↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Interior LED Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
lorenzo90

I got my LED interior lights in today, nice and bright!
but they seem to be permanently lit even when left in the middle switch (doors open) setting. They're very dim but I imagine its due to the low voltage they require - no ones had any issues of these drawing too much power have they?

I dont imagine it draining the battery any more than the clock does when locked and left overnight?
Post #380525 20th Dec 2014 9:04pm
munch90

England 
Doesn't sound right
where were the leds from ?
Post #380530 20th Dec 2014 9:27pm
lorenzo90

from Outbound 4x4, its nothing unusual as ive seen it in other cars before - but even with those other cars they cut out after locking the doors/setting their alarm.

Im assuming because it runs on the same fuse as the clock ticking away, that it could be live all the time?

Did some research and its called 'ghosting' or 'trickle discharge'. as LEDs take so little power to operate when they are left in a circuit, even if off, you can still have a small amount of power making them glow.

which is where Canbus LED's come in as they avoid this - or alternatively, you can use a resistor too
Post #380550 20th Dec 2014 10:02pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
I bought some from site sponsor advanced factors, the other day, the difference is unbelievable!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #380679 21st Dec 2014 2:04pm
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I've just used COB DRL and its brighter inside the Landy then a football stadium.

Click image to enlarge
Post #380681 21st Dec 2014 2:21pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
lorenzo90 wrote:
I got my LED interior lights in today, nice and bright!
but they seem to be permanently lit even when left in the middle switch (doors open) setting. They're very dim but I imagine its due to the low voltage they require - no ones had any issues of these drawing too much power have they?

I dont imagine it draining the battery any more than the clock does when locked and left overnight?

Hi - have the same issue with mine, did you sort? if so how?
Post #382985 29th Dec 2014 1:28pm
lorenzo90

Hi,

no, not a fix as such! I did some research and numerous people who have done it in their cars (regardless of brand/model) have the same happen to them.
Nothing to worry about according to them, its just a constant live current that runs through the lights - not enough to light up the standard filament bulb, but enough so for LED's.

There are 'fixes' which involve a resistor; but i havent gone down this route yet.
As the lights are on the same circuit as the Clock (which obviously runs continuously), the lights will also have that continuous current.

In theory, this shouldnt drain the battery, but im paranoid and just switch it off on my last journey/at night for now!
Post #383100 29th Dec 2014 6:45pm
lorenzo90

Hi,

no, not a fix as such! I did some research and numerous people who have done it in their cars (regardless of brand/model) have the same happen to them.
Nothing to worry about according to them, its just a constant live current that runs through the lights - not enough to light up the standard filament bulb, but enough so for LED's.

There are 'fixes' which involve a resistor; but i havent gone down this route yet.
As the lights are on the same circuit as the Clock (which obviously runs continuously), the lights will also have that continuous current.

In theory, this shouldnt drain the battery, but im paranoid and just switch it off on my last journey/at night for now!
Post #383101 29th Dec 2014 6:46pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
a "fix" with a resistor just bleeds the power that would light the LEDs away as heat. It doesn't actually fix anything and, depending on the resistor value, could negate any energy saving the LEDs gave in the first place.

Have you measured the "off" (quiescent) current with a meter?
Post #383121 29th Dec 2014 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12