Home > Tdi > Air intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alex1976

England 
Air intake
Hi All,

I was servicing the Defender yesterday and when doing the air filter I thought the air intake is rather restrictive. I left the fromt of the air cleaner canister off and took it for a drive today - seems to make a massive improvement in pick up and ooomph. It is as if the intake pipework is too restrictive and suffocating the engine to some degree. It has a real intake roar when driving it with the canister end removed, but that is quite nice in a way.

Has anyone else experimented with different intake set ups. particularly less restricitive arrangements?
Post #290717 16th Dec 2013 12:44am
Timo K

Finland 
I can imagine.

I recently installed a Mantec snorkel with a mushroom top, there was a very distinct difference to low rpm torque and throttle response, both were noticeably worse after the install.

While installing the RAI, I (once again) couldn't help but wonder what on earth LR engineers thought of when designing the side intake tubing. The diameter is fine really, but the plastic scoop that's just behind the intake grille and front wing is maybe half the diameter of the rest of the system, combined with the fact that it's a double 90deg angle, it has to constrict the airflow quite a bit...

When I have the time I'll just tilt the filter canister 90deg and run the flexi hose just between the washer bottle and heater, cut a hole on the side of the bonnet and run it through that to the stovepipe outside... I'm confident it'll flow as good (or even better) as stock with no snorkel.
Post #290758 16th Dec 2013 10:26am
Alex1976

England 
Timo

I think you are right. A direct tube to your snorkel will make a big difference.

I am thinking about how I could do a custom air bin in place of the original that would give unrestricted airflow to the filter.

Driving it again today really did notice how much more it just pulls as if it is just breathing easier. I have an ITG filter and now I am thinking if I had a less restrictive exhaust it would really start to make a difference.

I am surprised that no one has ever done anthing to resolve this issue considering all the other tuning parts there are out there.
Post #290871 16th Dec 2013 7:31pm
Timo K

Finland 
You could maybe just use the air filter canister from a Range Rover Classic? It uses a similar filter in a similar housing, but has a trumpet intake on the front of the canister as opposed to the side inlet (under the filter canister) on the Defender.
Post #291178 17th Dec 2013 7:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1