↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > how does the turbo work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
i am married ... but she's VERY understanding.

I understand the various parameters you mentions could and probably are different but would they impact on performance / noise notably when the parameters are very nearly the same ie 1 hill a few minutes down the road from the previous one or the same hilll but a diffeerennt day?

I hopefully be proven wrong........no actually I hope to be prove myself right actually...?? ... ?? Very Happy Confused

I just can't see it - can the defender really be that different.....it is basically a transit van / modeo engine and I've never known anyone to complain about them performing differently from day to day - something just doesn't seem to 'stack up'?
Post #279897 5th Nov 2013 11:13pm
Caterham

actaully ...... I need a sanity check here.

noise from engine, sounds like bag of nails while towing caravan up hill - no all is fine sir - turns out heat shield and support braket has bolts missing - diagnose and fix myself

noise / clatter underload - no all is fine sir - input shaft fails

oil leak - no problem sir we'll replace oil seal

oil leak - no problem sire we'll replace oil seal

oil leak - you must be having a laugh (or puting oil on transmission as the oil levels are all ok)........new gearbox fitted

last defender

noisey engine can't be right - no all fine sir we've even taken it for 100mile test drive..........new injectors and pump fitted by new owner !

either I'm a complete muppet, unlucky or dreaming (possibly dreaming most of the time now as this is all starting to make me hit the bottle).
Post #279899 5th Nov 2013 11:20pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Since the last cambelt died and ate another set of push rods I haven't been able to trust mine, it makes noises it never used to and is more rattley than I remember. However it still works and goes as well or better than ever so until the motor explodes in a shower of big end shells and con rods I will live with it. Worrying is counter productive. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #279937 6th Nov 2013 6:44am
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Caterham wrote:
thank you for the replies.

interesting I'd have thought the turbo would have been spining long before max torq?

I believe the turbo is variable vane, does the actuator operate this or does it operate the waste gate (I presume there's a waste gate (of sorts)?) and are the variable vanes 2 position or are 'infinately' variable between min and max?

interesting stuff huh?

Yep, the turbo is effective at idle speed, if you have enough volume and temperature of exhaust gas to provide energy at the turbine wheel. At full-load, just off idle speed, the turbo vanes are almost, but not quite closed to the the minimum flow stop on the turbo (this important screw stops the tips of the variable vanes touching the backs of their neighbours, which is set by the turbo manufacturer to prevent damage to the vane mechanism), until sufficient boost is generated to allow the control loop to demand a lower vane angle. There are multiple control loops affecting the turbo, so it isn't as simple as saying the vanes will be at angle X with engine speed Y and engine load (accel pedal) Z. If anyone want to be really bored, I'll post a lecture course on VNT turbo calibration that I ran at a university in the South East a few years ago. Laughing Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #280232 7th Nov 2013 12:52am
Caterham

tatra805,

you've mentioned you had limp mode when your turbo wasn't working correctly. can you tell me if this also brought the MIL on or not?

as I've suspected for sometime, not just on this topic but elsewhere there's been an intermittent fault. will intermittent has now become permanent and I'm told it's the turbo.

I suspect this like ownership for the last 3 years is anything to go by getting it resolved by LR is going to be a very big up hill struggle.

Big Cry
Post #307290 11th Feb 2014 10:20pm
Skye_Rover

Caterham, if the fault is recognised long enough to trigger a limp-home reaction, then you should have a MIL illuminated on your dash. The threshold to determine whether the turbo is reacting, or not, is dependant on engine speed and the like, and there is a further time-dependant component that will have to be fulfilled before a MIL (and limp-home) is flagged. There are separate fault checks for the vane control and closed-loop manifold pressure control, and each of these is tuned at the calibration development stage of the programme to be sufficiently "loose" to allow the Defender to work in all environments without falsely flagging a problem.

However, this isn't to say that you have had perfect turbo response all the time; because the fault reactions are tuned to wait a while (for high altitude operation, where turbo response is more sluggish than at sea-level), you could be experiencing a bit of low boost through a partially-sticking vane control - not enough to flag a fault, but enough that you could feel the engine performance being a bit lacking.

If you log the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) over the OBD2 diagnostic socket with an OBD2 compatible tool or better, then it is possible to compare your vehicle to a "known good" Defender operated in the same sort of way. The trouble with vane sticking is that it can vary a bit from measure to measure, and you need to compare apples with apples - same acceleration in the same gear from the same engine speed. There are standard tests that I can dig-out if you need a "known good". Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #307317 11th Feb 2014 11:18pm
martinfiattech

England 
I missed all this, how have they now found the turbo faulty has it just been under boosting, surely a road test with a computer showing boost pressure required and actual, mass air flow req and actual, turbo vane actuator position as previous along with egr . its not hard its the first thing I do at work and if I get a fussy customer these are mostly motorhome owners who a lot of the time don`t go over 2500 rpm.
I had one guy who had never gone past 2500 rpm and was moaning about lack of power on a 3.0 180hp fiat 1 dpf regen later a good high speed run it was a different van, the amount of soot that came out of the dpf was amazing I`am still surprised the ecu let me regen it 270 % soot loading .
Post #307318 11th Feb 2014 11:21pm
Skye_Rover

"the amount of soot that came out of the dpf was amazing I`am still surprised the ecu let me regen it 270 % soot loading ."

So am I !!! But you knew what you were doing, and that was fine - normally Fiat are pretty sussed about their strategies, thermal protection included.

A fair point though. First thing I would do, if I measured a slow response on the vanes at their limits, would be to run a decent cleaner through the intake system to purge whatever I could from the vane mechanism. This is less of an issue with Defender than with Disco3, where turbo access is just awful, as you can get to the unit to clean it manually with a solvent. This has saved two D3's from going on transporters to have the bodies lifted, 8hours labour at a time, in the main dealers, as I don't have the 2-post ramps to do this job (yet), only 4-posters. In both cases, normal turbo operation was restored for over 12months (to-date). It is not a cheap option at £50 a shot, but that compares with a bill of £900 just to get the turbo off a D3. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #307327 11th Feb 2014 11:45pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
On a side point, disco 3 turbos can be removed without body lift by cutting the studs then replacing with bolts.

Andy
Post #307331 11th Feb 2014 11:53pm
Skye_Rover

True....but they're still a bit tight, even after all the heatshields have been bent/ripped/removed and deposited in the metal bin Wink I always worry about leaving the remains of the fixings behind in the manifold; I saw a few early engines left with scrap manifolds after the turbos had "seen a bit of action" before packing-up, all because fitters couldn't get the last bits out in-situ. And you don't want to have to change a manifold...

Still, no worries like that on Puma in Defender. A good dose of Mr Muscle, AKA "the VAG Diesel cure" soon has things moving again Rolling Eyes Or you can go the "kind" route and use something along the lines of one of those intake system sprays, which I have found to work in each case. Much less to go wrong. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #307338 12th Feb 2014 12:28am
Caterham

Sorry I've not responded sooner but busy doesn't start to describe how things have been...was ill yesterday as a result.

Any how after being told turbo was at fault and discussing with LR who agreed to fix when I collected Def it was working Shocked

So obviously didn't want to take to LR without fault.....tried to generate fault so with foot to floor took it to 3k rpm several times and no problem at all Shocked Shocked

Took to 4k rpm and limp mode but no mil....

Next day limp mode had gone after a few short journeys in limp but then shortly after start of next journey limp and mil light!!

Def now at dealers awaiting diagnosis / replacement turbo.

Last edited by Caterham on 19th Feb 2014 8:32am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #309356 18th Feb 2014 10:20pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
^^....when I collected Def it was working Shocked .....tried to generate so with foot to floor took it to 3k rpm several times and no problem at all Shocked Shocked Took to 4k rpm and limp mode but no mil....

Caterham, that sounds like a deliberate attempt to destroy something which apparently worked. Shocked And not all on this forum may be happy to read such things. Rolling Eyes It also won't help to stretch your fuel consumption to any further records... Laughing You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #309424 19th Feb 2014 5:54am
Caterham

Very Happy
Post #309434 19th Feb 2014 8:32am
Caterham

Very Happy
Mr. Green

well turbo seems to be working a treat.

old one didn't have any obvious signs of carbon build up however the service manager brought my attention to the fact that the fan spindle had quite alot of play in it?

there was certainly far more than I would have expected but with no oil in it and nothing to compare it to I can't really say.

anyhow hopefully over the w/e I'll get to do a few miles and report back.

hope you all have a good weekend.
Thumbs Up
Post #312291 28th Feb 2014 11:20am
Caterham

as mentioned above my faulty turbo had alot of play in the fan spindle. compare it to another an there was no detectable play what so ever.

my question therefore is could this play have been there since day one / is it likely to have been there since day one and if not what is likely to have cause this to become loose?
Post #315416 12th Mar 2014 8:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>