↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Passenger door pops open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DRW58

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Passenger door pops open
Has anyone got a sure fire cure for the passenger door popping open at will. Confused

I have to take my hat off to SWMBO in these cold dark mornings when she forsakes the warmth and comfort of her D3 to accompany me in what can only be described as a trip in the freezer to work.

Seven miles is hardly enough to get the heater fired up never mind defrost the windows and warm up the cab, but each morning she bravely clambers in just because she knows I like it. Whistle

That was until the passenger door began popping open then refusing to engage in any sort of closed condition. Apparently no amount of slamming makes any difference and SWMBO has been non too impressed as I swoop round icy right hand bends as her doors swings off into the dusky morning, leaving a chasm of flashing verge and tarmac below her left elbow. Shocked

So in order to restore harmony to the household, and short of welding the thing closed till spring arrives, what else can I do?
I did give the latch a squirt of releasing fluid at lunchtime today in the hope that if it was gunked up it might help, and the journey home tonight was chilly but uneventful.

DRW I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #285222 25th Nov 2013 9:59pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yep, can be a little disconcerting for the passenger when the door pops open, nearly lost my eldest boy one morning on the way to school but the little Censored was wearing his seatbelt(as he should do of course) When you spray the brake cleaner/contact cleaner etc just make sure you aim upwards towards the lock button at the top of the door from the rotating catch. It is just out of sight where the latching bit that sticks is located, work the door a few times and..............................................hope for the best Thumbs Up
Post #285234 25th Nov 2013 10:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Strap her down tighter. Whistle Rolling with laughter

If above fails disassemble the door card and have a look at what is going on, might be worth giving it a fiddle about and find out what the culprit is. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #285236 25th Nov 2013 10:13pm
DRW58

I'm liking the strap her down tighter and fiddle about a bit Rolling with laughter
How did you know?
Is it on my profile?
Are there pictures?
Do I need a lawyer?

Seriously I've contemplated the door card thing but can't work out how to remove the window winder handle?
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #285242 25th Nov 2013 10:18pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I nearly lost SHMBO a couple of years ago due to the same problem. I found that the button on the outside was jamming in due to ice, quick squirt with de-icer worked a treat in the short term till I had time to strip it out and put a Teflon based lubrication into the mechanism. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #285243 25th Nov 2013 10:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
DRW you should show her my post. Rolling with laughter Twisted Evil

On a serious note I'd imagine there is a fixing in the centre of the winder probably with a cover or cap over it. Might even be the whole thing. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #285248 25th Nov 2013 10:23pm
DRW58

Thanks Richard sounds much like the same thing as the cold weather seems to aggravate the situation.
I've been meaning to change the locks on both front doors more or less since I got it two years ago but like I said can't for the life of me see how to get the winders off.
As sure as anything it will be straight forward to do so perhaps I'll go for the strip down lubrication route.
Post #285249 25th Nov 2013 10:24pm
DRW58

Steve the handles are a similar design to the ones in my Mini except the Minis has a small centre cover behind which is the nut. The ones on the defender seem to be an all in one, to be honest I've not tried my usual tactic of a wide flat bladed screwdriver underneath to pop it off.
As for showing SWMBO your message.......eh I think not...it's frosty enough up here.
Post #285256 25th Nov 2013 10:30pm
JWL

There is a wire circlip type clip behind the facing disc, press in the door card and you should be able to see the loop of the clip, a pair of long nosed pliers or a screwdriver to flip it out. There is a method using a length of fabric, usually something cotton like your best wedding shirt, which can be looped behind the disc and with a gentle sawing motion can prise the clip off by pushing the ends of the clip out of the connecting slots thereby allowing the handle off. Bit of an aquired technique but definately non damaging and can be quite quick.

Last edited by JWL on 25th Nov 2013 11:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #285261 25th Nov 2013 10:39pm
DRW58

Thanks JWL I'll have a look when it's day light and a bit warmer.......I'm thinking sometime in May Very Happy I built a garage for my Mini
Post #285266 25th Nov 2013 10:51pm
JWL

Just keep squirting the cleaner in the lock and tell her to hold on tight! Thumbs Up
Post #285274 25th Nov 2013 11:00pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Just been out to look at my passenger door release button, its just -1 and it has started to stick, gave it a squirt round the edge of the button with Teflon spray and as if by magic it works fine.
Its not the lock but the button that sticks in for some reason. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #285287 25th Nov 2013 11:40pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
The catch needs a good clean and wd40, but as a temp fix could you just lock the door while driving?
Post #285288 25th Nov 2013 11:42pm
jimbob7

I use a piece of welding rod,or coat hanger to pull the circlip off the winder, Defender locks are very exposed to the weather leaving the lock mechanism susceptible to freezing (seizing) when the door is closed OR opened,it maybe that your door simply wasn't shut and locked properly,I clean out the lock with contact cleaner and use an aerosol silicon or lithium grease to lube the lock,use WD40 for cleaning out (if you must) but you still need to lube the lock afterwards. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #285290 25th Nov 2013 11:51pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Post #285399 26th Nov 2013 5:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>