↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bring back Concorde
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
My understanding of why they stopped flying was because BOAC who built and therefor owned all the parts and patents for concord eventually evolved into Airbus, who had no interest in maintaining and manufacturing and storing thousands and thousands of parts for one design of plane, so gave BA an ultimatum- buy all the spares at once and store them or we will stop producing them.
Clearly they couldn’t do that so they stopped producing parts and then stopped flying.

Sadly I think the only company that would ever be able to get them flying again would be Virgin and BA/Airbus would never sell the parts or planes to Branson because of politics. Sad

Personally, I think in today’s market of mega rich people BA are being unbelievably dim in not running just one and charging a fortune for tickets as they would sell. But without part support it makes it impossible.

On a side note, start buying up hard to get defender spares now!
Post #276479 24th Oct 2013 10:28pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
K9F wrote:
Whilst an icon in it's era time has passed. We already have/had one 'hunk of junk' flying about with the perpetual begging bowl out being rattled and numerous disappointments with the Vulcan. A lot of goodwill and favour went into the Vulcan whilst a select few made a nice living from it! Should Concorde make a reappearance with the correct dispensations and financing it would undoubtedly be a delight and a crowd puller, hopefully not another street beggar.

Totally agree with you Thumbs Up

Lets move on & build something better & more ingenious Thumbs Up

Electric space flight anyone? Whistle Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

2015 110 XS UW sadly stolen 21/11/2017
Post #277510 28th Oct 2013 2:44pm
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
Agree with above.

Why on earth would you want to bring back Concorde? There was barely a business case when it was launched, never mind now. People who can afford the stupendous cost of the ticket will (mostly) be able to afford private jet travel (surprisingly affordable on a time share or lease basis, apparently) with the added bonus that it will run to a timetable to suit them.

Whereas Concorde needs three crew upfront, as has been stated its engines are low bypass military types so consequently scream like you wouldn’t believe…and it can’t do its party piece over land anyway!

It’s ironic that all these armchair engineers who lament the passing of Concorde state that, at the time it was forward-looking, way ahead of its time and so on, seem incapable of looking forward now, only backward.

Mind you, I might be a bit jaded, I work in engineering in Bristol, so regularly meet ‘old boys’ who claim to have single-handedly developed Concorde in a fag break.

Matt Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #277519 28th Oct 2013 3:20pm
jimbob7

For the Concorde aficionado's;

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/what-we-do/aircraft-engines/
For sale,one careful owner.

Post #277538 28th Oct 2013 5:22pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I've seen these many times, well worth a view. It makes it look both dated and advanced at the same time.

Take Off: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=16a_1231096566
Climb: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9db_1231097949
Descent: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b79_1231107001
Post #277595 28th Oct 2013 8:43pm
IanW

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Concord (sorry, missed the 'e' at the end
Awful to see that once graceful thing quietly rotting on the old BAC airfield at Filton. Ironic that the French disaster which caused the fuel tank fire was caused by a piece which had fallen off a Boeing aircraft thrown up from the runway. It wasn't grounded though, oddly enough. Local folklore was that immediately after it had landed at Filton on that last flight the various hydraulic fluids were drained from the systems as allegedly the wish from on high, (but don't know how high) was that it would never fly again. A good project for Richard Branson, perhaps? One wife - livid
Post #277612 28th Oct 2013 9:14pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I seem to remember Virgin offering to buy and run the Concord fleet shortly before BA grounded them but BA turned them down. I think Concord has flown its last.

There was a bit in The Times recently saying Virgin plans to turn its space orbiter into a London to Sydney (in 3 hrs) aircraft. That ought to fill the space left by Concord. (see what I did there, space - orbiter!)
Post #277627 28th Oct 2013 10:01pm
keith

Scotland 
Amazing to think that concorde was making £500 million profit before its demise
Post #310720 22nd Feb 2014 11:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12