↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > 5 days in northern spain....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
5 days in northern spain....
guys / gals,

we're looking to get a quick break in for circa 5 or 6 days (thats the royal we - swmbo and my two girls or 8 and 10).

the eldest fancies spain so she can practice her spanish and fancy the pyrenees / mountains and open land / small villages etc. the wife will be looking for tourist places / towns?

I want to use the ferry as the girls haven't been on a big ferry before, santander is probably too far / too expensive so I was thinking of Caen.

any suggestions / help would be much appreciated in trying to plan this.

many thanks in anticipation.
Post #286736 1st Dec 2013 12:58pm
gethewson

United Kingdom 
Hi Caterham
The Santander ferry is brilliant. Especially if the sun is shining.Eastern pyrenees speaks Catalan so the spanish speakers may get a little confused. The Pico's de Europa. Just down the road 100km South /west from Santander is incredible and has lots of fun roads to drive along and get up very high. Perfect for 5/6days.
The pyrenees is a very big range and takes a long time to get around. The places between Bagneres de luchon and benasque are incredible valle d'arans i think its called this is a 8 hour drive from the atlantic ports. This is very east though i'm sure there is loads to explore in the west.
Regards
James
Post #295062 2nd Jan 2014 10:37am
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have a look at LDL ferries new ferry to Santander , Ł399 return
Post #295256 2nd Jan 2014 9:52pm
BigM

Kenya 1985 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Bonatti Grey
Hello,

I second the posts above; do try the ferry and Peaks of Europe options. Both the mountains west of Santander and the Pyrenees range are marvellous. But in the Picos de Europa you will have more opportunities for a short break. Driving from Caen will be tiresome and expensive, with long hours of uninteresting highway drive. Taking the ferry to Santander will get you and your family rested and you'll immediately feel the holiday atmosphere. If the weather turns sour, the Gulf of Biscay can also offer an "Adventures on the High Seas" experience, albeit safely.

The Asturias will offer you as great a break as the Pyrenees, if not a more authentic one, along its plethora of less beaten tracks. Though these views are subjective, the Peaks area offers fine spots for a bit of trekking, in between its many remote charming villages and inns to stay; all within a limited area, about twenty miles off the coast.

Best,

BigM
Post #295306 2nd Jan 2014 11:49pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Does your 5-6 days include travel time down to Spain from Birmingham?

If it does I would question its viability as it will take at least 1.5 days each way by vehicle/ferry which ever route you take.

Yes the Santander route is the more expensive route but factor in extra mileage, and hotel costs which would be better option?

Try a pm to Morea as he is based in Asturias. Local knowledge is normally best knowledge. Depending on time of the year various tracks might be closed etc.

Brendan
Post #295330 3rd Jan 2014 1:08am
deep down

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Take a look at this site:

http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/espagne/espagne.htm

I know it's all in French but their road books are very good, easy to understand and you get all the GPS points as well.

I've done RB5 and planning RB 10 sometime this year.

It's sometimes easier to follow a preplanned route, it can take the stress out of it, you can research all the towns you pass through before you set off to try and please the rest of the team, shops, POI, etc.

What time of year are you heading down?
Post #295375 3rd Jan 2014 10:23am
Caterham

thank you very much for the information so far (some useful pointers in terms of research). looks like I might be able to sneak upto 7 days away so looking good.

Not overly bothered about the pyrenees but thought that might be the best option to find some snow (break is now likely to be end of Feb / Mar).

any further information / suggestions most welcome (including any overnight stops - ideally farm house b/b / small villages.......and cheap Very Happy )
Post #295544 3rd Jan 2014 9:31pm
Morea

Hi I'm from the north of Spain, Asturias Cantabria really

Northern Spain has nothing to do with the rest of us jjjejejeee Celtic nation, green mountain and all you want.

If you require more information I will be happy to explain anything you want. if you get run Asturias, I'll watch for a coffee or make a guide for the area.

http://www.asturiasenimagenes.com/indice_astu.html http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar
Post #295561 3rd Jan 2014 10:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Luismi

Spain 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Caterham you have plenty of options if you made up your mind already to "Pirineos"
you wont be disappointed at all.

Other option its as Morea and BigM recommend its " Picos de Europa" amazing in all the aspect, breath taking landscapes very nice people all around, you see Morea as a great example of that, and Food, well for the food I do not have words, its another thing.

either way will give you the chance of combining the driving and some trekking's at the technical level that you want.

Additionally you have the Spanish land rover club that they will be very please to help and provide more details if you need so.

That's the beauty of the international LR community.

Enjoy your trip.
Post #295575 3rd Jan 2014 10:52pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
Thinking of doing something similar in March. Ferry to Santander then slowly work done to Alicante area.

Will have to do some research
Post #295589 3rd Jan 2014 11:43pm
Morea

As recommends the companion Luismi, if you can just come by here http://www.clublandrovertt.org/

We are a big community land rover

And we are happy to receive you, esplicarte and help in any way you can

He or anyone visiting Spain. http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar
Post #295626 4th Jan 2014 10:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

Morea / Luismi

Thank you so much for the information and kind invite. I will keep you posted as our plan develops (with your help Very Happy )

Thumbs Up
Post #295632 4th Jan 2014 10:19am
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
do a search on this forum for 'picos' - there are some useful threads. Would also echo comments about ferry to Santander. A few years ago we took the ferry to Bilbao and it was a great start to the holiday.
Post #295695 4th Jan 2014 3:34pm
Ohlins

France 
I'm just back from a quick 2 day drive over into Spain.

I use www.wikiloc.com and download trails from there all the time. Use Open Street Map free maps if you've a GPS as the Garmin maps do not have the same detail and are so poor in comparison.

(E.G.There's great trail from Zaragoza right alongside the army base there,eventually passing a big radar station on the hill tops)

Enjoy your trip.

Very Happy Army 110 3 Door 200tdi
Army 110 3 Door V8
Army Lightweight 2.25 Petrol
110 300tdi 5 door
Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins
Post #301349 22nd Jan 2014 9:28pm
Caterham

thanks again for the responses.....just need to arrange some dates.

Thumbs Up
Post #302314 26th Jan 2014 3:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>