↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Volume Control Valve - Ford part no?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
TopQ1967

Netherlands 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Buckingham Blue
Hi

I use a Faultmate MSV-2 for reprogramming the pump.

If I have solved the problem, I will make a summary. The problem on most subjects in this (and at other ) forums is that useful information is split over several topics and within those topics is a lot information that has nothing to do with the topic.
Post #601512 13th Feb 2017 5:54pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Regarding the hex key size to use.

I replaced my VCV today as it's warmed up outside and I could feel my fingers. It's definitely a 5 mm Allan key that fits perfectly. Are you sure you are trying to remove the VCV? It's a right fiddle getting in there and I used a combination of tools. I ended up cutting off a 30 mm length of an Alan key and put that in 5 mm socket with a 1/4" drive then a 1/4" to 3/8" drive converter a 3" x 3/8" drive extension a universal drive joint a 6" extension and finally a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench. I had to reverse the 3" extension and universal joint position for the bolt nearest to the engine block. I used masking tape to keep the 5 mm key in the 5 mm x 1/4" socket to stop it falling out, worked a treat. I've got big size 12 hands and it was a right sod of a job but did it without removing a thing else in about 1 hour. Most of the 1 hour was working out what tool arrangement would work. Ill post some pictures of the tool arrangement. The good news is its fixed the eratic revs issue so well worth the sore hands. It seems like it's running well without having the relearning procedure but ill get this done next. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601603 13th Feb 2017 9:13pm
B4Lamb

TopQ1967 wrote:
Parhaps simple but a lot of work, for only a 2 screw sensor...

There is a bracket above the last bulkhead side bold that holds the inletmanifold. I cannot access the bolt ... grr..
Think I have to bleed the heater and remove the hoses to access the bottom of the inlet. Or is it secured with clips?
At the rear of the inlet manifold there is a tube secured with bolts too.

This is going to take some time... Anyone else faced the same problems? It looked so easy... swopping a sensor..

topq1967, you went from saying a 5 mm hex key not fitting to relearning the pump with a diagnostic tool, so what happened with the tools? By the way the VCV is a proportional flow valve it is not a sensor. "You are never to old to learn something new"

Last edited by B4Lamb on 13th Feb 2017 9:31pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #601618 13th Feb 2017 9:29pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I'll add to the literature...

My tool of choice (ahem, necessity) was this combo:

Click image to enlarge

The UJ moved up and downstream depending on which bolt I was working on and if I was lefty loosening or righty tightening.

The job of holding the unit in place while the gasket and bolts were inserted and so on was made easier by 'removing' one of the lines to the vacuum pump. I did this by mistake, had a 'oh sh it!' moment, but then nothing came pouring out, and it went back in nicely, so I pulled it out again. Wee bit more space for the left hand to get in there Thumbs Up

Anyone know the correct torque for the bolts? Rolling with laughter Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #601621 13th Feb 2017 9:31pm
B4Lamb

Great minds must think alike agentmulder. The picture show the two tool arrangements I used. Despite the lack od space to work I just kept calm and persevered. As you stated the UJ was essential in this tooling set up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601628 13th Feb 2017 9:46pm
helmutk

Austria 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
I just replaced my VCV (literally). Because of your Pics of the recommended assembly of tools it was not as much of a hassle as it might have been, so thanks for that! Thumbs Up

Someone here wrote that the VCV "is a pig to get to". If I was a pig , I would strongly protest this defamation! There must be a special place in hell for some engineers - my dad concurred (being one himself!). Mr. Green

Otherwise a straightforward operation, did the learning with the RRC, applied remap, runs like a charm again!
Post #601779 14th Feb 2017 1:32pm
B4Lamb

Well done Helmutk, I'm glad the info was of some use. I assume you didn't need to change the common rail pressure sensor? How many km did the old VCV last out if interest and we're the symptoms the classic set as described elsewhere on this forum?

Cheers, John. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601836 14th Feb 2017 6:22pm
helmutk

Austria 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
Hi John, no need to change the pressure sensor (relieve valve?) obviously, as all symptoms are gone.
In order of appearance I had: erratic idle, high fuel consumption, lack of power, motor stutters and stops sometimes when in idle.
When I did the remap almost exactly one year ago at 80k km, Steve Bell suspected the VCV when the pump learning procedure failed repeatedly. (However, I guess this might rather have been due to low coolant temperature. Just reaching 80°C is not enough) I bought the spare then, but never got around to do the swap. Embarassed Now at 95k km I HAD to dive in because the engine cut out at every traffic light!

Great forum, as a silent reader (mostly) I got huge info and advice while buying the Defender and afterwards! Thumbs Up
Post #601927 15th Feb 2017 6:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The pressure sensor seems to be quite robust and reliable, I haven't had to change one yet. The relief valve is also fairly reliab;e but can get "popped" if you have a faulty VCV. Again I haven't had to chage one yet.

There is certainly no reason to assume that if the VCV is faulty the others must of necessity be changed at the same time.
Post #601944 15th Feb 2017 9:17am
B4Lamb

That's exactly my sentiments Blackwolf. The pressure sensor is electronic with no moving parts so if it was going to fail it would be completely random and not related to mileage. As you pointed out previously, if you were selling them you would advise changing the sensor with the VCV haha Rolling with laughter "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601945 15th Feb 2017 9:26am
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
I see Diesel Parts Direct are selling them on offer for £54.17 - manufactured by Denso. That is if you use the Ford part number....is that number (6C1Q-9358-AB) correct for both Puma 2.4 and 2.2?
Post #601947 15th Feb 2017 9:32am
B4Lamb

helmutk wrote:
Hi John, no need to change the pressure sensor (relieve valve?) obviously, as all symptoms are gone.
In order of appearance I had: erratEratic Idle especially when cold

c idle, high fuel consumption, lack of power, motor stutters and stops sometimes when in idle.
When I did the remap almost exactly one year ago at 80k km, Steve Bell suspected the VCV when the pump learning procedure failed repeatedly. (However, I guess this might rather have been due to low coolant temperature. Just reaching 80°C is not enough) I bought the spare then, but never got around to do the swap. Embarassed Now at 95k km I HAD to dive in because the engine cut out at every traffic light!

Great forum, as a silent reader (mostly) I got huge info and advice while buying the Defender and afterwards! Thumbs Up

So yet again the exact same symtoms. My VCV started to play up a month ago and got steadily worse each day after that. The mileage now is just coming up to 80k miles so a bit more than yours but in the ball park.

Did you read my dit that I submitted last night on the operation of the valve and the suspected failure mechanism? Its on another thread under Puma called Erratic Idle or something like that.

Cheers, John "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601949 15th Feb 2017 9:40am
TopQ1967

Are we talking about the same valve?

Click image to enlarge

If this is the VCV..

And this is the place it belongs at the back of the pump on the Lefthandside of the engine before te inletmanifold

Click image to enlarge

The downpipe from the inlet manifold blocks to get at the rear of the hex bolts properly. I tried to get at them via the rear of the inlet with a longer bar. But that is not possible to.

Click image to enlarge

this is a slightly wider view.

Click image to enlarge

The hex socket is to long.

Last edited by TopQ1967 on 15th Feb 2017 10:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #601954 15th Feb 2017 10:34am
TopQ1967

Click image to enlarge

There is only about 30 mm behind the bolt.

Click image to enlarge

Tools available.

So you are working on another engine setup (2,4 perhaps) or I miss the point completely!
Post #601957 15th Feb 2017 10:38am
B4Lamb

Yes that is the VCV. My tooling arrangement worked for the 2.4 TDCI Puma Defender. The 2.2 may have more stuff in the way. I'm sure the two securing screws are the same M6 size that need an 5 mm hex key. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601963 15th Feb 2017 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>