Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender - This is it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Olli wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Very interesting. I can't say I agree about the offset numberplate being a keeper (a full width rear door is about 50 years overdue) but round headlights are an absolute keeper...

Will keep an eye on the blog. Thumbs Up

Hi 22900013A,
The idea to keep the offset number plate actually went hand in hand with the wish to have a sideways opening door as we have now ( I wanted to add that as keeper too but mucked up when uploading images) as opposed to a split tailgate as with the Range Rovers. I think a lot of us actually still get into the rear cargo area, be it on overlanding trips to sleep in the back or simply sitting in the sideways facing seats (yes, the latter will most likely not make it to the new Defender). Point being that if one still wants to take one's whole self into the cargo area, than a sideways opening door is a lot handier than a split tailgate. Having said that, my premise that an offset number plate is necessary if a sideways opening door is chosen for is incorrect, I now realize. I also realize that Disco 1 and 2 had a wider rear door with the number plate on the door while the off set plate was not due to the door hinged on the right but due to the spare wheel. Disco 3 continued the off set plate purely for looks and that might eventually be the deciding factor in the case of the new Defender as well.
I also Like David Whittaker’s idea very much. Split tail gate AND full sideways opening. Food for thought. Thanks!

A side opening full-width door would seem to be the most sensible option, and that is what the DC100 had. A split tailgate is not such a great idea unless it is engineered very well, the old type on series vehicle was cack to be honest, I have it on the back of my 109" and it is a total pain in the backside, I only keep it as that is the original spec of the vehicle.
The back end of the disco 1 & 2 is about how a new Defender back end should be, but perhaps with the spare wheel mounted more centrally. An internal spare wheel mounting also ought to be an option on hard tops as a security measure, again, like in the old days where that was actually the standard location - bonnet and rear door were optional on utilities, but obviously station wagons could not have the internal mount. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #282825 16th Nov 2013 10:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
How is the split tail gate on a range rover not good?

Airbags you can turn on and off??????????????

If your that bothered buy a new one now or maybe two or three keep them. There's still two years of current defender so plenty of time to save.

My defender's are great and will probably keep one or two. But can't wait for the new one. Instead of getting bogged down with the looks. Take some time and read the features they are thinking about including. Hard wearing materials not crap carpets that go smelly and wet.

Don't like what they bring out don't buy it. I've got mates with jap tat that are waiting to see what comes out. Land Rover need to bring in the jap tat buyers. They sell more hilux in a week than defender sell in a year.
Post #282831 16th Nov 2013 11:34pm
Brucemknx

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
Re: New Defender - This is it
Olli wrote:
I know that there are numerous threads on the new Defender. This site alone has two pages worth of discussion topics. However, check out the blog at http://defender15.blogspot.nl/ which is intended to bring all thoughts together in one place and ultimately come up with what we - (prospective) users of Defender - think the new Defender should look like. The idea is to come up with a concrete design proposal, one that will definiely do away with the sour aftertaste of DC 100. I have just set some ground rules for myself and will start sketching soon. I would appreciate all constructive criticism and thoughts. Feel free to send in your sketches too if you wish to share. You can comment on the blogsite or on this thread. Let's show JLR what we want.

Best,
Olli

Hi Olli,

There are certainly a lot of threads on the net as you say. I like this one. It has a comprehensive list of wants which I agree with...
http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/land-rover-...lable-2015
And unlike many, I don't think the DC100 was all bad. Proper rims and tyres and a suspension lift would do a lot to please the faithful.

Cheers, Bruce.
Post #282969 17th Nov 2013 6:19pm
Olli

Netherlands 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Hi Bruce,

I did come across that article and I actually think it is one of the better ones out there. Quite insightful from an overlander's perspective. However at the same time I found that to be its limiting factor. It focuses on how the Defender shold be equipped for overlanding and less on what it needs to be for all round everyday use. Nevertheless, still a well-written and thought thru article.
Post #282990 17th Nov 2013 7:07pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
As we have yet to receive our first Defender, I'm not really qualified to speak.
However, I would have to say that a 2.2L engine with just 90kw, (yes, I know 360nm isn't bad), is simply not enough in today's market when compared with the opposition.
I feel that a 3/3.5L V6 Diesel with around 200KW & 550/600Nm wouldn't be hard to source, infact JLR probably has something like this already. Maybe a bit more soundproofing, & yes, with the sort of power I'm talking, an auto option would be good.
I'm totally relaxed with the external appearance,...in fact, I love it.
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #283053 17th Nov 2013 9:08pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
davidwhittaker wrote:

Can't beleive what I'm reading! The massif is just a defender copy built out of cheap, horrible materials! They'll rust away within a few years! At leat the defender has an ally body which helps a lot!

Less and less alli because it's too expensive, and new buyers want cheap. Door skins are steel, rear door is steel, I expect several other things are steel as well now days... 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #283101 17th Nov 2013 11:40pm
Orangeboy

Are the steel door skins a cost saving or an attempt to stop the corrosion that nearly all of us have on the doors
Post #283127 18th Nov 2013 7:50am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The new steel rear door was certainly billed as solving an age old structural problem. Not sure about the reasoning behind the side doors but the reality is that being steel does helpfully avoid the issue of bi-metallic corrosion. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #283134 18th Nov 2013 8:19am
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
The thing is, what it won’t be is beam axles and ladder chassis with lightweight bolt on panels and a roof that crushes if you roll the vehicle.
So irrespective of the exterior looks, it will not be a Defender in concept. Has JLR talked to the MoD at any stage in the design to see if it could meet lightweight military needs? I doubt it!
So, it will not be in the slightest suitable for agricultural or modifiable for semi- military situations.
It will be of course suitable for UK green lanes – but not more.

In other words, it will be a road car, that meets EU and US incredibly stringent regulations… it may even be designed with an electric option in mind in the future.
I would dearly love to see JLR make a car that could also be a useful vehicle in the next Falklands .. but . I cannot see it.

(I was 20+ years in Oz. My 300tdi hicap we slid a SS 70l water tank onto the chassis, added a second pair of rear shocks, a 60l fuel tank under the drivers seat, a roll cage.. etc Sadly, the new defender will not be so easily prepared for a trip) Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #283199 18th Nov 2013 2:11pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
don't be so cynical.

i think that Land Rover & the world know what it needs to be.

the toyota land cruiser/nissan patrol/hilux etc aren't exactly so simple either but do well. I think it will be the best 4x4 LR have ever made, certainly they know it has to be at least as good as previous in every way and I'm sure it will be.

sure it won't quite be 'bolt together' like the current probably, but you don't see that being a problem fitting snorkels/tanks/protection/lighting etc to other vehicles!

I'm fairly excited really, just DONT WANT it to be too electrical or too modern looking, anything which would make it 'show its age' in the future, like the current one doesn't! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #283222 18th Nov 2013 4:43pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Pickles wrote:
As we have yet to receive our first Defender, I'm not really qualified to speak.
However, I would have to say that a 2.2L engine with just 90kw, (yes, I know 360nm isn't bad), is simply not enough in today's market when compared with the opposition.

A 36 megapixel camera doesn't mean it necessarily outperforms a 24 megapixel camera but people only judge by a couple of numbers in the specifications.
Post #283225 18th Nov 2013 4:54pm
Olli

Netherlands 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
People, I have just posted some rough sketches: http://defender15.blogspot.nl/

Fire away!

Olli
Post #284452 22nd Nov 2013 10:48pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #284467 23rd Nov 2013 4:55am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
The drawings are without doubt very interesting, and have some appealing ideas. I am not sure which I would prefer, but I like the idea of the fully exposed spare wheel. This is as much for aesthetics as due to the act I don't fancy having to lift one out of a pouch in the event of a puncture, the existing setup is difficult enough when it comes straight off... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #284490 23rd Nov 2013 9:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I can see potential with a "pouch" spare wheel carrier. When in normal use opens with the door then ehen spare is needed, opens independantly exposing the inside of the spare which is attached to the "carrier" by a lifting mechanism/winch etc that would lower the spare to the floor and be capable of lifting one back into place. In this day of H&S a viable option methinks.
Post #284507 23rd Nov 2013 10:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>