↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > VCV - vapour control valve?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
VCV - vapour control valve?
as mentioned before I'm no mechanic / diesel / combustion engineer.....

but I'd like to try and understand what the above part does because it almost seems like an un-necessary sensor when you consider there's a fuel rail pressure sensor?

so what does it measure and how does that affect other aspects of the fuel delivery system?
Post #292703 23rd Dec 2013 2:31pm
Lorryman100

First off its not a sensor, VCV is the Volume Control Valve. The VCV is located on the high-pressure side of the fuel pump. The valve regulates the fuel supply (and hence the quantity of fuel) coming from the transfer pump (low pressure side working on a vacuum of -20 to -30 Kpa) to the high-pressure side of the fuel pump, it is controlled directly from the EMS opening and closing depending on the fuel pressure of the rail, engine power demands etc. This makes it possible to match the delivery of the high-pressure fuel pump to the requirements of the engine from the low-pressure side, ie enough fuel is available on the high pressure side of the pump to allow maximum rail pressure and engine fuelling requirements to maintain a steady delivery of power from the engine. HTH Thumbs Up

A previous post

Lorryman100 wrote:

If none is found then I would move onto the Fuel pump, but first let me explain how it works.
The fuel pump contains and controls both the low pressure and high pressure systems. The low pressure side of the pump is responsible for getting the fuel from/and return to the tank and into the pump to be utilized in the high pressure system. It does this by using an eccentric cam to draw fuel along the fuel pipes and into the pump. There is an admissions valve to control the volume (also ensures that sufficient lubrication and cooling are always provided for the high-pressure pump components) and also a temp sensor to determine the fuel density by its temperature, if this sensor is faulty or unplugged the defender will enter limp mode. Fuel is then passed into the high pressure side by way of the Volume Control Valve which is controlled by the EMS. It basically governs the flow of fuel from the low to the high pressure side to maintain the fuel accumulator rail at a set pressure. It operates by means of the EMS using the information from the fuel rail pressure sensor to maintain the pressure at the fuel rail, about 1600BAR.
A total of 2 high-pressure chambers, each with a pump plunger, are used for high-pressure generation. The drive for the pump plungers is through an eccentric cam, which is in turn driven by the drive shaft. The high-pressure pump permanently generates the high system pressure for the fuel rail. The rotary movement of the drive shaft is converted to a reciprocating movement by the eccentric cam. The eccentric cam ring then transfers the reciprocating movement to the pump plungers. The pump plungers are offset by 180 degrees. This means that during a reciprocating movement, pump plunger 1 performs exactly the opposite movement to pump plunger 2. When the eccentric cam produces an upward stroke, pump plunger 1 moves in the direction of Top Dead Center (TDC), thus compressing the fuel and delivering it to the fuel rail via the outlet valve. The inlet valve is pressed into its seat by the delivery pressure. Pump plunger 2 is moved by the tension spring force in the direction of Bottom Dead Center (BDC). Due to the high pressure in the fuel rail, the outlet valve is pressed into its seat. The pump internal pressure opens the inlet valve and fuel flows into the high-pressure chamber. When the eccentric cam produces a downward stroke, the process is reversed.
So if we check the pressure at the rail, we can see if the high pressure pump is causing the issue. If not then the low pressure system must also be not at fault as it supplies the high pressure system. So next on the list is the injectors themselves, not much here you can check without removing them, and if you do you will need new copper washers first to replace the old ones. The faults here range from broken actuator springs to cracked pressure casings. Though if an injector was failing/failed then the solenoid on top would not operate as intended and would throw up a dtc in the EMS?
Post #292719 23rd Dec 2013 3:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

Lorryman100,

should have guessed you'd be along to enlighten me. many thanks.

all I can say is

Thumbs Up

have a great Christmas.
Post #292723 23rd Dec 2013 3:21pm
Caterham

so map sensor and vcv replaced. injector learn and pump all done.

no obvious improvements, certainly my intermittent 'knocking / injector noise' hasn't gone completely.

gave the MAF sensor and electrical connectors and wiring a good clean and wiggle last night.....

this moring the engine seemed very lively....almost like it was running away with itself (compared to what I'm used to) so it looks like next move is a MAF sensor.........

£150 from Ford Shocked

seems Ford are cheaper for some things and more for others Confused
Post #302513 27th Jan 2014 9:25am
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
For your sanity I would get rid Very Happy
Post #302517 27th Jan 2014 9:47am
munch90

England 
Caterham wrote:
so map sensor and vcv replaced. injector learn and pump all done.

no obvious improvements, certainly my intermittent 'knocking / injector noise' hasn't gone completely.

gave the MAF sensor and electrical connectors and wiring a good clean and wiggle last night.....

this moring the engine seemed very lively....almost like it was running away with itself (compared to what I'm used to) so it looks like next move is a MAF sensor.........

£150 from Ford Shocked

seems Ford are cheaper for some things and more for others Confused

when you say injector learn done what do you mean? because when you get a new injector the code for it is on a sticker with it in the bag or on the side of injector .. where did you get the codes for injectors?
Post #302520 27th Jan 2014 10:20am
Caterham

codes are injectors themselves.....now copied and kept with my service manual.

- get rid of..........where's the fun in that?
Post #302523 27th Jan 2014 10:25am
munch90

England 
ok
was it about a 16 digit code copied off the injector .did you take injectors out ?
Post #302526 27th Jan 2014 10:27am
Caterham

yes I believe it was a 16 digit.

injectors were not removed......I seem to recall some stickers where still in place??
Post #302532 27th Jan 2014 10:57am
munch90

England 
ok .. some did have a large sticker on timing case with the codes on it ..

with our machine you code injectors in firing order
1 2 3 4 =
1 3 4 2

if that makes sense

also to be honest sometimes we have coded injectors and it makes them run worse
we fit injector test run it first before coding if all good leave it as I said sometimes it makes them worse

does it make noise s when you first start or how long into jornney ?
is it after car has been standing for a while like days ?
Post #302541 27th Jan 2014 11:44am
Caterham

to be honest it varies but this morning is not unusual.....

ie when I first pull off the engine sounds smooth even tho cold and been standing a few days, the engine kind of feels like it wants to 'run away', like its got a manual choke but then others times (usually when warm) it feel like the complete opposite.....as if its running too lean ?

gave the MAF a good clean last night with electrical contact cleaner. seems hugely better but firstly not sure if it'll be back to its 'normal' self later and secondly did jiggling the wires make any difference (often been one of my suspects) ?
Post #302553 27th Jan 2014 1:05pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Aren't MAF sensors about 40 quid?
I put in an OEM one and it's been fine for 18 months:
http://www.lrdirect.com/MHK501040-Sensor-A...3godm04Aag Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #302556 27th Jan 2014 1:27pm
Caterham

hence I didn't buy it from Ford.
Post #302564 27th Jan 2014 2:08pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Well you might have said Rolling Eyes
Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #302578 27th Jan 2014 3:08pm
munch90

England 
does it run fine if you use it everyday?
Post #302674 27th Jan 2014 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>