Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WAFU

England 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Very upset with LR
Hi guys

I thought I would gauge general opinion on this before I do anything further

Brought a brand new XS Defender about 8 weeks ago from Matford Exeter. The front windscreen leeks like a sieve everytime it rains so I booked her in to get it sorted. No problems so far.

I was asked if I required a loan car, yes please, then asked who do I insure with. Well I brought Land Rovers own insurance so should have no problems there. Wrong! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Apparently Matford will need to charge me £10 a day insurance to use their loan car to cover the insurance as my Land Rover policy wont cover me.

I thought that cannot be true so I phoned Land Rover Insurance and they said thats right. They only cover the costs for servicing and accidents. I phoned LR customer services and they appeared slightly bemused that Matford would even mention that I would have to pay insurance costs to cover a loan vehicle whilst mine was in for warranty work!

My wife has an Audi and its been in several times for warranty work and not once, ever, has she needed to pay insurance costs for a cover car.

Im amazed!
Post #274785 18th Oct 2013 1:02pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
It is the kind of petty action that really dampens the customer experience, so I would be interested to see what LRCR say.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #274787 18th Oct 2013 1:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WAFU

OK

Quick update. As soon as I pressed the submit button Matfords main man phoned me. Very polite conversation took place and it was explained to me that it was Matfords policy to charge insurance costs for loan cars but then again my car should not be coming in for warranty work so there was a case to answer too. He informed me that I would not be charged in this instance.

So all has ended well. I do however feel a little uneasy that I buy a brand new car, its faulty, and Ive been asked to cover the costs of insuring a replacement car. Not a great start to my Land Rover ownership. Its left me with a slightly sour taste in my mouth Confused

Cant fault them for getting back to me though. Very quick.
Post #274789 18th Oct 2013 1:09pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
Yep the same for me at Hunters in Derby.

I have other separate issues to which Mike passed on to a colleague who was completely useless. Promised calls within a certain time frame which never happened etc.

So have decided to escalate to someone that will see sense and so at 5pm yesterday I obtained a senior Directors phone number and made contact. Hopefully matters will progress and common sense will ensure resolution is made.
Post #274791 18th Oct 2013 1:13pm
steve E

Wales 
Stratstone charge for so called courtesy cars even if for warranty problems also.
Post #274826 18th Oct 2013 3:04pm
Shep

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
It happens with BMW as well (motorad) I just said i thought it was wrong and they backed down straight away and apologised, I'd guess a percentage would just cough up i suppose. A man with no boat is a prisoner
Post #274831 18th Oct 2013 3:14pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Any warranty work should be covered with a free loan car - if the dealer isn't keen they may try and screw some cash out of you. I've never had to pay for a loan car for any work. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #274844 18th Oct 2013 3:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I've never paid for a loan car or insurance... strange how dealers differ
Post #274880 18th Oct 2013 6:01pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
i was asked to pay £10 recently but this was only to cover the excess and that was optional.
Post #274884 18th Oct 2013 6:18pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
if you are having some issues with Matfords then have a chat with Rodger Youngs in Saltash .. we've used both dealers and RY's come out on top by a long way. Thumbs Up

However RY's also have an insurance thing with loan cars - but its wavered if if you are insured with NFU.

As its a new motor then is should be sorted pronto but Matfords Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #274886 18th Oct 2013 6:25pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Would have to agree with wyvern,, Any issues,, go see Roger Young's,,

Recon to date, Matfords have lost out on 5 or 6 Landrovers i have bought, just because they can not grasp the use of the telephone !!!

Quite a few main dealers try the token £10 for insurance cover,, Audi Exeter are the only ones to try it on with me, for warranty work on a R8,, they did not get it mind Rolling Eyes California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #274900 18th Oct 2013 7:25pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Never had to pay or been asked to pay for loan car Insurance, just called insurance co and asked them to put the vehicle on my policy for the day , asked for fax copy of covernote to be sent to garage. Mind one manager did get a bit upset when I asked the the garage insurance details as a fitter has damaged a front wing when driving the Disco into the Garage and they had no body shop to do the repairs, they stated my insurance would cover it," like **** it will" was my reply. I thing they were trying to get there own back for me putting 3 out 4 loan cars they offered off the road due to bald tyres defective lights and windscreen wipers. Thats when I had the powers to do that sort of thing. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #274901 18th Oct 2013 7:26pm
WAFU

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. It looks as if this £10 ins charge issue is not just localised to me then! I may give Roger Young a go if I experience any other "Matford" issues in the future.

Thanks again guys, support most appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #274905 18th Oct 2013 7:45pm
Sonarmender

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Roger Youngs all the way Thumbs Up

The only thing I have ever had to pay for is fuel! The coffee is excellent and you are always treated like a valued customer and they know their product. Thumbs Up

I have used Matfords ONCE and never again, even trying to buy a Defender from them was like Banging Head You only have one life, live it....forget the cost.
90XS Hardtop
Post #274919 18th Oct 2013 8:27pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I have found this to be a very hit and miss issue, having used three different dealers for work, some gave me a free car to use (I think I paid a tenner admin fee and that was it) others wanted to charge £10 a day insurance unless I could find insurance cheaper (which I did). You would have thought a free loan car would be par for the course when a vehicle is in for warranty.

My local indy gives me a free car when I take the 110 in for a service, it doesn't cost me a bean. (the loan car I mean, sadly the service is not free Wink ) 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #275024 19th Oct 2013 10:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>