↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > minor paint warranty work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
minor paint warranty work
Hi there. I've recently bought a 2011 90 pickup which is soon to be converted to soft top.
My question is on the near side under the screen bracket (the bit that was a hinge) I have a patch of rust coming through with damage to the paint (well its come off already and is bare metal) about the size of a golf ball. (solid atm)

Just wondered what they will class this as because its coming up to 3 years old, so the paint side wont be covered soon, although hope they cant deny its corrosion.
Also how long do they normally take to do this sort of repair as its only this and the usual mud flap brackets. Only reason for asking is that its lookers Colchester so will need to be using there courtesy vehicle (which they charge for!)
Many thanks
Tom Defender puma dormobile camper

Last edited by SailingTom on 14th Feb 2014 4:08pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #289504 11th Dec 2013 4:03pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Tom,

My advice would be to take your vehicle into one of our dealerships asap!

Without knowing the full vehicle details, pictures, history etc I could not answer what this work would be classed as. If it is covered under warranty they Lookers may be able to get you a vehicle from Enterprise (our car hire company) instead of you using one of their's.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #289505 11th Dec 2013 4:14pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Thanks Mike
I've got it booked in for next week, was just curious as to how they will classify it in case anything similar happens in the future as to my eyes its corrosion caused.
The vehicle has done 15,000 miles and the only other warranty work its had was a leaking shock. Paint work wise and mechanically its perfect other than this small patch of rust, which looks to have been caused by the seal trapping water? Normally id have sorted something like it myself, its just its in an awkward location and is on the main bodywork you see, so don't fancy it really.
Its just the time scale which is an issue for me as not sure how long these things usually take.
Thanks Tom Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #289508 11th Dec 2013 4:22pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
On the phone lookers have been perfect I might add and cant fault the customer service Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #289510 11th Dec 2013 4:23pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Tom,

Really glad to hear Lookers have been helpful so far.

If its just small patch I can not imagine it would take long (although I am no bodywork repairer). The process is Lookers will take photos of the area in question and then send them to our warranty team. In turn our warranty team will assess the photos and get back to the dealership asap (this is normally a very quick process). Then it is down to Lookers to get the work done as efficiently as possible.

Let me know how it goes, if you have any issues just let me know.

Mike
Post #289516 11th Dec 2013 4:34pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Thanks again Mike.
that's the info I was after really Smile
Ill post an update after they have it in on Thursday. Cant see it being to much of an issue, but didn't fancy doing it myself when I don't need to.
Like you say though needs to be sorted as quick as possible while its still solid metal!
Many thanks
Tom Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #289518 11th Dec 2013 4:42pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
my 'hinges' and mudflap brackets were replaced under warranty at 3.5yrs no problems Smile Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #289520 11th Dec 2013 4:48pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Thanks David
Hopefully, it all be fine then for the mud flap brackets! Surprisingly the hinge bracket that always seems to be a problem is fine, its my actual bulkhead from behind the bracket and next to it rusting that's the problem. its not that bad but I'm pretty fussy so it needs to be sorted out as will be letting it down once I've finished with it.
Cheers Tom Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #289527 11th Dec 2013 5:16pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
yeah, you're very much best off keeping on top of it. once it starts to take hold its near impossible to beat back, but if you stay on top of it it should last forever Smile best of luck Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #289564 11th Dec 2013 7:55pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Just an update.
Getting there slowly the paint and front mud flaps were approved to be done. The back weren't as id touched them up a bit so 'contaminated it'. Fair enough though im not that bothered as sorted it out myself anyway.
Was told to expect a phone call that evening, but heard nothing until I was phoned to rate the service and the quality of the work done after a couple of weeks! I might have shocked him a bit with my answer and was told he'd enquire and call back straight away after apologising (im still waiting)
Chased them up today and will have to take it back to them so they can get the paint shop person to see it to give them a quote, id of thought that would have been done the day they had it in!
Still being at an awkward time of year delays are to be expected. I decided to upgrade the front mud flap mounts myself in the mean time to galvanised wider ones aswell as can see the ones they fit would do the same again as its the part that's the problem.
So going back again the 8th and then to find out when the paint work can be done! On the plus side courtesy vehicles have been sorted out each time and all of the lookers staff have been very apologetic about it and great when I've phoned and seen them at the dealers
Just got to wait and see how well the bit being resprayed is done now/ when Laughing Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #295149 2nd Jan 2014 5:50pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Well an update again
should be being collected from the paint shop tomorrow, hopefully its all correct this week.
Hasn't taken long to sort to be fair only since 11th December 2011- 14th February 2014!
Luckily most of the wait has been them sorting paperwork, but have had to spent 3 weeks in an A class! (well 2 but 1 was returned)
Lookers in my opinion have been very good though, the less said about there approved paint shop the better. I've found them very unprofessional.
Part the problem was at the time It was in I decided to have two parking dings removed. Still spoken to the manager a couple of times and my side of the bill has been reduced and he was fairly understanding and apologetic.
I only used them as they were the approved body-shop and ironically i thought it would be quicker!
Must say despite a 50% reduction, I still wouldn't ever consider using them again.
Fingers crossed tomorrow goes smoothly and a decent job so I can get the land rover back though. Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #308065 14th Feb 2014 4:21pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Land Rover body shops unfortunately have to follow stringent rules regarding respraying and this process does not involve the use of anti-rust treatment or sealants. Subsequently a year after spraying the corrosion on mine reappeared. For the subsequent respraying I supplied my own Fertan and sealant and got a 'proper job' done which to date has not reappeared.
I wouldn't hesitate using the bodyshop again as they were very helpful and on their own admission are quite restricted as to what they are 'allowed' to do under warranty repairs. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #308070 14th Feb 2014 4:29pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
It wasn't that that was so much the issue with mine.
without naming the center as the job was perfect finish just the wrong colour!
What I had the issue with was being lied to about when the job was done, I've been told on 3 occasions it was at the last step from week 1 and its cost me having to book 3 different days off work, when in reality they hadn't started it.
I've also been told so many times they will call me back its unreal (I haven't received 1 call off them, even the manager calling me back I had to chase up)
Really in all honesty the service with that and a filthy unroadworthy courtesy car, which I had to spend an afternoon cleaning or I'd of been filthy getting in it was appalling service.
As for being limited to what they can do I agree except for the bit im paying for privately, which they can do what they like on.
Its a shame, but I wont most likely use them again even if it now comes out perfect.

Edit. To clarify the problem area has no corrosion and is the ding repair above the wheel arch on the back pannel which is being completely resprayed to get a perfect result. Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #308078 14th Feb 2014 4:46pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Its Back, Job Done!
They have done a good job on the rear pannel and looks like new again.
Not to chuffed that they have put a couple of rear scuffs on the corner though, but ill try and sort those out the best I can with t cut, also it would appear they weren't to bothered about re bolting on my bumperettes as only put 2 of the 4 in and have lost them, along with a mark on the front to t cut.
Sadly if any of my future land rover products need paint work ill have it sorted privately or refuse to use them.
To top it off If I hadn't made a fuss they were going to charge me for a week with the hire car, when I only had it as they didn't do the job properly in the first place!
All in all I cant stress what a bad experience I had with them, still you learn and at least I've got it back now. Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #308274 15th Feb 2014 11:36am
steve E

Wales 
Hi Tom
I wouldn't use my main dealer body shop again either.
the hassle costs more in time than the cost of getting it done by experts in the first place.
Post #308296 15th Feb 2014 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>