↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Silver 90 pick up stolen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
Silver 90 pick up stolen
Stolen from mitcheldever station car park near Winchester today. A silver 200 TDi defender M834 EFH just been fully restored new rear crossmember & paintwork. Shire safe t pedal lock fitted Big Cry
Post #281676 12th Nov 2013 8:50pm
yobbie

Just to add, this was the first time this 90 was ever left at this station

Click image to enlarge
Post #281686 12th Nov 2013 8:56pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Sad news. Did it definitely have a pedal lock fitted? As far as I know, Shire have never had a report of one being stolen with one of their pedal locks fitted, so would be worth letting them know how it was defeated. (Assuming they left the mangled lock at the scene). Sounds as though someone may have been keeping their eye on it for a bit? Or just very unlucky coincidence the first time it was left. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #281698 12th Nov 2013 9:09pm
yobbie

The defender is not mine but a friends, he's not had it long and I lent him my pedal lock. He's said he fitted it and he is the type of guy that would fit it every time like he does locking his motorcycle. He's had a look in the space where he left it but there is no debris! It was parked up at 6.30 this morning don't know what time he returned but he called me at just after 19.00 to say it had been stolen. Like it said before this is the first ever time it's been parked here.
Post #281703 12th Nov 2013 9:17pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It's quite an isolated spot. Been there a few times myself for tyres. Has he checked to see if there was any CCTV coverage? Would imagine there would be perhaps?

Good looking tidy truck. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #281709 12th Nov 2013 9:23pm
Alex1976

England 
I am always aware of parking at station car parks, especially those that are used by london commuters where any thieves know the cars will be there all day with very little coming and going. I always worry when I park at the station and last week I drove into London as I was staying overnight and didn't want to leave the Defender overnight at the station.

I use a Shire pedal lock and I think it is a cracking piece of kit and very surprised/worried to hear it has been defeated.

Could it have been lifted onto a flat bed?
Post #281719 12th Nov 2013 9:51pm
yobbie

Just spoken to my mate and an anpr camera on the M4 at wooton Bassett picked it up at 14.40 this afternoon. The police seem to think its on its way to Wales.
Post #281721 12th Nov 2013 9:53pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Have posted on to LandyWatch to try to help spread the word a bit more. Really hope they get it back. A good shout regarding CCTV at the station. Certainly worth checking.

This sounds like a pretty harsh question to ask the guy when he's just lost his truck but, given he borrowed the lock, I assume he fitted it correctly?..... Sorry... ducking for cover Embarassed I don't have one so don't know if it's obvious when it's fully fitted and locked.

One of the members on LW (may also be on here from memory too) was speaking to Shire on another topic recently so I've asked them if they could mention this thread and the landywatch thread too. I don't recall previously seeing a reported theft on LW before where a Safe-T-pedal was beaten. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #281755 12th Nov 2013 11:11pm
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
Posted on behalf of Carl at shirefabrications
Posted on behalf of Carl at shirefabrications:

Hi guys

1st of all we're sorry to hear about the loss of such a spectacular vehicle such a shame the thieving toe rags didn't do them self a injury at the scene & was found by the vehicles owner..

If the safe t pedal that was fitted was off a td5 with air con then this product is 40 mm shorter on the top edge leaving access to the top of the pedals due to the a/c model having the lower a/c unit attached but even so this would still take within the region of 15mins to remove with cordless power tools which in turn creates a lot of noise which I'm sure the thief or thief's would not want unless extremely isolated from the publics view, does anyone have any pics of the product that most certainly would of been discarded ?

I'm betting that the defender was almost certainly towed away using a recovery truck, unfortunately the safe t pedal would not prevent this sort of attack however we are in the realms of designing a hand brake lock which would of most certainly of helped in this situation. Is there any CCTV at the scene as I'm sure this would be very helpful in determine how the vehicle was stolen, there as recently been a spate of organised thief's lifting sort after vehicles from secluded areas posing as local council removing illegally parked vehicles or even vehicles not displaying tax which unfortunately to the general public this looks totally acceptable as most folks see this within a working / commuting week, could we get the CCTV footage & put a link on all relevant sites? Just to create awareness of how these gangs are working.

Guys, please try not to leave any sort after vehicle in secluded locations, this just makes it a little easier for the potential thief or gangs to obtain your vehicle, if you have no choice in leaving the vehicle then please leave it in the direction of a CCTV or in general public view. Unfortunately we live in a world where the low life's are out growing us so please take what ever measures necessary to protect what's yours if this is in the form of mechanical security devices / trackers / alarms / immobilizers & the most vital one of all being common sense !

We hope someone gets to the bottom of this & hopefully the vehicle will be returned.!

Please feel free to email us any video footage or pics or general enquirys

Regards
Carl @ shirefabrications
www.shirefabrications.com
Best Regards
Carl conroy
Shirefabrications
99 field drive
Shirebrook
Notts
Ng20 8bt

Tel: 01623 740877
Mob: 07830 600060

Please feel free to check out our below fitment video's of the safe t pedal.

Land Rover:
VW:
Post #281822 13th Nov 2013 11:16am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Quite a few of the points above have also been speculated about on this thread too. Especially about the time taken, noise, risk of getting caught and cordless grinder. Be interesting to know if indeed the lock was fitted. Maybe/hopefully we'll find out if it's recovered.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic24527.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #281823 13th Nov 2013 11:25am
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
It's also been cross posted to LandyWatch forum:

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2//index.php?topic=1114.0
Post #281824 13th Nov 2013 11:27am
yobbie

I can confirm the lock was definitely fitted although as mentioned it was a TD5 air con model. At this point the lock has not been found and if the 90 was lifted onto a truck initially then moved somewhere to remove the lock is unsure but it was definitely being driven along the M4 in the afternoon!
Post #281848 13th Nov 2013 2:13pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Should legalise armed guards in this country... some lead poisoning would certainly help keep the scum levels down.
Post #281872 13th Nov 2013 4:42pm
yobbie

Thought I'd best make clear that the 90 was parked with doors & truck top (that had a black roof) not as it is in the picture that was taken just before the restoration was finished.
Post #281930 13th Nov 2013 8:28pm
Shirefabrications

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Hi guys

Just wondering if there was any more info on the CCTV from the station car park ?
It seams very strange how the safe t pedal was not discarded if it was removed, it's now clear that the wrong model of safe t pedal was fitted to the vehicle but even so this would not of been removed quickly & the amount of stump that would of been visible to cut with a hacksaw would certainly not be safe to drive I'd estimate that their would of been no more than 50mm to drive on.

Regards
Carl

Post #282065 14th Nov 2013 7:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>