↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre size on standard steel rim ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stevie

United Kingdom 
Tyre size on standard steel rim ?
The time has come to replace the tyres on my 110 double cab. It has the standard steel wheels on and michelin 7.50 xcl. What size tyre shall i replace it with? I m wanting something with better off road ability, probably an all terrain tyre. The tyre shop told me that 235 85 16 ( I need to check what they wrote down but its outside in the car ). Would this be ok ?
Post #21341 5th Jan 2010 9:29pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Re: Tyre size on standard steel rim ?
stevie wrote:
The time has come to replace the tyres on my 110 double cab. It has the standard steel wheels on and michelin 7.50 xcl. What size tyre shall i replace it with? I m wanting something with better off road ability, probably an all terrain tyre. The tyre shop told me that 235 85 16 ( I need to check what they wrote down but its outside in the car ). Would this be ok ?

A bit of a contradiction of terms there... you say you're running XCL's, but then want something with better off road ability, possibly an AT????

the XCL is definately a mud tyre. so to go to an AT would be a milder tread, not more aggressive.

not sure if 235's will fit a stanrad steel rim. they'll fit the HD "vented" rims OK though (AKA "wolf" rims) but i think the standard 5.5" steel is too narrow.

If you move to 235/85 flavour though, there's umpteen tyres you can choose from. BFG MT or AT are a good starting point.
for my "road" tyres, i use the factory for general grabber TR's, which are suprisingly good in mud for the type of tread, and nice and quiet on tarmac too. in 235/85/16 size.
Post #21344 5th Jan 2010 10:02pm
stevie

United Kingdom 
Sorry , my mistake. Think mine are xpc. Got them mixed up as I ve been looking at xzl, xcl etc. Just got the wrong 3 letters.
Post #21354 5th Jan 2010 10:32pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
235 85 16 Kumho KL71's or BFG mud terrains.... or BFG all terrains bit they go like slicks in mud and soft grass. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #21369 6th Jan 2010 3:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1