↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Air box mod and decat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
LandieG

Rolling with laughter I said "something like" that - Ian at Dixon Fabrication will do lots better for less, including powdercoating them (as well as not welding crap-ly like the pic Shocked )

G
Post #515128 16th Mar 2016 10:18pm
LandieG

As they don't need to be metal, was also exploring a 3D printed one, but that wasn't as good value when I asked about…!
Post #515130 16th Mar 2016 10:19pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
H4mmy90 wrote:
I just took the lid off the air box and removed filter not to forget unclipping wires from the lid

Undid the jublie at each end of the pipe from air box to turbo to gain access to the dirty air feed pipe

Remove the bolt that holds the dirty pipe to the inner wheel arch to give a bit of slack

Then look into the air box and you will see where it lets the air in like a bit of tube patruding in, I then slid a 1/4 extension bar up inside the air box and on the top of the tube bit you can see like two plastic nipples which I pushed in with a flat head an then with the extension bar pushed the fan thing loose

I then lifted the air box slightly and pushed down and wiggled the dirty air pipe and got the mrs to slide out the fan thing

I didn't realise that the part only clipped in - I thought others had mentioned cutting it out.

Mine has this printed on the airbox and I wondered if it referred to this part and there were actually two different versions of the airbox:

Click image to enlarge
Post #515265 17th Mar 2016 11:35am
andre.prum

Luxembourg 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
advice on cyclonic pre filter
Hi,

After doing the air box modification, I have also changed the air intake from the Mantec snorkel into the airbox by replacing simple the OEM circuit by a large PVC tube with a smooth inner side sealed directly into the airbox. The engine runs very smoothly now with Pete's BAS remap offering plenty of power and torque.

With the rainy days coming up, I just wonder if during a all day long ride for instance on a rainy autoroute, in getting rid of the water separator in the airbox I do not run the risk that the filter gets wet and ultimately could be destroyed with pieces suck into the engine. I have left the water hole in the airbox so that some water could still evacuate.

The head of the Mantec snorkel induces an air turbulence that could already avoid some of the water to get into the air intake.

I would very much appreciate your views on

1) if the Mantec snorkel head sufficiently avoids mist and rain water to reach the air filter ?

2) What type of cyclonic pre filter could help to reduce even further the risk.

I have just bought a Donaldson Topspin H002425 refilter offering an operating flow ange of 200-450 CFM (5.7-12.7 m3/min). But the large plastic bowl is not really made for off-road use as I am afraid that a ride in the forest would easily destroy the pre filter. Donaldson is making a HD version of the Topspin filter. The model with the correct outlet (H002852) has an operating range of 150-275 CFM (4.2-7.8 m3/min). Below is a chart on the level of restriction of this filter.

My question are :

a) what airflow does the the PUMA 2.4 defender engine with the Bas remap require to work fine?

b) would the level of restriction of the Donaldson HD Topspin pre filter H002852 hamper the engine from developing comfortable power and torque?

c) is there any better alternative ?

many thanks in advance for your views in this
Post #558224 23rd Aug 2016 8:22am
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Ciao,

I have done the air box mod;

Click image to enlarge

I have also made a new wing vent adapter for my nice big bore intake pipe;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now, I have just been for a 45 minute drive in the pouring rain (puddle hopping) and thought I would check the air filter when I got back. One corner of it is soaked......

The filter vanes are dry but the stuff that looks like white scouring pad was drenched in one corner.

The top of the filter was also bone dry, so I'm not worried about water getting into the engine, I'm just wondering how wet would the air filter be with a standard air intake setup...?

Thoughts appreciated

Yan
Post #661997 5th Nov 2017 3:52pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Too dry to comment right now 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #662014 5th Nov 2017 5:21pm
familymad

Anyone else had a wet air filter only after the mod? 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #673437 26th Dec 2017 2:04pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Mines been fine for years, no water ingress at all Thumbs Up
Post #673498 26th Dec 2017 8:41pm
familymad

Right, modding the intake today and fitting a Naka intake kit. Will report back. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #676276 6th Jan 2018 8:09am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Been outside this morning and performed surgery on mine.

I left the airbox in place to do the work as I didn't fancy extracting the whole thing. If it helps, here's a bit of a walk through for anyone else thinking about doing the mod.

Remove the clean air hose from top of the airbox lid (jubilee clip) and disconnect the airflow sensor from the airbox lid (move red locking catch upward, then squeeze side of connector to remove).
    Stuff a rag into the clean air hose to stop any c**p getting where it shouldn't. Make sure nobody starts the engine with the rag in place Whistle
    Release the two clips which secure the airbox lid to the main body then remove the lid from the base. It hinges upwards from the clip end and then slides out from under the wing. If you have air con fitted, jiggle it around the air con pipe running from the compressor.
    Remove the air filter.
    From inside the airbox, cut away the tubular moulded section so you end up with the airbox looking like the pictures shown in earlier posts from custom90steve & Yannis. I did the rough work with a pair of side cutters and a cordless Dremel using a metal circular cutting saw, then a hot knife tip on a gas powered soldering iron to tidy up and smooth any jagged edges.
    Remove the fixed fan assembly. I did this by cutting through the blades with side cutters as much as I could, then grabbing bits of the fan with a pair of mole grips and twisting them out. After extracting a few blades, the whole centre section then twisted out. That just left the outer ring which was easy to pry out using a screwdriver.
    Vacuum away any plastic swarf and other pieces from the surgery, making sure the two drain holes in the base of the airbox are not clogged up. Make sure no bits of the fan are left in the dirty air inlet pipe to the airbox. The filter should catch anything that has been missed, but better to clean it out thoroughly than tempt fate.
    Refit the air filter and airbox lid.
    Remove rag from clean air hose, reconnect to air box lid and refit the air flow sensor connector plug.

Less than 30 minutes and job done. Including a trip to the 1st aid cupboard for a plaster to stem the flow of blood from a finger that was sliced open by a particularly sharp shard of plastic on a piece of the fan Rolling Eyes Big Cry At least I have added another layer of security by forensically marking part of the airbox with my own blood which I guess is almost as good as Smartwater.

I'll be going for a run in the Defender shortly and will report back.

Update after a quick run out :

Hard to say what improvement there is really, as I am still smiling from ear to ear with the BAS 150 remap I loaded before Xmas.
It may be wishful thinking but it seems to accelerate a little harder than before, pulling well in 3rd & 4th from lower RPM.
Post #676382 6th Jan 2018 3:51pm
Dean the BR12KY

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Aintree Green
I just carried out this mod, only took 30 minutes to do, I used a hack saw blade to cut out the plastic air inlet part inside of the box, was really easy, was tricky removing the propeller fan, but was made easyer by loosening the dirty air pipe mount on the wheel arch to allow the pipe to be pulled out from the box
Post #708115 19th May 2018 7:31pm
tx1836

Germany 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Caledonian Blue
wing cold air intake
Hi, just one question....I was thinking about ...
when you mod the air intake from snorkel to air box, bigger diameter,
has anyone tried to attache direcly to the wing cold air intake, square black plastic box , instead of using an adapter...?
Thanks Tom
Post #759783 20th Feb 2019 2:17pm
Yesjus

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
custom90steve wrote:
Okay here's the photos:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I haven't driven yet so I don't know what the difference will be, I've modified the box carefully being careful not to damage anything other than what I wanted to remove.
I used a soldering iron to melt away what I wanted, time consuming and crude though and made sure I didn't breathe any fumes. In the last photo you can see what I finished it up as for now.
Finished rough and I need to remove a little more of the lower collar area, but I'll tidy up the edges and make it look cleaner with a file etc when I get the chance.

Looking at doing this mod this weekend and was looking for pointers…your pics don’t seem to be on the server anymore? Could you upload again by any chance? Thanks
Post #977824 12th Jan 2023 11:16pm
Yesjus

custom90steve wrote:
Okay here's the photos:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I haven't driven yet so I don't know what the difference will be, I've modified the box carefully being careful not to damage anything other than what I wanted to remove.
I used a soldering iron to melt away what I wanted, time consuming and crude though and made sure I didn't breathe any fumes. In the last photo you can see what I finished it up as for now.
Finished rough and I need to remove a little more of the lower collar area, but I'll tidy up the edges and make it look cleaner with a file etc when I get the chance.

Looking at doing this mod this weekend and was looking for pointers…your pics don’t seem to be on the server anymore? Could you upload again by any chance? Thanks
Post #977825 12th Jan 2023 11:16pm
Yesjus

custom90steve wrote:
Okay here's the photos:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #977826 12th Jan 2023 11:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>