↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Grammar Nazi thread!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well Eduardo, I personally would not be able to communicate in Spanish. That I would leave to Barbara.

I must admit, even as a native English I had to look up the meaning of orthography Thumbs Up

A quick look at a poster's location/ name should give a strong clue to if they are native English speaker or not.

Let's face it this is an international forum where the common interest is in the Land Rover Defender range rather then an English grammar forum. Hopefully this thread will not discourage our non native English speaking from contributing towards this international English language forum.

So as long as a poster manages to express their main idea clearly, does it really matter if grammatically speaking it is not 100% perfect?

However I will admit it does mildly annoy me if people use the word no rather then the word know, however I am more interested in the main point of their post rather then it being perfectly correct English.

Brendan

PS Yes I am guilty of not checking my post by using the preview button. Also at times I get told off for writing in note form
Post #292597 23rd Dec 2013 3:27am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Would not a better title for this thread be 'grammar pedant' rather than the implications of 'grammar Nazi'. Being a bit pedantic is one thing but it's a whole different level to being a Nazi. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #292601 23rd Dec 2013 6:19am
lambert.the.farmer

Also, at what point in time are we setting the datum for correct use of the language? Ought we to be reverting to the use of the 1940's or maybe even the 1840's? Language changes over time in a constant and unpredictable way, it does not diminish as a result, we are still able to communicate ideas even across thousands of years and that is not a bad trick for a troop of upright apes. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #292602 23rd Dec 2013 6:36am
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
The point of reference is now. Why would it be anything else?

Also, why 'pedant'? A pedant is someone who is unecessarily or ostentatiously over-particular about things that are minor or irrelevant.

What's pedantic about just communicating clearly and accurately?

Mind you, this place is positively Shakespearean compared to Landyzone. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #292603 23rd Dec 2013 7:14am
lambert.the.farmer

Double post. Sorry. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.

Last edited by lambert.the.farmer on 23rd Dec 2013 8:15am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #292604 23rd Dec 2013 7:46am
lambert.the.farmer

That is the point, now is an ever changing place and to set a datum for language use as now is to effectively constrain the evolution of the language to a set point in time. Grammar is the observed rules used by speakers of a language to construct words into meaningful phrases and sentences. This will and ever has changed over time. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #292607 23rd Dec 2013 8:14am
vulcanfreak

2006 Defender 90 Td5 Silver LE Zambezi Silver
Mind you, this place is positively Shakespearean compared to Landyzone.[/quote]

LOL PMSL er sorry no, I mean, blimey, I almost had an accident in the trouser department involving urine, due to laughing so much Laughing
Post #292611 23rd Dec 2013 8:26am
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Would not a better title for this thread be 'grammar pedant' rather than the implications of 'grammar Nazi'. Being a bit pedantic is one thing but it's a whole different level to being a Nazi.

'Grammar Nazi' long ago developed into an internet meme that took on a life of its own (see my link in the first post, although you have to be familiar with the oeuvre of Mr Tarantino for it to make any sense). Rolling with laughter

Quote:
Mind you, this place is positively Shakespearean compared to Landyzone.

You sir, owe me a new keyboard! Bow down Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #292627 23rd Dec 2013 10:19am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Give us a brake. I dunno wot u lot r on about. I reckon that sureley their are far more important things for peeps to worry thereselves about. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #292637 23rd Dec 2013 10:58am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I don't have a problem with bad grammar on this forum as long as I can get the context or jist of the post.

I do have a problem with atrocious grammar if used in EBay ads or Gumtree listings etc.

If you want to sell it to me please review your ad or find a friend who can spell , you all know the classic words that are regularly misappropriated .
Post #292649 23rd Dec 2013 11:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kraut

Germany 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Would not a better title for this thread be 'grammar pedant' rather than the implications of 'grammar Nazi'. Being a bit pedantic is one thing but it's a whole different level to being a Nazi.

Have I been called? (sorry for this, but as a German....)

To be honest very interesting thread. When reading on here I have been wondering severall times if it just was my limited english knowledgements, colloquial english that I don't always understand (school didn't teach that) or just very bad and wrong english from one and another author.
I'm still on here on a regular basis to read about LRs, even I sold my Defender (though still very very LR-hearted) but for improving my english too, but you guys sometimes make it very hard to use this here as my costless english lessons!!! Sad
Post #292722 23rd Dec 2013 3:19pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Can't stand it when someone is explaining something, on the tele or radio, and they keep saying "you know" all the time, when I don't. That's why they are telling us!

I promise to get out more!

Merlin
Post #293012 24th Dec 2013 7:35pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I tend to read a thread, especially the first post in a thread, and if it's utter garbage, lack of pronounciation/spelling etc, and the poster appears to be English, then I'll just ignore it, even if I know the answer.

Last edited by diesel_jim on 25th Dec 2013 8:39am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #293044 24th Dec 2013 11:18pm
walfy

I'm with Jamie on this. I spent the last 4 yrs of my military career writing reports and driving a desk. My boss was a grammar nazi. We had a whole book on how to write in a military fashion. He knew the book inside out. My early reports used to come back covered in red pen. And I now find I'm the same 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #293050 24th Dec 2013 11:55pm
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
brake = noun, the device that stops a vehicle
break = verb, separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain; interrupt (a continuity, sequence, or course).

You have a breakdown, not a brakedown.

And breathe. Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #297962 11th Jan 2014 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>