↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air intake issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
obsidian

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Air intake issues
Was wondering if anyone had experienced problems with air intake on Puma 2.4 ?
My 110 Utility has recently started to sound very throaty and short of someone swapping for a V8 when I wasn't looking I am having a problem with air intake or on the exhaust side perhaps a cracked manifold. I did check my air filter cover and whilst it was a little loose, refining it hasn't solved the problem.

Has anyone experienced problems with the air intake ? I am sure it's not a turbo problem as it is a very low and throaty sound - like a blown exhaust. The air intake on the 2.4 has a very short run before it hits the turbo but not easy to access, so thought I would ask here before taking a closer look.
Post #272278 8th Oct 2013 1:10pm
SGoggin

I had a similar issue on my old 2.4 - although it did not sound like a V8 or I would have left it as is!
On mine the EGR started sticking, when the EGR is open the noise level increased dramatically especially when idling.
The other issue I had - but this was in my new Defender is that the intake itself was loose - still is - and is vibrating nastily.
Post #272429 8th Oct 2013 10:26pm
obsidian

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
It's interesting that you say you think your intake is loose as that's the feeling I have with mine. My 110 is only 2 years old and I have covered 23K in that time and it has only just started to get very throaty at around 2000rpm. I see that others have said that the 2.4 is throaty but that has not been my experience until recently so for me I can't say that it is a normal noise. It is going into the dealer next week and this is on the 'to do' list but in my experience the dealerships don't have as much mechanical experience these days so my expectation for them diagnosing it is low. Hence asking around the forum.
Thanks for your response
Post #272431 8th Oct 2013 10:40pm
john_g

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Tamar Blue
Mine is a 2.2 not a 2.4, but from new there was a blarting farting noise from the engine air intake. This was not so obvious with the side window closed, but with it open when driving around town the noise was a definite irritant. It was cured by fitting a raised air intake - this also stopped (I hope) the ingestion of fine road spray and mist into the air filter along with the induction air. The air filter has a foam sheet to trap ingested moisture, but on one occasion before the raised intake was fitted the filter became so clogged with moisture that the suction from the turbocharger collapsed the intake pipe causing a throaty roar and a reduction in engine power. Was this the source of your roar, I wonder?

John.
Post #273145 12th Oct 2013 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1