↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Cumbria Green Lanes Nov 13 - our route
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Cumbria Green Lanes Nov 13 - our route
These are the details from our trip in November, all done by Defenders, D3s with side steps and a D4. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos of the start points but will try and describe them. Green Road details (OS Map extracts and route data sheets) can be found on Cumbria County Council Website here, some are one way, this will tell you

I can't get photos to link properly at present soi have added links where I can

http://cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/publ...Routes.asp

The way I chose to go was to print the OS map extracts A3 size, the using them and the data sheets, found the start points on Google maps on my I Pad. Once I had that it was fairly easy to mark the start points into my I Phone NavFree. I left it to the Sat Nav to take us between end and start points, it did seem to work quite well.

We stayed at the Windermere Manor hotel, good quality at a bargain price (£80 for a twin room, B&B and 2 course dinner for two).

We started off on the Breasthigh road, (OS91 South West U3278) starting at the western end from the A6. The entrance is marked and is on a slight right hand bend, on the left hand side (travelling North). There is a river crossing in the valley after maybe quarter of a mile, if you can't see the stepping stones I was advised by Hairy Dan not to cross it. There is a gate on this route that is narrow and you will need to do a bit of reversing to get lined up straight.

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/davetomli...0065818939

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/davetomli...0065818939

We then went back to the Windermere Ferry East side and went across the water (£4.30 per car).

From there we went to Grisedale (OS97 U5050). This starts directly opposite Griesdale Forrestry Comission Visitor centre, beside a cottage is a stoney track going uphill. I would imagine in the summer this may be a little overgrown.

From there we went to Tiberthwaite (OS90 South West U5001), my favourite. Accessed via aa narrow stone bridge and then there is an even narrower one a few hundred yards further on, but it is wide enough!!!!

After that it was up to the old coach road, (OS90 North West and north east, U3132 and 2236)accessed from the B5322.

We set off at 8:30 and came off the end of the old coach road around 5, with only minimal stops and pushing on.

If you want any morre details then just ask 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #315831 14th Mar 2014 8:06am
Cuthbert

Another most informative post - unfortunately the photo links seem to be broken?

Would you recommend the Breasthigh Road as worth a detour if passing by on the M6?
Post #316308 15th Mar 2014 11:52pm
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
I couldn't get it to link, copy and paste into your address bar.

The breasthigh road is great, well worth doing if you have an hour or two to spare.

Follow the link to my photobucket, then look under "off roading" and then look near the bottom for the Cumbria. album, I just can't seem to get there on an iPad for some reason. The first section of photos should be the breasthigh road

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/davetomli...amp;page=1 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #316331 16th Mar 2014 7:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1