↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Can you retro fit a centre seat into a later 110?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
danridge

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Can you retro fit a centre seat into a later 110?
Where the cubby is. Would have to be legal/compliant as would be for kiddy seat.

Thanks, Dan.
Post #283423 19th Nov 2013 9:32am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
How late is 'later'? Your profile suggests you have a TD5, in which case it's fine. The rules changed though essentailly with the introduction of the Puma (hence the forward facing rear seats) and I don't think a centre seat has ever been offered on that model. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #283430 19th Nov 2013 9:52am
danridge

Sorry, by newer I meant around 2004 ish rather then the new puma's.
Thanks for the post though - any advice on what's involved putting a centre seat in?

Thanks, Dan.
Post #283432 19th Nov 2013 10:05am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
A few bolts and a seatbelt kit
Post #283441 19th Nov 2013 10:51am
danridge

Thanks
Post #283472 19th Nov 2013 2:10pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
Its got to be worth a "wanted" ad on the forum. I had two in my shed for a while and gave them away. So many get taken out that finding one in right trim shouldn't be that difficult!

Most have lap belts tho so I wouldn't use a kiddie seat without converting to 3 point...not sure how easy that would be.

Last edited by kipperthedog on 19th Nov 2013 4:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #283480 19th Nov 2013 2:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It was the inpracticability of fitting a 3-point belt to the centre front seat which lead to them being outlawed.
Post #283482 19th Nov 2013 2:57pm
danridge

Ah so this is what meant by 'legal/compliant'. It sounds like it is technically possible but would it be 'legal;'/pass inspection etc to have a retro fitting center front seat? Has anyone done this?

Thanks, Dan.
Post #283945 21st Nov 2013 10:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you were to retrofit such a seat into a vehicle old enough to have had one from the factory (which *I think* inlcudes Td5s) and you were to do it in the same way as the factory option then there should be no problems of any kind.

If you were to retrofit such a seat into something like a Puma which is later than the ban on 2-point (lap) belts, then there would be a number of issues. It shouldn't pass the MOT, but this would depend on the tester being on the ball, and in the event of an incident, especially if there was a passenger in the seat and the passenger was injured, you could be in a bad place.

If you could fit the seat so that a suitable 3-point belt was fitted, then the seat is not per se illegal however it won't have been type approved. I am not sure if this matters as far as legality (if it does, then an IVA test should take care of it) but in the event of an incident once again the consequences could be unfortunate.
Post #283949 21st Nov 2013 11:10am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
The problem with only a lap belt, is that in the event of a sudden stop the passenger would "nut" the gear stick at the very least. Its not a great place to sit to be honest...;-(

I do have a middle seat I removed from my TD5 if you're interested, its virtually brand new as I took it out very quickly after I got the Defender.

cheers

simon
Post #283950 21st Nov 2013 11:12am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Hi Dan

You can legally fit the front seat to your age of Defender, but you won't be able to, or from a safety point of view want to put a child seat into it. It's not wide or long enough and the child seat will likely foul gear stick etc.

The best option is to fit centre seat with lap belt with LR parts and brackets and then place child seat in passenger seat with 3 point harness. Not easy for other adult getting in to centre seat, or comfortable when there, but this is best option if you have no ability to put seats in the rear.

Cheers

Steve
Post #283951 21st Nov 2013 11:13am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I had a centre seat in my first 90 and used it to place a child seat. What I did was safe in my mind but maybe not 100% according the laws.
I removed the cushion from the backrest off the center seat this give you a couple more inches.
I used the lapbelt and a cargo lashing to fit the front fashing child seat securely inplace.

My son loved sitting there snugly between mom and dad and having a good view outside.

Changing gear, specially into 4th, lots of time involved moving his feet. Very Happy Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #284297 22nd Nov 2013 3:50pm
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
It's been alluded to above but it's worth re-iterating as some people struggle with the concept*:

Just because it passes an MOT does not mean it is legal.

Also, a current MOT is no guarantee of roadworthiness.

*As was demonstrated when the MOT for classic vehicles was phased out, umpteen questions on this forum and others started with "is it now my responsibility to ensure it's safe?" followed by exasperated responses of "It always was, you steaming ignoramus"

And breathe...

Anyway, as for a centre seat: Don't do it. If you put your first born there, you're liable to accidentally elbow him in the face. If he has a rear-facing seat, you won’t be able to change gear properly. If you put your other half there, you’re liable to elbow her in the bosom. It’s an uncomfortable place to be, and lap-belts just don’t cut it anymore. Invest in a proper fold down seat from Exmoor/Trakkers etc and fit that along with a three point belt. Not cheap I know, but 90s in standard form just aren’t that family friendly.

If you’re not convinced, somewhere in the dark recesses of my garage (in Bristol) is a centre seat, which you’re welcome to have. Try it for a couple of weeks and you’ll probably agree with me!

Matt Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #284348 22nd Nov 2013 6:29pm
NorTD5

Norway 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I did the same in a 109 I owned. Took out a cubby box and replaced it with a central seat, with a three point seatbelt. I did not do the seatbelt work myself - too scared - and the three poiint belt only worked because of the bar behind the seats in a 109. To be honest, it never really worked. The car seat was just too bulky for the space available and made it very difficult to change gear. My older son, then 7-8, used to ride in the centre seat from time to time, but even his bulk was a pain. I am tall but pretty skinny and found that the seat is not great for anything other than short trips to the shops. I now have a TD5, which still has a (suspiciously clean looking) centre seat, and would say that it has less space in the centre seat than the old 109 - and replacing it with a nice useful cubby box is on my job list...
As others have said, the actual job of changing one for the other is simple, if you have the bits. And if you just happen to be passing through Southern Norway, I have a central seat that I will happily swap for a cubby!
Post #284396 22nd Nov 2013 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1