↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Tinted visors - motorbike helmets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Tinted visors - motorbike helmets
Im looking to get a good helmet soon for my motorbike, possibly a Shoei helmet. But how do riders go on when riding on a bright sunny day? If the helmet doesn't have an internal sun visor then what are the options? Wear sunglasses?
Post #319025 25th Mar 2014 6:43pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Yes, sunglasses believe it or not.

Unless something's changed since I last looked (possible), the rozzers can have you for a tinted visor.

Much safer to have sunglasses jammed between the visor and your face.

Good kit Shoei but I've always had Arai. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #319026 25th Mar 2014 6:46pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Buy a tinted visor and have your clear one with you in your top box. No one will give you grief if you've planned ahead and have the clear one with you. I used to ride with them all the time.

I was pulled into a coned off area where the Police were doing spot checks. After going over the bike etc we talked about the tinted visor, as it was 2pm on a sunny day and I had my clear one with me he was more than happy. Though did mention it would be a different conversation if I were wearing it at say 8pm or in bad weather.

I wear a Shoei Neotech for everyday (for hours on end) and highly rate it. Full face modular helmet with internal sun visor. I've also used the Schuberth R1 with the same spec but for me, slightly noisier.

I'm also pretty sure BMW do their own full face modular with internal sun visor too, that'd be worth a look.

Thumbs Up Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #319038 25th Mar 2014 7:31pm
dancerdave

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 Exclusive HT Santorini Black
if you go down the route of buying a helmet with an extra dark visor check how easy it is to swop visors. Shoei is easy but Arai helmets can be a real b**tard Evil or Very Mad
Another option is to decide which type of helmet you want - full face, open face or enduro. The Arai Tour X has a peak which shades your eyes from the sun and would match the type of bike you're gonna be riding. Bear in mind also an open face or "flip" helmet will be much noisier. Schuberth make the quietest lids and they also make the helmets which are badged as BMW.
Post #319044 25th Mar 2014 7:55pm
madrunner

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
There are a few options you can try - firstly and most importantly get a helmet that fits properly and is comfortable from the off.

I've had a few different helmets over the years and tried countless visor combos:

Dark tint race visor - fantastic on really bright days but encounter any shade or cloudy weather - useless.

Light tint - takes the glare off and the lightest tint can be used very effectively at night to reduce glare.

Pin lock inserts - a great idea for a dark insert but on my shoei left too much untinted visor which let all sorts of glare and bright sun through - in some conditions was truly I rideable.

I now ride with a bmw system 6 flip helmet - it's got a clear pin lock that goes right to the edges so eliminates fogging and a built in sun visor - utterly brilliant. 1 helmet for all weathers no need to carry visors or pin locks.
Post #319047 25th Mar 2014 8:04pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I used to wear skiing glasses in my lid. was very comfy, and with the visor up (like on hot sunny days, when you needed the shades) you got nice cooling around the head without bumble bees taking your eyes out.
Post #319060 25th Mar 2014 8:44pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I bought a Schuberth about 2 years ago. I love the flip-up at the petrol station, so I don't have to take off my whole helmet. It also makes it (for me) easier to take the helmet on and off. The sun visor is great, because it just flips away when you're not using it (most of the time) but it can be quickly deployed when you turn into the sun etc...

Click image to enlarge

I find it pretty quiet too - quieter than my last 2 lids...

Sunglasses seem to dig into my temple with the helmet on, not very comfortable... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #319065 25th Mar 2014 8:57pm
WarPig

Thanks everyone.

I was originally looking for a helmet with a peak, purely based on looks for my GSA touring bike, but Ive since been looking at the Shoei Neotech flip up helmet with integral sun visor, and with an added clear Pinlock anti mist visor which I think will be more suitable for me. Ill take a look at the Schuberth equivalent as well, I assume they are of a similar quality to Shoei?

Not sure yet if I need comms/bluetooth in the helmet, for my phone, but I guess its worth considering before I purchase anything. So, is it worth considering a helmet with built in comms, or maybe just get a separate comms system at a later date?

Shoei Neotech

Click image to enlarge

Schuberth C3 Pro

Click image to enlarge
Post #319114 25th Mar 2014 10:06pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Yes the Neotech and Schuberth are much of the same standard really. It comes down to which one fits you best as they're in a similar price bracket.

Down side with the Neotech is the colours. They only have solid colours, no fancy designs or anything. The Schuberth has one with a map of the world on it, which might suit a GS rider?

I'm on my second Matt black Neotech and have the bronze/gold coloured one as my spare. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #319155 25th Mar 2014 11:16pm
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
C3 is quieter I have both .
Post #319167 26th Mar 2014 12:06am
dancerdave

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 Exclusive HT Santorini Black
for comms I use Interphone F5. This gives intercom up to 1 mile range depending on terrain. Bluetooth to phone for calls/ music on phone. FM radio and it can be hardwired to a mp3 player. If you want it will also Bluetooth to your sat nav. Its a brilliant bit of kit and the intercom is great when out with mates.
The Bluetooth kits which come fitted to helmets have less features and are generally more expensive.
Post #319177 26th Mar 2014 1:22am
ken

United Kingdom 
Hornet for the Quad C3 for Road however I dont find it quieter than the other premium makes & 750 GBP with their own comms

Bell for the Fezza SLS & Lambo track training Thumbs Up
Post #319185 26th Mar 2014 7:04am
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
From having to carry a spare clear visor when i have gone out with my dark tint I have borrowed my brothers, white helmet with yellow visor. Ive never let him have it back since (visor that is, we both have same AGV helmets)

It brightens up dull days and give protection from being blinded on bright ones too.

My advice would try a load out first as they are all different shapes for different heads. Im lucky as im not that far away from M & P's so i can have a good look before buying.
Post #319194 26th Mar 2014 8:49am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
I use the Shoei Neotech. Nice helmet and the visor works a treat. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #319242 26th Mar 2014 3:20pm
WarPig

Click image to enlarge

Thanks everyone. Now I'm close to choosing my helmet, I just need to decide which colour. I guess I either get a white one to help make me visible, or a nice grey/black one to match the colour of my bike - R1200GSA like the one above.

Last edited by WarPig on 27th Mar 2014 1:25am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #319266 26th Mar 2014 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>