↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > headlights.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
headlights.
Quick question, i have a td5 90, 2006 and the dipped lights arnt working and the main beams do. Would it be the dim dip relay.....is this a common fault or does anyone out there know what it would be or have you had the same experience? Rolling Eyes
It is running 55w HID's sand because they work on main beam i am presuming it is something to do with the car. Due to the wattage being 55w (not the nnorlmal35w units) it could have cooked the relay on startup? They use a massive voltage surge
Post #291001 17th Dec 2013 8:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
if it has dim-dip there is a pink relay behind the dash, these can be bypassed easily, but your problem is probably the stubby light switch, these melt with any bulb other than 55/60's
Post #291006 17th Dec 2013 9:11am
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
....I think the stubby switch just melts for fun.....it doesn't matter what the bulbs are! Sad .

It is at least not an onerous job to replace it.
Post #291008 17th Dec 2013 9:25am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yep sounds like the switch.

Andy
Post #291009 17th Dec 2013 9:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you have main beam but not dip it's more likely to be the dip/flash/indicator switch (long stalk) than the lights on/off switch (short stalk) suggested above.

Either or both of these switches tend to heat up causeing the plastic to soften and the contacts to move.
Post #291016 17th Dec 2013 10:03am
Will.I.AM

thanks guys, i will have a look at lunch and get the bits i need.
Post #291035 17th Dec 2013 10:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
you need to sort the thing out properly and relay the headlights, otherwise this will keep happening.

The guide below is based on my 1985 90 with a 200tdi, so there will be some differences (eg where I've mounted the relays may not be accessible)

What you need (this is based on the relays being mounted under the n/s wing - worth checking all measurements for your own installation):

2 relays
2 relay sockets (optional)
2 headlight connectors
box (optional)
4m of 4mm brown wire - feed to the relays.
5m of 2mm blue/white wire and 5m of 2mm blue/red wire - feed from relay to lights
2m of 2.5mm black wire - earth for headlights (could prob get away with 1m if necessary)
unsplit convoluted tubing - I went for 2m of 13mm and 5m of 10mm (all int diameter)
3 connectors for the tubing - 1 for the 13mm and two for the 10mm
Couple of fuses - I went for 15am although 10a would be fine

the usual selection of heatshrink and terminals.

total cost for the above from PoleVolt was just under £30. I tended to over order the quantities slightly to ensure I didn't run out.

First job: decide where you want to put the relays. I opted for under the passenger wing in a waterproof ABS box. I mounted it on a bit of galv steel I had laying around, bolted under the airbox mount.

I used a piece of hardboard to screw the relaybrackets to. This was a 'wedge' fit, but also glued in place.

Then drill holes in the sides of the box, where the tubing (and wires) will come in:

Next: Cut the brown 4mm wire in half. Connect the brown wires to your fuse box (I have a separate fuse box in the battery box). I ran the wires out of the grommet where the main battery live cable comes out. Once outside the battery box, feed it into the large convoluted tubing and find a suitable route to the relay box/mount

Now measure enough of the two blue wires to reach from the relays to the closest headlight. Cut this length off.

With the rest, feed into the small convoluted tubing and run around the engine bay/bulkhead to the other headlight.

Connect all the convoluted tubing to the connectors in the box

You should now have, in the box, two brown wires 4 blue wires (two to each light).

Now run earth wires for the relay into the box.

Connect the wires to the terminals supplied with the relay sockets and clip them into the socket (make sure they are in the right holes! - the relay will come with a diagram detailing which wire needs to go to which pin). Each relay should be for each 'function' - ie one does the dip and one does main beam. As such, both blue/white or blue/red wires should go in the same terminal in the relay socket.

The box should now look something like this:

Now disconnect the original wiring from the nearest headlight (mine has bullet connectors so pretty easy). I cut the bullet off and fed the wires into the relay box and used them as the 'switch' power on the relay.

The box should now be ready for the relays to be fitted and everything to get sealed up:

Next - you need to take the headlight out so that you can access the back - this is done by removing the three screws holding the rim on. The light should now pull out. Disconnect the old connector from the lamp.

I then cut this off and battled with the grommet in the light housing. A bit of brute force and the old wires came out. I then poked the new wires (from the relay) into the grommet and pushed the grommet back into place. Use new earth wire to earth the light.

Then connect the terminals to the wires and pushed them into the correct socket on the new connector and reconnect it.

Screw the headlight back in and repeat for the other side.

All being well it should all now work.

Here's my mounting plate for the relay box. I earthed the n/s headlight and both the relays to it and then ran a seperate wire to the chassis - where the starter is currently earthed

Post #291039 17th Dec 2013 10:50am
mark_d

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have you put a normal bulb in to rule out a problem with the HID kit? http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #291164 17th Dec 2013 7:02pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
I was going to suggest bulb testing as the very first job.

I had both my dip elements blow on the same day, not a switch or a relay problem. Just the blown bulbs. It was odd. BM52
Post #291170 17th Dec 2013 7:28pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
If one bulb blows, the other gets more current as the standard wires/switches are poor, doesn't surprise me that both went on the same day.
Post #291524 18th Dec 2013 10:02pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sorry mrd but not sure I follow your logic.

A standard bulb is basically a resistive element.

Voltage = current x resistance

Voltage is basically controlled by battery/alternator and resistance is basically constant so current flowing through bulb would not particularly altered if other bulb goes out!

Brendan
Post #291545 18th Dec 2013 11:08pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Don't forget wires also have resistance which increase as voltage decreases.

Both lights cause voltage drop at the end of the loom which results in resistance increasing in the wires, when one bulb goes out, the voltage rises causing resistance to drop and more current to flow to the other..

In theory!

Speaking from personal experience with my 100w spots, I noticed 1 would dip slightly when the other was connected, the longer the wire, the greater the dip. When connected with just 10 inches of cable from the battery, the dip was not noticeable. Thumbs Up
Post #291930 20th Dec 2013 2:09pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Quote:
Don't forget wires also have resistance which increase as voltage decreases.

Completely untrue.

Taking it back to basics, V=I x R
And therefore, R = V / I
If you decrease the Voltage while maintaining a constant current, the resistance decreases proportionately.

Pete
Post #292186 21st Dec 2013 3:43pm
Will.I.AM

hey, i found out it was the HID units after all that. For everyoines info, i got them from HID Direcd. I ordered them and recieved them a week later!!!! (after paying 6.99 for next day), i then ordered some H3 ones for my front lights and they also came late, on a saturday when we wernt afround, i then got told i would have to go a nd collect them from post office myself they couldn't arrange a redelivery!!!

Rubbish service and disapointing.

Back top the trusty osram nightbreakers!!!!!! Bow down Bow down
Post #292608 23rd Dec 2013 8:14am
ronwong

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Any idea if this "problem" is still in the puma or just td5 and prior?
Post #328916 7th May 2014 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>