↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intermittent TC and ABS Warning Lights!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
In Dealers!
Car's in!

They've give me as a courtesy car one of the high spec Freelander Jobbies. Bl00dy hell it's got more buttons and levers than a fighter jet! Want a laugh at my expense?

Got in it and looked at the fob for the button that would swing out the key so I could insert it into the slot that should be on the side of the steering column shroud. Neither could be found?????
Ok....Deep breath.... this cannot be too difficult...... locate aperture for fob thingy and push it in...... Yippee dashboard springs into life with lights and radio comes on.....What next?????

Dilemma.....five or six minutes after having been handed the key do you go back in chest out and request how do you start it? No!!!! The entire dealership will know of your ignorance within a few seconds of you exiting even the nice looking chick at reception who politely smiled and wants your body but doesn't quite realise it yet will think you are a 'dweeb' when she finds out!!!! This is a man thing!

Find 'engine start/stop button' hiding behind indicator stalk. Start engine and gingerly drive away feeling like you are the most intelligent being in the Northern Hemisphere if not the entire Galaxy after all!

Can't wait for the return of my Defender! Prefer the simple things in life! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #23173 29th Jan 2010 10:43am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Just try the new range rovers...you dont even need to insert the key Exclamation Mike
Post #23181 29th Jan 2010 11:28am
K9F

Sorted Hopefully!
Got vehicle back, problem was with the 'rear left outlet valve' aparently the cable had been routed incorrectly since manufacture and had chaffed against an adjacent loom. Result was it was shorting out and giving me the TC and ABS captions.
Cable has since been rerouted and repaired and it will not reoccur. Even gave it a clean for me bless 'em.

K9F's got a smile on his face and no captions getting on his t1ts on his instrument cluster, happy days. For now anyway!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #23195 29th Jan 2010 5:11pm
mhasting2004

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Faulty loom
Hi K9F

I've got exactly the same symptoms. Did they mention where the fault was found as so far I havent located a problem but the dealer has changed everything except the loom and I'm tired of being without a vehicle while they search for answers.

Cheers

Mark
Post #27634 21st Mar 2010 10:07pm
mse

I have the ABS and TC light on last wednesday - only for a short period, pulled over, restart - still on, then pulled in after 100yrds and off.

Not happened in my other journeys.

Is this the begining of something?? Mike
Post #27655 21st Mar 2010 11:21pm
K9F

mse,

Mine manifested itself pretty much the same as yours and got progressively worse over time! It used to reset by switching ignition off then on! In the end it would reoccur everytime I drove off after a mile or so, eventually I drove to the dealers and left my engine running so I could show them! Aparently the faults were 'logged in the vehicle' so they had an inckling where to look! It was as explained a damaged cable! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27662 21st Mar 2010 11:30pm
mse

Oh joy - any detail on the location? Although sods law says it wouldnt be the same place.

Only done it once in the ever (in the last few days) 200 miles done since...ill ring them up tomorrow I think. Mike
Post #27668 21st Mar 2010 11:56pm
jools

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
My Td5 has had the same problem - or simular....

When driving I, occasionaly get all three light up - ABS, TC and the Red handbrake light.

Stop and "reboot" and everything is back to normal

Seems to happen more when its wet......

Time to book it in - under warranty!

Jools 2003 90 XS SW

Support Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - www.buy.at/dc4x4
Post #28519 30th Mar 2010 11:03pm
K9F

Re: Sorted Hopefully!
K9F wrote:
problem was with the 'rear left outlet valve' aparently the cable had been routed incorrectly since manufacture and had chaffed against an adjacent loom. Result was it was shorting out and giving me the TC and ABS captions.
Cable has since been rerouted and repaired and it will not reoccur.Thumbs Up

Just thought I would reiterate what the original fault findings were. I have since had two months trouble free motoring without any reoccurrence whatsoever. Would suggest if possible that anyone fault finding would soak the underside of the car and carry out insulation tests on the loom.

Good luck to all fellow sufferers.

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #28545 31st Mar 2010 7:41am
jools

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Did anyones red "handbrake" light come on aswell - or is that just me...... 2003 90 XS SW

Support Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - www.buy.at/dc4x4
Post #28682 31st Mar 2010 11:53pm
K9F

Jools,

I didn't have any red hand brake lights....Doesn't necessarily mean anything unusual, if the handbrake cables are in the same loom/cable run as the TC and ABS ones it could be that different cables may be possibly damaged in the same loom on your vehicle manifesting itself as a slightly different snag???? Get a decent sparky (electrician) to look at it or take it to your dealers if convenient.

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #28689 1st Apr 2010 7:34am
mhasting2004

I may be wrong but generally the handbrake warning light also doubles as a general brake error. It will also light if your fluid is low for example. On mine its all three that light up and this amkes sense as its a general fault that is affecting both ABS and TC.

The fault I have is indicative of a fault between the ECU and the Brake modualtor. The loom for this goes thru the bulkhead, behind the dash and down the tunnel so a good soaking underneath may not prove anything.

I'll post were the fault is on mine once I find it.. at this moment it appeasrs to be behind the dash.

Cheers

Mark
Post #28890 3rd Apr 2010 6:40am
mhasting2004

Fault found
Hi Guys

Well it seems they have finally found out what was causing my intermittant problem and traced it back to a loose ground strap for the modulator. This is located on the bulkhead in the engine bay behind the radiator expansion tank.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark
Post #30700 25th Apr 2010 9:50pm
totoD110

OMG Shocked every time I read a fault here in this forum its happening to my truck. Got this fault exactly K9F's truck problem. Big Cry
Post #30714 26th Apr 2010 3:37am
tieds

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I've had a similar problem on my 2010 110. TC operates intermittently on take of, sometimes operating for a second or two. I mean the traction control pump is actually working and the TC light comes on. This is in dry conditions on ashphalt and in a straight line!!!

Are you guys getting this or is it just the light coming on with no pulsing of the ABS pump?

Any suggestions appreciated as the dealership says they "can't find the fault" even though they've acknowledged its existence.
Post #122062 7th Feb 2012 12:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>