↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > hippo alternatives
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
hippo alternatives
Hi. As part of planning for all the potential fallout from my old man going into hospital for a serious hip operation we are looking at an alternative to the defender, one that he can actually get in and out of. Ultimately the sacrifice is going to be towing but the reward will be economy. So given that the freelander2 is not the most economic of its competitors should I give serious consideration to a diesel forester, a tiguan and a kuga? all 2.0diesel and 4x4.

Any thoughts or other alternatives? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #272391 8th Oct 2013 8:29pm
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Most of the newer soft 4x4's like the kuga, tiguan and the japanese versions offered by nissan and Toyota are all much the same alot are based on similar platforms with very similar engines and you could spend all day comparing all the various features and specs. Depends if towing is important go for the one with best towing weight. All that kind of vehicle are fairly reliable these days. I would go for the one you can get the best deal on that best suits your individual requirements. 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #272496 9th Oct 2013 10:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If towing is an issue how about a Ford Ranger DC, one of few vehicles with the same towing capacity as the Defender? I am not sure how easy ingress/egress is though, since I haven't tried the latest incarnation of the Ranger. Earlier ones were quite car-like to get in or out.
Post #272503 9th Oct 2013 10:34am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ranger is cramped IMO much worse than a Defender IMO floor is too high roof to low and seat to close to the floor, I'm sure you can see what I mean by that. So not good for comfort room etc, saying that the new one is probably re designed.
The Nissan Quasquai might be worth looking at also. They are 2.0 I think and should be not too bad to get in and out of.and comfortable for him. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #272508 9th Oct 2013 10:45am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
mr clarkson likes the yeti (skoda)
Post #272511 9th Oct 2013 10:51am
pjb

Hi LTF

We have a Tiguan at work 2.0 tdi sport 50k miles auto 4x4 hi spec that we will be selling end of month when the drivers new car arrives.

It is more a car that is a 4x4 rather than a 4x4 that is a car, so ground clearance not brilliant but pretty luxury interior.

Probably too far away for you but if you wanted to see & try it just to get an idea of what a soft roader is like you are more than welcome Thumbs Up 2020 P300 HSE
Post #272513 9th Oct 2013 10:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
OH seems to like and get on ok with her Yeti, same with the CRV she had before that. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #272525 9th Oct 2013 11:49am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
My inlaws have a Yeti and it is pretty good. Given the sort of things you've described using your Defender for though, any of those sorts of vehicles is going to be a huge compromise. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #272554 9th Oct 2013 1:39pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
My Dad had a recent Hip Op and had to swap his 3-series Saloon for an X3 (he's a BMW man).

The Freelander2 was his 2nd choice (would have bought the FL2, had it not been for him being a BMW man). Wifey's Evoque is the same...fits him well but he doesn't like the style of the Evoque.

he also finds my XC70 pretty good - it's quite a bit higher than a standard saloon/estate.

Auto gearbox was a big bonus for him after the hip op...

The in-laws went for a GOLF PLUS (Automatic again) after the hip op, that's a very good choice Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #272564 9th Oct 2013 2:21pm
lambert.the.farmer

Ok ta. Lots to think about. He likes yeti's but they don't really tow. Big dc pickups are out as they just don't fit the farm. I would have an automatic transmission in a heart beat but he won't give them house room more's the pity. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #272608 9th Oct 2013 5:35pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
If the only reason to rule out the hippo is the fuel economy, then I would buy a hippo. Ours is great, with remap better, even the fuel economy. And most manufacturer published mpg's are BS anyway.

Andy
Post #272630 9th Oct 2013 7:31pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It may not suit all needs but what about a 2.0l diesel passat alltrack with 6 speed dsg auto box? Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #272633 9th Oct 2013 7:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lambert.the.farmer

We were talking about this in some detail yesterday and whilst it is all totally dependent on how his hip op goes (he might have his licence pulled yet and that is a whole lot more fun) the issue could be that we end up with a fleet of car cars all of which will be very nice but not really appropriate for the farm. It is almost as if there is nothing out there to fill our niche. The majority of smaller vans are not 4x4 and can't really tow that much, the smaller 4x4 s are cars and the 4x4 pickups are all huge. We had looked at the Isuzu as they will tow 3.5 tonnes and while they are the smallest of the pickups they're still over 5m and to get the tow capacity means buying new which does not sit well with him. Yes as a farm truck the 90 is the best but if only I can used it ie get In it then all that practicality really counts for nought. By the same token though if he comes back in no fit state to do anything then I will not need to change anything but it pays to have a plan. It's looking like I need to get the welder out and make something Shocked Rolling with laughter Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #272721 10th Oct 2013 7:27am
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Would a set of side steps make access to the Defender easier for your dad ?

As you say there,s not anything to fill your needs,the old Subaru pick up they used to make was very popular with the farming fraternity years ago but they all seem to have disappeared now.

I guess you,ll have to wait and see how complete his recovery is before making a decision. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #272726 10th Oct 2013 8:24am
lambert.the.farmer

I have steps already and they help but not enough. Brats were amazing we must have had nearly 7 or 8 in quick succession pity that they rotted so bad. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #272734 10th Oct 2013 10:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1