↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Kenwood KDC-BT92SD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisD90

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Kenwood KDC-BT92SD
Anyone on here used one of these (or perhaps similar generation HU) with iPhone 5?

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/produ...DC-BT92SD/

I was wondering if the iPhone 5 connection works with a standard USB-Lightning cable? 2013 Defender 90 HT
Range Rover Evoque
Post #283858 20th Nov 2013 10:13pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I have one, but using it with iPhone 4, rather than 5. I have been having a couple of problems with it lately though - it keeps restarting itself for no apparent reason. I have also found that the Bluetooth connection is a bit hit and miss - sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't bother. I updated the Bluetooth firmware at the weekend though, and things have been 100% better since (touch wood). No restarting and now connects every time. SD card is great, no messing about plugging things in or CDs - music already in there. But has the functionality for CD, iPod, Bluetooth music should you need it. It has tons and tons of customisable stuff that I haven't looked at. Hands free works well, nice and clear on voice and audio. Only other thing to mention is operating the entire thing from a single rotary controller is a bit fiddly, especially in a bouncy Land Rover. For example to change radio station you preset a dedicated 'Preset' button and then use the knob to select the station. It does have good 'click' to its rotation though, so selects items in the menus fairly definitely.

Overall I'm happy with it and would recommend. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #283860 20th Nov 2013 10:22pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Oh - one more thing to add - if it's off and it's dark there are no lights on it at all, which I find a bit annoying. I would expect the power button to have a location light that stays on, but it doesn't. I thought it might be in the labyrinth of settings somewhere, but haven't managed to find it! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #283863 20th Nov 2013 10:25pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Green Machine wrote:
I have one, but using it with iPhone 4, rather than 5. I have been having a couple of problems with it lately though - it keeps restarting itself for no apparent reason. I have also found that the Bluetooth connection is a bit hit and miss - sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't bother. I updated the Bluetooth firmware at the weekend though, and things have been 100% better since (touch wood). No restarting and now connects every time. SD card is great, no messing about plugging things in or CDs - music already in there. But has the functionality for CD, iPod, Bluetooth music should you need it. It has tons and tons of customisable stuff that I haven't looked at. Hands free works well, nice and clear on voice and audio. Only other thing to mention is operating the entire thing from a single rotary controller is a bit fiddly, especially in a bouncy Land Rover. For example to change radio station you preset a dedicated 'Preset' button and then use the knob to select the station. It does have good 'click' to its rotation though, so selects items in the menus fairly definitely.

Overall I'm happy with it and would recommend.

i agree with all said above, used with a iphone 5, and a 5s since release... the 5s resets itself from time to time when playing music through the usb... unsure why but.. and my head unit also has a tendency to restart itself when using the buttons knob / buttons around, its also tricky every time it restarts remembering how to enable the aux cable, doesn't bother me too much only when a friend with a none iphone wants to play music.

bluetooth music streaming, only the front speakers work...

never updated the firmware as my macbook pro doesn't have a cd drive.

would recommend if you can get it for a good price, but i personally have been thinking of changing it for something else probably a fold out screen or double din if i can summon the monies
Post #283868 20th Nov 2013 10:34pm
ChrisD90

thanks for the info fellas.

Likeomg - With iPhone 5, what cable are you using? 2013 Defender 90 HT
Range Rover Evoque
Post #283870 20th Nov 2013 10:37pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
standard apple lightning cable into the usb on the headunit, the 5 never restarted itself with the cable even with the latest ios, just the 5s...
Post #283874 20th Nov 2013 10:41pm
ChrisD90

thanks guys Thumbs Up 2013 Defender 90 HT
Range Rover Evoque
Post #283884 20th Nov 2013 11:04pm
ChrisD90

So I bought one of these in the end as the price was very good for the feature set and so far very happy with it Thumbs Up
Sound quality is very good and everything works perfectly with iPhone 5 on iOS7.

App mode for iPhone is cool - Using Nav on iPhone and playing music (iTunes, Spotify, Internet radio) all works together seamlessly through speakers, dimming music for voice guidance etc.

The BT phone function, sound quality both ways is excellent (and I haven't even started sound treatment in the front of mine yet).

Likeomg - You mentioned BT Streaming only plays thru front speakers. This is true at default setting but there is a menu option within the BT settings. Oddly to choose either 'Front speakers' or 'All speakers' for playback Rolling Eyes

The only thing I don't like is how difficult it is to change volume whilst driving on bumpy roads - I normally end up changing track or radio station Laughing

Easy to fit, sounds good, lots of features, works fine with my particular phone/setup. I paid £130 for mine. Worth a punt for anyone looking for a decent deal on a single DIN unit I reckon Thumbs Up 2013 Defender 90 HT
Range Rover Evoque
Post #287955 5th Dec 2013 5:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1