↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dealer re-flashed ECU - what a difference!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Dealer re-flashed ECU - what a difference!
Nigel in the service dept was fantastic. Fixed all the issues I had (windows, doors, broken trim etc) and then re-flashed the ECU with the very latest software. I'd been having some issues with a noisy engine (i know - but even for a Defender) and a lot of whiplash in the transmission.

I've just driven back to the office in Stoke from Shukers in Shrewsbury, so I had a chance to take her on a decent run.

What a difference. Quieter, smoother, much less "clunk and bang" during gear changes and most importantly no more kangarooing! The transmission slap and shunt at low speeds (5-15mph) is all but gone.

Much better. Big Thumbs Up to Nigel @ Shukers.
Post #291431 18th Dec 2013 3:40pm
rover

United Kingdom 
I have the same symptoms with my 2012 110. It's been back to the dealers and got the usual it's fine they are all like that . Sounds like land rover have a cure but my dealer couldn't be arsed to do it. Do you know the reference or name of the ecu adjustment so I can go to the dealer and tell them what I want them to do.
Post #292958 24th Dec 2013 4:11pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I stopped having software upgrades quite a while ago. If you've got issues with your vehicle and you know the upgrade will cure it fair enough. Just remember the following points....

K9F wrote:
As a footnote to this your ECU has 15 non-re-writable slots on it. After 15 updates/reprogrammes then what?
'Muggins' has to source and pay for a new ECU....Ask your dealer Workshop Manager to explain it to you....Mine admitted it when 'pressed!'
Dog Thumbs Up Dog

K9F wrote:
Rolling with laughter It does make me chuckle when people rush off to get the latest software upgrade from the Dealers! Invariably in my opinion the 'eagerness' to have it done is twofold: 1. It's free and 2. They expect their Defender to have the performance characteristics of a space rocket afterwards! Having had historical upgrade issues in the past my ethos is 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!' The next owner of my vehicle can have the updates installed if they so wish! Also once your ECU's available slots are clogged with upgrades who is going to shell out for a replacement, certainly not the dealers?
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #292965 24th Dec 2013 4:56pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
IS the "limited reflash" myth true, or just spread about by main dealers and tuners to try to stop us great unwashed from playing?

I've read (on here) that the Td5 ECU can only be flashed so many times, then someone (again on here) piped up that he'd been playing and tweekeing his defender and reflashed the ECU "hundreds" of time with no problem.
Post #292968 24th Dec 2013 5:09pm
walfy

I can't see there being limited flashes available. Otherwise what would happen if there were more patches/flashes required than slots available but still within the warranty period.
Doesn't make commercial sense to limit it 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #292975 24th Dec 2013 5:37pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
One of the tuners would be able to clarify perhaps? 15 upgrades in a three year warranty I don't think that viable even from LR's perspective or from a practicality point of view because they would have to provide the replacement ECU? Think there were four or five upgrades available for me in that period. But from a commercial view of course it makes perfect sense as they themselves (JLR) would be for the most the main provider of the replacement and the necessary programming.

Maybe it is indeed a myth. Anyone fancy Mythbusting? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #292978 24th Dec 2013 5:50pm
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Most chips have a maximum number of writes . Anybody know the chipset ? I could tell you .
Post #293007 24th Dec 2013 6:53pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Can re-flashing only be done by the dealer? I have a 2004 td5 and wondered if having it done would make a difference to an occasional rough running problem
Post #293015 24th Dec 2013 7:48pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
There won't be anything to re write on a td5 I have the dealer tool and can do updates on all landrover models

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #293016 24th Dec 2013 7:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1