↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fine bush scratches on 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It's just cutting compound, basically rougher polish to take the top layer off then your best using a fine polish to get full shine back.
Post #291132 17th Dec 2013 5:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
In other words if you go to mad with it you could cause big problems..? Shocked
I.e. Flat it Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #291133 17th Dec 2013 5:21pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
You could cause big problems yes. Flatting uses wet and dry sand paper and cutting compound is a bit less aggressive but you need to go easy on either because if you go through the lacquer it's repainting time
Post #291136 17th Dec 2013 5:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Indeed, I know how easy that is to do on other items.
And that is with a decent layer and thickness of clear coat.
I've seen a scratch repairing pen thing in my local petrol station I think from WD40 if I'm not mistaken believe it of not.
It is 12 quid though but I often wonder if the slightest smear of clear over the top would sort it out. It seems to met gag the velar coat has been rubbed just enough to go down to a matt scratch and take the gloss away.
Ultimately they will happen what ever you do really and avoiding getting them at all is best.
If there was decent pain in there in the first place it wouldn't happen. Sad Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #291162 17th Dec 2013 6:56pm
jimbob7

Compound is just another "technical" word for polish and is used the same way as T-cut. To get rid of the orange peel and scratches I wet flatted mine 1500 grit then 2-2500,I only had Farecla G10 (not the Halfords stuff) which is really for finishing off but I aint buying more compound so it took me a while,point I'm trying to make is even after wet flatting and machine polishing I still didn't burn thru* so polishing by hand is highly unlikely to cause problems.

*complete and utter lie,I did burn thru (a little bit of clear coat),but only coz I was (stupidly) rushing trying to finish on one of the hottest days (was in the shade of the house,but the panels were still to warm) of the year. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #291297 18th Dec 2013 12:08am
Cuthbert

Before attacking your vehicle - go and dig around some of the car detailing websites/forums. Some of the earlier posts are well intentioned nonsense ............ If the scratches/markings haven't gone through the top layer of lacquer - it is likely you can fully recover the previous appearance. You are now aware that maybe green laning with a pristine vehicle in that colour/finish has some downsides? Ex-MoD Defenders (brush painted) are a slightly more practical proposition for going through the overgrown countryside.
Post #291308 18th Dec 2013 12:41am
jhnstap

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
This is a good site as it has step by step tutorials, also good products-takes you through all the process's

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/ I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine
Post #291344 18th Dec 2013 9:53am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You can buy polish which has coloured dye in it - black for example - this will reduce the white appearance of the lines
Post #291567 19th Dec 2013 12:21am
Cuthbert

This forum on detailing takes polishing and cleaning to a different level - not for them a bucket, an old sponge and a squirt of Fairy Liquid and then a coat of Turtle Wax that you found at the back of your Dad's garage and dated 1973 .

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php
Post #291780 19th Dec 2013 11:12pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Take a look at this:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024

There are some very good diagrams about car paint systems which make it clear what type of scratches you can polish out and what you can't. I've tried various 'magic potions' and 'miracle cures' in the past but none have been satisfactory until I invested in a Kestrel dual action (DA) polisher. If you're interested in doing it yourself then take time, get the proper kit and have a go, it's not difficult but you do need to understand what you're doing to avoid damage. If you're just after a quick fix then don't waste money on T Cut (or anything else for that matter), take it into a professional car detailer or your local Land Rover bodyshop and get them to do it for you.
Post #291877 20th Dec 2013 10:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12