↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Scottish Indeendance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Scottish Indeendance
If scotland had independence they would last 12 months before going bankrupt. Simple maths but complex ignorance. Dont mind what they do....either actionenefits the UK. Win win.
Post #285520 26th Nov 2013 10:23pm
mark_d

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Post #285535 26th Nov 2013 10:48pm
Cuthbert

Ah but will it have any impact on Land Rover sales up there?

My latest research reveals that the Scots pay even more for a new Defender in Scotland than the English pay for a new Defender in England.
Post #285562 26th Nov 2013 11:51pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I say it is up to them..... it is their country.

There will be plus sides to it as well as negatives. They just have to decide what they believe is best for themselves. If done properly and everyone there plays the game I believe that Scotland would make a very very successful independent country........ But then again, they have to pull together and work their way through it which I doubt will happen (too many Neds).

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #285568 27th Nov 2013 12:12am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
If the 'no' campaign want to win it's simples!

Get every English person to tell them to vote 'Yes'

They'll vote 'No' just to spite the English Laughing
Post #285572 27th Nov 2013 12:26am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Apparently the % who want Scotland in dependant is greater in England than Scotland!

Saying that, I've nothing against Scotland and personally know a few scots so have no reason to want them out. But it would just be a hilarious, terrible move. Anyone with half a brain (not Alex sammond then) can see that

Lack of funding will mean no NHS, no benefits, no military, no education, no roads, the list goes on and on... Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #285581 27th Nov 2013 1:25am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Why would it be such a terrible move?

-NHS is just a complete drain of public money (needs to be re-vamped and bought up to date).
-No benefits- not realistic- reduced benefits- which in my eyes would be good thing.
-No military- Quite the opposite- 1/2 of the 'British Forces' are Scottish, so maybe they will be in more trouble. Also in the current climate and being a member of EC etc you don't really need a military force unless you plan on going abroad with it (British Army with its cuts is nearly a defence force already never mind if all the Scottish leave)- or would the MOD pay the Scottish soldiers?

As for no money, again it don't take much to know that they will make tens of billions in revenue from the North sea oil reserves, then there are the exports or things such as whiskey (again several billion a year), power and agriculture. Then there is tourism on top of that- being in the news around the world about them leaving the UK will get millions of tourists wanting to visit for the novelty too.

As I mentioned above- If they all pulled together they could be a very very successful (and rich) country. From what I have read/ seen, the reason why people oppose an independent Scotland is because of the cuts in benefits/ raise in taxes- people don't want to take a few cuts in the beginning to develop a strong country, plus people nowadays are very scared of change.... Which is why it won't work- doesn't have anything to do whether it is possible or not.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #285583 27th Nov 2013 1:58am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The Scottish NHS is already a separate entity from the rest of the UK operation and so is one of the more straightforward considerations. The real issues are far more complex than that anyway. Most of Scotlands' exports are to England but that situation isn't guaranteed if they were to be independant. Despite Mr Salmonds' assertions, there's also no guarentee that Scotland would remain in the EU under the same T&C's that are currently enjoyed, or that they would continue to be able to use the pound. It's not clear whether they would be able to remain in NATO given their stance on nuclear weapons. There are no clear positions on the amount of UK debt that they would take with them or how much of the remaining oil revenues would be theres'. There are lots of other similar unanswered questions and about the only thing that is certain is that nobody really knows how it might work. Take a look at the White Paper released yesterday and read up on some of the analysis by people who are experts in their fields before proclaiming to know how it will all work out. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #285596 27th Nov 2013 7:26am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
If the Scottish get a vote for independence from the UK, should the English also get to vote Scotland in or out ?
Post #285599 27th Nov 2013 8:08am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I'm English, but can fully understand why they would want independence. I mean, come on, they are effectively 'ruled' by another country - in the same way that we are ruled by the EU - and look how that feels to us. And I am fed up with their whinging, despite their favoured status (with regards to money spent per head). It's crazy that they can give things like free prescriptions and university when they are part of the same 'state' as a nation that doesn't offer the same. Britain has been the stronger for Scotland's inclusion, and their inventiveness and addition to our armed forces has been enormously beneficial - obviously, we wouldn't be the Britain that we are without them.

However, all that said, I cannot for the life of me understand why sales of Argentinian wine rocketed when Argentina played England at football, I cannot understand why they bang on about 'their' oil, and I cannot understand the pure hostility (wrongly labelled as racism) toward some English people who reside up there. I cannot understand the pathetic likes of people like Sean Connery, who goes on and on about his native country - while living in the Bahamas!!! If Scotland leave (and I would rather they did on balance) they are in for a massive shock, as Mr Salmond is fabricating all sorts of nonsense. Their welfare bill will soar in the coming years, and taxation will have to pay for it. I can actually imagine a Scotland in 20 years, asking to be part of the Union again.

Go Scotland. It's been great (you unfortunately cannot see that). Go with my blessing and wishes for a brighter future. But at least go with the truth, that you will suffer incredibly in the coming years.
Post #285602 27th Nov 2013 8:37am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
What will be the official language of a new independent Scotland?

Laughing
Post #285609 27th Nov 2013 9:01am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
It's just a small number of uneducated, over patriotic, power hungry people willing to shoot themselves in the foot to spite the English

Look at what the UK with Scotland have achieved over the last 300+years,

Scotland out of the UK would be one of the worlds smallest countries, with little service or manufacturing industry and no economic credibility.

What annoys me is that the party want an independent Scotland to still be a drain on the UK, inflating our pound, taking our North Sea oil and receiving support in a number of public sectors.

I know a number of scots, all of whom are amazed that it's even been brought up. They enjoy the increased economic stance which the UK has over Scotland on it's own and the support Scotland receives from Westmister is far greater than the taxes/trade they give back.

I'm worried that they're using 16-18 year olds with a more radical view to give them a better chance (although I see it as a 0 chance anyway) Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #285623 27th Nov 2013 9:43am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
They're already 'sabre rattling' stating that if they cannot retain the pound they will not contribute to the National Debt. Never mind a referendum boot 'em out. If they do go they'll have to reapply to join the EU according to Brussels beaurocrats.
I lived in Broughty Ferry for several years which was very close to Alex Salmond's constituency when he used to tout for votes by door by knocking with his henchmen banging the Scotland drum then back in 1991. Is it really what is best for the Scottish people or for himself he wants independance?
We'll find out soon enough! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #285628 27th Nov 2013 10:01am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
bpman wrote:
If the Scottish get a vote for independence from the UK, should the English also get to vote Scotland in or out ?

Agree Thumbs Up

If the English were asked to vote to let Scotland remain part of the UK or kick them out, I wonder what the results would be?

We could start a poll on here Neutral
Post #285629 27th Nov 2013 10:05am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
As a Yorkshireman living in Scotland, I agree with most of the above. The negativity towards England often borders on Racism, and there's a lot of (usually from the less well educated ones) chips-on-shoulders towards the English.

I had hoped yesterday to see something new and interesting from Salmond's "white paper", but no new news, just a pile of old stuff, with no real answers. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #285634 27th Nov 2013 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>