↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > White Roofs - Opinions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Have you noticed that the 90 on the forum banner (which appears to have side windows - to my bad eyes anyway) also has a white roof? Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #278375 31st Oct 2013 8:17pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
So far as I know Limestone was only used on very very early 110s, never on 90s.

Personally I think a white roof looks great, especially with white rims, and black grille and mudguards, however I do agree it is better when matched to a solid colour. It doesn't work as an image with metallic paint. If I was having a vehicle in, say firenze red (which I think is a super colour) I would go for XS spec with the whole thing in red. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #278377 31st Oct 2013 8:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
A proper land rover should have a white roof and be solid blue, green or red, with white wheels of course, timeless Thumbs Up
Post #278390 31st Oct 2013 9:16pm
Cuthbert

farmer giles wrote:

Click image to enlarge

my base model tamar blue with white roof.

personally i like the retro look but i think the main colour has to be solid, not metallic, for it to work.
i also think the black spats and grille work best with this option.

Personally I rather like your vehicle - functional, practical, classic Defender appearance - not some drug dealer's pimpmobile for the urban jungle.

Oh and I rather like the classic Mk1 railway carriages displaying their traditional colours in the background - to complement your Defender.

Last edited by Cuthbert on 31st Oct 2013 11:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #278434 31st Oct 2013 10:56pm
Cuthbert

GUM97 wrote:
On certain colours it looks alright... But whenever I see one with a white roof, I think "farmer spec" Confused

Is "farmer spec" a bad thing? Is that nod to it's utilitarian past not part of the appeal of a Defender?
Post #278437 31st Oct 2013 10:59pm
Cuthbert

White, Limestone, Ivory White for roofs ........ now we are getting into the finer details of Land Rover's colour palette over the years. Should have known that white is never just white.
Post #278441 31st Oct 2013 11:02pm
Cuthbert

bpman wrote:
Keswick green and limestone roof is a great combo, with limestone wolfs Thumbs Up

Yip, have to agree that spec sounds rather appealing! Although the majority of recent model Defenders I see on the road are Grey and they all kind of look the same. I just wonder if Keswick Green is too 'cheap and entry level looking' when it comes to selling the vehicle on?
Post #278447 31st Oct 2013 11:09pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
238kirk wrote:
A proper land rover should have a white roof and be solid blue, green or red, with white wheels of course, timeless Thumbs Up

Red? Red was only for fire engines until the very end of the 70s when we got red Stage 1 V8s. Really they should only ever be green. Laughing 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #278663 1st Nov 2013 7:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I absolutely adore the defender with a traditional (farmer!) look. Isn't that the defender we've all admired for donkeys years? It looks particularly good in Keswick Green with the HD Wheels to match.
This is the colour combo I really wanted to order but I was put off by people saying a high spec defender in Matt paint and white roof could be hard to sell on if I ever decided to. So I went for Havana instead with no contrasting roof. The vehicle is too expensive for me to take the gamble.
Post #278685 1st Nov 2013 9:37pm
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
New to this I wanted what turns out to be farmer spec with some internal upgrades. The only way to get that seemed to be to buy new! We went second hand, and everything seemed to be grey, black or silver. Now we've had it for a while I'm a bit more aware of what's available, but at the time there seemed to be little choice.

I still like white roof and modulars -- but now we've got the 'fender I think the colour scheme concerns aren't anything compared to the sheer fun of having one at all. 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #278843 2nd Nov 2013 5:41pm
deplec

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Re: White Roofs - Opinions
Cuthbert wrote:
Or maybe it's just down to personal taste

You hit the nail on the head with the original post. Smile

You paid for it, have the roof any colour you like. White, Black, Polka Dot, covered in astro turf....

Personally I love a bit of retro like this one:

http://www.northamericaoverland.com/images...-brown.jpg

But I can only afford / have space for 1 Defender so I bought a more 'modern' black and silver one, just because I liked it.

Whenever I see another Defender I don't think farmer or banker, I think "cool a defender! I want one!" - and then I remember I have one and feel chuffed! Very Happy
Post #278855 2nd Nov 2013 6:27pm
Cuthbert

Smilesapart wrote:
I absolutely adore the defender with a traditional (farmer!) look. Isn't that the defender we've all admired for donkeys years? It looks particularly good in Keswick Green with the HD Wheels to match.
This is the colour combo I really wanted to order but I was put off by people saying a high spec defender in Matt paint and white roof could be hard to sell on if I ever decided to. So I went for Havana instead with no contrasting roof. The vehicle is too expensive for me to take the gamble.

I'm kind of interested in the psychology angle here. Are you saying that you bought a Defender in a spec that wasn't really what you wanted, then you wake up every day for years looking at a vehicle that isn't your first choice of colour and then you console yourself with the thought that one day you may offload it at slightly better price than your original first choice.

Mmmm I'm really struggling to get my head around that one - especially if you were spending around £30k of hard earned cash? I'm sitting here still trying to design my ideal spec for a new Defender, so much choice and I the requirements of a potential second hand purchaser in 3 - 5 years time ain't on my radar - too many other extras to resolve.
Post #278870 2nd Nov 2013 7:00pm
AlpsLandy

France 
I've always wanted practically every Defender that i have ever seen. I think they all look cool and the great thing is you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

I followed Smilesapart's logic entirely - and came to the opposite conclusion Laughing (although importantly its not a top spec model...)

I've got a couple of 'nice' cars where I'm a bit precious about the doors in car parks etc and I wanted my Defender to be something I could use up mountains and down lanes without worrying too much about the odd scratch here and there - but its each to his own Smile

Click image to enlarge

I'm hoping to keep it forever, maybe I will and maybe I wont but its the one I wanted most Cool - I guess it's the same for all of us whichever colour combo / spec we go for Thumbs Up 2011 Defender 90 SW
2006 Discovery 3 HSE

Last edited by AlpsLandy on 3rd Nov 2013 8:04am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #279003 3rd Nov 2013 7:49am
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
^perfection, that's what I like Thumbs Up ^
Post #279004 3rd Nov 2013 8:03am
dudley472

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Nothing wrong with farmer spec !! green with a white roof does it for me

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by dudley472 on 3rd Nov 2013 1:54pm. Edited 2 times in total