↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intermittent TC and ABS Warning Lights!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
marklockett2103

i had my 2010 90xs crossed up in a ditch a week or two back difflock was in, had front right and rear left spinning, i assume this means its not working at all? no warning lights came on at all, didnt really think much about it, then yesterday in the snow i gave some welly in a carpark and had wheels spinning all round... surely if the TC isnt working the light would be on.... ABS seems to be working no problems
Post #122081 7th Feb 2012 2:50pm
Dubbinaround

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Had the same problem with mine with all 3 lights on though, ive had it in the garage numerous occasions and i got the same answer back from them saying nothing was logged, finally i saw a glitch, when i used it at night the fault would show within a few miles of leaving home, so i thought lights are on (drawing power) what if i turn on window heaters / operate windows etc, when i did this the lights would come on every time and go out when i switched off and back on again.....................this had to be an earth fault and not the issues that everyone thought regarding sensors etc.....................back into the garage again with this info and the fault was found to be a poor earth so throwing up the dash lights, this has been sorted now and the issue has not raised its ugly head since (it has raised a few others though!!) Defenders dont you just love em ha ha

58 plate 110 xs sw

Cheers Rich
Post #125592 21st Feb 2012 1:48pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Traction Control Operating At Low Speeds.
Had a strange one today. Truck running as sweet as a nut but had to slam on the brakes harder than I've ever had to before.

Thereafter at low speeds Traction Control would operate at low speeds (up to about 20 mph) when slowing down and braking and also pulling away in first and/or second.

Thought I may have chopped or chafed a cable. Also with recent wiring mods I thought I may have disturbed a relay or connector perhaps. Had a further 70-80 miles to do which the fault constantly manifested itself.

Got home (no codes on fault reader) got under driver's seat and reseated relays and connectors, pulled 30 amp green fuse for ABS and got under vehicle to check loom as far as possible.

Left fuse out started vehicle and then shut down and put fuse back in. Fault now seems to have disappeared on test drive. Can't state what was wrong but thought a trip to my new independant was on the cards. Perhaps not, fingers crossed.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #238936 27th May 2013 1:25pm
K9F

Saga continues.....

Drive for a while and repeat of symptoms above. Decided to get wiring diagrams out and 'bell out' the cables from under the driver's seat at the modulator. Short circuit offside sensor. Removed rear sensors and loom and as it was smothered in waxoyl had to give it a clean, nothing wrong with that end and all sensors had correct resistance values of about 1000 ohms. Damage was on vehicle side of loom chafed cable approximately a foot from the connector end.

Cut out affected couple of inches. You can clearly see the conductors.

Click image to enlarge

Nailed in a couple of environmentally sealed inline splices.

Then heatshrunk the area.

Click image to enlarge

Fingers crossed that's an end to it! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #240420 2nd Jun 2013 11:10am
K9F

Finally got everything back together and applied self-amalgamating tape to as much of the loom as possible and secured it more effectively to prevent further chafing.....

Seems to be fixed having spent several hours on a back road with a pair of pliers trying to get the wheel sensor gap right. Gap should be as small as possible, achieved by gently tapping sensors all the way home. Was trying to be too clever for my own good!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #240453 2nd Jun 2013 3:04pm
rev it

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Have just had the intermitant TC & ABS lights on, found a bunch of wires had rubbed through on the ABS modulator block, mended damaged wire and all ok, so far. Just so you all know of another possible place! Smile
Post #311227 24th Feb 2014 12:22pm
Tumich

Czech Republic 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Blenheim Silver
[quote="Dubbinaround"]Had the same problem with mine with all 3 lights on though, ive had it in the garage numerous occasions and i got the same answer back from them saying nothing was logged, finally i saw a glitch, when i used it at night the fault would show within a few miles of leaving home, so i thought lights are on (drawing power) what if i turn on window heaters / operate windows etc, when i did this the lights would come on every time and go out when i switched off and back on again.....................this had to be an earth fault and not the issues that everyone thought regarding sensors etc.....................back into the garage again with this info and the fault was found to be a poor earth so throwing up the dash lights, this has been sorted now and the issue has not raised its ugly head since (it has raised a few others though!!) Defenders dont you just love em ha ha

Where was the poor earth found?
it seems taht i have the same issue with mine , cos the front windscreen heater does not work at all, but you could meassere that it should be ok

cheers
Post #311813 26th Feb 2014 10:22am
Tumich

Czech Republic 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Blenheim Silver
MY Problem solved,

i made new ground conection to the ABS/TC main unit, which ist under the seat and the problemīs gone
now after a week it is still ok
Post #315444 12th Mar 2014 10:59am
RF3777

Hong Kong 2003 Defender 110 Td5 USW Corris Grey
Tumich, Would you tell how did you made the new ground to the ABS unit?
such as where to connect both ends?
Post #469984 6th Nov 2015 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123