↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Start-Up Electrical Issues - 16MY 110XS SW
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
K.M

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Start-Up Electrical Issues - 16MY 110XS SW
A long story short I'm having a series of electrical issues I'd like some advice and clarification on before LR take the car this morning / afternoon.

A few weeks after picking up the car I installed a battery isolator around the negative as a form of layer security. Before this, I was having issues with the central locking system in that when I locked the doors from inside the car (pushing the door lock) I then couldn't open the rear LHS passenger door although all other doors were fine!

Since then, the same door (LHS rear passenger) has developed a long and drawn out electrical whine whenever you use unlock the doors, both with the fob and manually from inside the car. On top of this - and its becoming increasingly common - when I get in the car, insert the isolator key and go to start the car one of three different things will happen.

1. The car starts with no problems.
2. The car starts but only after sounding the alarm for a second and occasionally resetting the instrument panel.
3. The car starts but only after 'ticking' like a flat battery and resetting the instrument panel.

Although I appreciate its difficult to conclusively say but... is the central locking issue the likely cause my other issues? With my limited knowledge and Google research, its suggested that it could be an actuator / solenoid issue within the door card which is causing a bad connection (bad earth / live) which is then causing the car to behave the way it is.....

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?
Post #553605 4th Aug 2016 7:57am
dorsetsmith

back to LRJ but you mod elect system check all earth from battery to your mod down to chassis and transfer box

do you have away of checking voltage at battery ?

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 4th Aug 2016 8:15am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #553606 4th Aug 2016 8:01am
K.M

Yea they're coming to collect it this morning Sad

I just hope they don't try and fob me off by saying that the isolator is causing the issues....
Post #553607 4th Aug 2016 8:03am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
You could always temporarily remove the isolator.
Post #553623 4th Aug 2016 9:25am
Thon

United Kingdom 
If I understand correctly, there was a central locking problem before you installed the isolator, and since fitting it you are getting new problems.
If it were mine I would remove the isolator from the circuit and then it cannot be blamed for any of the problems,and LR will have a standard car to sort out.
Once they have sorted the problems you can then re-connect the isolator.
Post #553634 4th Aug 2016 10:05am
K.M

Yeah, thats right.... the issue was before I put in the isolator and got worse after they were 'supposedly' fixing it last time it was in!

Either way I removed the necessary wiring for the isolator and set it back to factory. The whining noise still happened and the other start up issues were intermittent anyway.... luckily the locking mechanism failed whilst the driver was there. Downside... he's only the bodyshop driver and not the mechanic who'll be trying to fix it!
Post #553700 4th Aug 2016 3:15pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
quite possible you have two faults, check the wiring that goes through the door (inside the rubber boot) these always break and fail, i should imagine you have a frayed cable.

with the isolator is it rated for the current? sound like it faulty, if you can try a set of jump leads across the terminals (if they can be exposed) 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #553706 4th Aug 2016 3:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K.M

I disconnected the isolator before they came to collect the car so its gone back to the factory standard.

When it comes back - assuming they've fixed the door mechanism - I'll double check the isolator before I reactivate the system... where would I be able to check the current capacity?
Post #553812 5th Aug 2016 7:08am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
So when you park up you switch the battery isolator? Doesn't this kill the supply to the 10as alarm system/BBUS?
Post #553814 5th Aug 2016 7:16am
K.M

It's wired around the negative terminal with a 20amp fuse on the OFF so its enough to allow the alarm, immobiliser and the central locking to continue to work but not enough to allow the car to start (blows the fuse, cuts the electrical feed and sounds the alarm etc....)
Post #553815 5th Aug 2016 7:18am
K.M

Right, so she has returned from LR having had a new actuator installed in the door to fix the locking issue.

As soon as I got her back I reinstalled the isolator and on first crank.... the alarm blipped.... With blissful ignorance I put it down to a one-off and thought nothing more of it. After a week of driving around I thought I'd cracked it as it started perfectly each time.... but now its back to normal and the alarm blip is becoming all too common.

Time to look at the isolator me thinks!

I cannot remember the mm2 of the cable used so I'll have a look late in the week and - if it isn't already - I'll replace with 35mm2 (the same as the standard cable). I've had a quick search and apparently the maximum A draw on crank can be up to 600A with the common start up been around 300A... the isolator is rated at 500A peak for 5 seconds.

What would cause a >500A draw?

Is there anything else I should be looking in to?

FYI - the isolator is wired around the negative, not the positive.
Post #557772 21st Aug 2016 8:10pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I think with the isolator they'll be a momentary disconnect as you turn it, thus causing the alarm to think the power has been cut. Not sure how you get around this....

Cheers

Simon
Post #557901 22nd Aug 2016 12:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1