch...

Strangely though in our small town we have 3 of the big 4 but also Santander, Yorkshire and Halifax. Seems a reasonable amount of competition to me for the population. Make any of them close and we get less choice, less competition between them and more need to burn diesel / petrol (either in train, bus or car) to travel to a branch in the next town.... Yeah, makes sense..not! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #299803 18th Jan 2014 12:42am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's a bad idea. Share price is low enough as it is.
Post #299804 18th Jan 2014 12:55am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
The proposal also includes a limit on the market share that each bank can have.

So, if a bank has to get rid of customers as well as branches, does that mean I may arbitrarily be removed from my current bank..?

If the banks don't have to fight for market share, then prices/charges can just rise...seems counter productive to me.

Cheers

Simon
Post #299816 18th Jan 2014 8:03am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The proposal isn't to close branches, but to sell some off to what he's called 'challenger banks'. The theory is that this will increase competition by introducing more sizeable banks to the market. In practice of course, if one of the branches sold happens to be your local one then you're unlikely to be impressed.

As with many of these things, it's clearly not thought out though. For instance, there's no indication that there are smaller companies falling over themselves to expand by buying a job lot of cast off branches from the big four. Also, this proposal seems to have completely missed the fact that it was the investmant banks, rather than the high st. operations, that caused the majority of the problems we've experienced. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #299827 18th Jan 2014 9:04am
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Happy days, another half baked idea that will stop them getting into power. Bit like their idea on utility companies who within minutes said they would all leave britain and close up shop.
Post #299833 18th Jan 2014 9:31am
AWOL

couplands wrote:
So, if a bank has to get rid of customers as well as branches, does that mean I may arbitrarily be removed from my current bank..?

That's what's happening with RBS. I'm moving my accounts before the switch. Not sure where to just yet, but I'm not being shifted around without a say in the deal.
Post #299841 18th Jan 2014 9:48am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Pam W wrote:
Dunno who is actually in the gallery he is supposed to be playing to, as there seems to be very few people / institutions that are saying he is talking sense...

I agree

A few of my friends are labour ( proper activists ) supporters and like this idea . That is the gallery he is playing to, his own party.

Me . I think it is completely flawed.
Post #299884 18th Jan 2014 12:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well I am old enough to remember banks when they actually provided a service.

Like children's bank accounts where kids could actually take their pocket money in and save it.

Like banks who actually had a branch manager who you actually spoke to and he made a decision! Many years ago spoke to a bank manager about a business proposition, got approval and the money. Two years later went back, similiar proposition, got approval, better interest rate, so asked why and got told I had proved myself to him so was a lower risk.

These days no bank managers to make decisions but business relationship managers who change every 3- 6 months. Once had a business relations manager who 'did not understand my business'! Buy a run down property, do it up, rent it out. Not exactly rocket science or black magic.

Currently banks do not want to even consider small business proposal. Had one so called business relations manager who did not even consider a proposal, did not even listen to it. The bank is not lending money for that sort of proposal! End of story, would not even consider the merits of the proposal.

Between the Labour party politicans and the banks they have screwed up the UK economy and nothing I hear from the Labour Party or the banks are there to help small businesses.

Now one of the banks have just sent us a statement. One of our charges has gone up 50%. Now as a small business could we put up our prices by 50%? Yes we could BUT our sales are likely to plummet!

Brendan
Post #299895 18th Jan 2014 1:08pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Sorry but it's a half baked idea from the team that caused the problem in the first place and did nothing to stop the problem other to shout foul and call for as many penalties as possible.

Can you imagine Miliband or Balls standing up and telling the likes of Morrison/Tesco/Sainsbury /Mark and Spencer or any other high street chain that they have to sell off part of the group so that it increases competition. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #299934 18th Jan 2014 3:00pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Well actually the supermarkets have, in the past at least, been subject to Monopolies Commission rules, and yes, they have had to sell off or close stores as a result..... For example when Morrisons bought Safeways and wanted to move themselves into the big Safeway superstore in Ripon, they were told they had to close their town centre Morrisons store. That town centre store was sold to Sainsburys as they didn't have a store in he town up to then...Was a massive story locally at the time... Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #299952 18th Jan 2014 4:00pm
IanW

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
A great idea the last time - proposal was to sell branches to the Co-Op Bank, headed by the Chrystal Methodist. One wife - livid
Post #299958 18th Jan 2014 4:32pm
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
Agree totally with Brendan. Small businesses now deal with "the Business ralationship Team" from Head Office, faceless people who dont give a s**t. Local Business Managers could listen and make suggestions, even have a friendly chat-now "Please select from the following". Sad
Post #299965 18th Jan 2014 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>