↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Found this on the internet today...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Go and do a half day at Gaydon, you get to visit the design and engineering dept and then take a ride around the complex onto the high speed track and proving grounds.

You will find out a lot of info. You will also see strange combinations of LR products. Very cleverly disguised vehicles held together with spit and string. For instance the last time I was there we spotted a long Freelander, however it looked like it had Evoque bits. So god knows what this vehicle would end up being, a 7 seat Evoque? a 7 seat Freelander? the new Jag SUV? or binned? We all know that the Freelander was tested using a Maestro Van.

Dare I say it but what's the chance that there is a Defender replacement vehicle driving around at this moment in time with a Discovery shell sat on the new chassis and running gear.

I know a lot of people that have D3/4's that can’t wait to jump into the Defender replacement as they feel the D4 is now too up market. There is defiantly a huge gap between the current Defender and D4 at the moment, if the Defender is dropped without a replacement there will be an even bigger gap between the Freelander and D4.

So is Land Rovers plan to get current up market D4 owners into the 7 seat RRS, down grade the D4 into a utility vehicle to fill the gap? The thing is, how many D4 owners will move to a RRS? not many Neutral so I don't think this is the way it will go.

People discuss markets and volume sales and what's the point of a new Defender, I’m no expert but take the RRS and FFRR they do the same thing they and dare I say it ‘similar vehicles’ so what’s the point of producing the two options? Its easy, they fill two completely different markets. (and there is a waiting list) As does the Freelander, my salesman has a Freelander why? because it suits his requirements he could have had a D4 or a Evoque but he went for the Freelander. The Evoque is selling like hot cakes clearly they found/created a market for it.

There is a place in the market for a LR utility 4x4, but LR have to get it right if it’s a direct replacement vehicle for the Defender. Take BMW with the new MINI they got it right whereas VW didn’t with the new Beetle.

The way I see it we will see either a new Defender that’s the ducks nuts or a new Land Rover Utility that will also be the ducks nuts. Whichever vehicle comes out is going to be awesome both on and off road. Last Friday I spent the day at LRE Rockingham with a RRS and that vehicle has unbelievable off road ability (yes better than the Defender) so the new LR 4x4 Utility will have to be better than the current model line-up.

And then we can start the speculation, to be the best LR off road the new LR Utility will have to have all the bits the current models have with extras thrown in, Progressive TC, Independent Air Suspension with cross link valves, etc etc. Then the Japs will crap themselves Thumbs Up
Post #267396 17th Sep 2013 1:03pm
Rant Lover

Ecuador 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Modernize the current model!
I recently read that if LR takes the Defender out of production in 2015, some 3rd party would surely step in and produce them instead! What are the chances of that to happen?

I`m still hoping for a modern Defender, with the same looks but a more modern interior (airbags, NAV-screen) and an engine that meets all the environmental requirements!

Ra Lo
Post #267428 17th Sep 2013 4:16pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
AndrewS...Hello from Aus...VERY good post mate.
Yeah, the "new" Defender? Well, Australia used to be a very big market for Defender, but not any more. It has simply been over run by the Jap/Asian "Invasion"..Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Mazda, Ford, Kia, etc etc, all produce vehicles that do the same job as defender, many of them are more powerful, some are bigger, and most are cheaper.....and none of them were around 20 yrs ago.
It's been said that Defender is still the best "off road, in extreme conditions" etc, and it most probably is, but it's also true that most people, enthusiasts excepted, are not looking for/don't need/won't use, this capability.
I can see that things are different in the U.K., as mention has been made of the many Defenders used "on the farm, for the business" etc.....that rarely happens in Aus...because of the competition. So, in Aus, the Defender is now basically an enthusiasts vehicle....hense the small market.
I would think Defender's market worlwide has been affected in varying degrees the same as the Aussie market has.
In view of the aforesaid "competition", JLR may well have to produce a "Replacement Defender" that will more successfully be able to compete with the competition, that is, if they wish to markedly increase sales.
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #267566 17th Sep 2013 11:32pm
AndrewS

I agree Pickles there is a world wide market for a rugged Land Rover utility.
Post #267581 18th Sep 2013 7:31am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
AndrewS wrote:
You will see the LAND ROVER disappear from all bonnets. LAND ROVER will be replaced with the model ie DISCOVERY FREELANDER DEFENDER

Noticed that's already done for the frankfurt display this year:

Post #267649 18th Sep 2013 12:07pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
^^ not keen on that particular colour scheme or those wheels but I do like that bonnet badging. Thumbs Up 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #267757 18th Sep 2013 9:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Losing the LAND ROVER bonnet badge isn't a big hardship. It only came in 6 years ago. As long as there is still a green oval somewhere i'll be happy. www.td5.org
Post #267763 18th Sep 2013 9:59pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I always though it was a bit pointless putting the Land Rover wording on the Defender bonnet everybody in the whole world knows what it is ! 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #267775 18th Sep 2013 10:30pm
Pickles

So, at what stage will they start placing "Defender" on the bonnet of production models?
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #267790 18th Sep 2013 11:27pm
AndrewS

Not sure but my sticker order is placed Whistle
Post #267802 19th Sep 2013 6:59am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I think I like the Land Rover badging more.
Post #267864 19th Sep 2013 11:06am
ken

United Kingdom 
Perhaps the A Bar will say Land Rover Thumbs Up
Post #267865 19th Sep 2013 11:17am
Pickles

Supacat wrote:
I think I like the Land Rover badging more.

So do I.
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #267871 19th Sep 2013 11:48am
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
You could leave all the badges off and everyone would still know what it is, not just petrolheads either, everyone!
Post #268187 20th Sep 2013 5:45pm
AndrewS

Yea a bit like when people with horses put the word HORSES on their Horse box. Never worked out why this is necessary, presume its because some stable hands are a bit thick. You can imagine the conversation.

"Billy put the Horses in the Lorry" ...........

"Billy where are the Horses"

"In the lorry boss"

"No they are not Billy"

"Yes they are Boss in the one going to the abattoir"

"Johnny get some more horses a tin of paint and a paint brush"

Thumbs Up
Post #268686 23rd Sep 2013 7:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>