Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landyphil

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 USW Stornoway Grey
The distant sound of a small dog "yelping"..Really
I'm not joking!

So history:

We noticed with increasing frequency that when you started or stopped the engine or let off the throttle or changed gear there was a "yelp" from somewhere in the engine bay.

Now I admit this seemed to be worse when warm but non the less the EGR valve makes a different noise and when you knocked the engine off the noise would would occur as well as the usual EGR cleaning itself noises.

Transmission slack seemed to be at an all time high and it's a pre 4th generation age clutch so have bitten the bullet and sent it in to the dealer for a new clutch kit and got it back today. I have faith in the dealer and they had left the old clutch for me to view. Half of the springs were either snapped or could nigh on fall out.

It's a different motor to drive with no transmission slack (I keep on top of the drive flanges) BUT...

After a few miles the noise is back exactly as before!

Having had a good listen with the bonnet up and someone starting or stopping the engine it sounds like it's LH side of the engine bay.

I'd think EGR but I've heard the noise at the same time as the EGR as it's much higher pitched but always a short sharp noise.

One thing that does make me wonder is that I seem to be able to hear the turbo a little more. I'll put the laptop on it soon and see what it's doing regarding boost pressure and EGR. I can't see the little stepper motor that adjusts the turbo vanes making so much noise and there's been no warning lights at all.

It's annoying me greatly! 90XS Tdci John Eales
110 CSW G4 Edition
88" Series 3 Racer
Post #289894 12th Dec 2013 7:22pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mine has just started doing the exact same.

My clutch has been on the way out for far too long with the clutch rattle starting about 7000miles ago. About to change the clutch, but yesterday the 'yelping' started when I turned the engine off. It seemed to replace the 'chukka' noise. The engine light came on yesterday having done 250 miles into a 600mile journey. Sudden loss of power so pulled over. Restarted and the power was back, but the light remained on. Checked codes and no faults showing up. As the journey progressed the yelping would start when taking foot off accelerator at about 20mph. It is steadily getting more frequent with still no codes coming up.
Post #289999 13th Dec 2013 12:12am
Landyphil

^ Yup that is EXACTLY the symptoms although I've yet to get a limp mode or loss of power....but wife needs to use it tomorrow so will have the toughbook plugged in today.

I'm beginning to doubt myself and wonder if it is EGR based. Will see if the there are any spikes or sticking points if I set it record the EGR feedback while driving.

Under warranty the other year we had the MIL light on and it was the unsurprising "too much clean air entering my manifolds rather than eating my own crap that I should be using for no good reason" fault code.

A graph of the EGR feedback showed it kept jamming.

Will hopefully find out. 90XS Tdci John Eales
110 CSW G4 Edition
88" Series 3 Racer
Post #290443 15th Dec 2013 10:45am
Landyphil

Got it!

It's the EGR. It seems that the rate of commanded EGR varies with revs so driving on normal road speeds it opens and shuts the EGR quite quickly BUT letting off throttle at lower revs or gear changes (same thing I guess) it seems to instantly want a lot of EGR!

That spike of demanded EGR coincides with the "yelp" every single time. I'd guess the crappy nylon gears coated with soot are shuffling off their mortal coil having completed their life of evil.

Oddly though even the cleaning cycle when you knock the engine off sounds normal but it doesn't seem such a steep curve as gear changes?

Either way I can either change the EGR (spend money on something that shouldn't be fitted in the first place) OR....(and I'll have a search now) find if anyone can leave my map standard (quite happy with it) but deactivate the EGR so it just remains shut but doesn't flag up the "too much clean air passing through the MAF" warning light and code. 90XS Tdci John Eales
110 CSW G4 Edition
88" Series 3 Racer
Post #290453 15th Dec 2013 12:01pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I now have an EGR closed map but historically it was a different one. Here's a potential solution from a four year old thread....

K9F wrote:
As a footnote and from a reliable source 'in the trade' my query has been answered - "Brake cleaner or petrol is the best cleaning solutions for EGR valve cleaning."

Thanks Anyway!
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #290455 15th Dec 2013 1:04pm
Landyphil

I did wonder about cleaning but it's putting off the inevitable. It's a poor piece of kit that has no place in my engine bay and the last one only made 40K before it was nailed. 90XS Tdci John Eales
110 CSW G4 Edition
88" Series 3 Racer
Post #290509 15th Dec 2013 4:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1