Home > Tdi > Allard FMIC Mounting Brackets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Allard FMIC Mounting Brackets
Hi All,

Reasonably new here. I do mean to add myself to the welcome section, just keep forgetting.

Any who, I posted this up on another Forum, but not had a reply yet, so thought I'd try you lot ... See if anyone can help Razz Smile ...

I have a 300TDI 90 and going through some work on it at the moment, part of which is the fitting of an Allard Full Width FMIC.

Took a couple weeks to get sent the missing brackets, but they finally turned up and went to fit this weekend. However, I realised the Defender instructions were missing to. Found an Allisport PDF, but no pics and very vague, so thought sod it. I'll give it a go. Look reasonably easy to figure out.

However, I just need some confirmation I have them right. Where they are, the IC actually touches the rad frame. Ok, it's the 2 side places and the welding lumps, but it still touches and I don't feel to comfortable with it like that. The Vertical pieces both sit off square to, which again, probably OCD, but it doesn't sit well!

Could someone take a look at the attached pics and see if they are fitted correctly (Obviously you would have to have fitted on to know, or seen one at least Razz!).

I'm considering removing them and putting a 3mm piece of SS bar across the whole length, then welding the 'L' brackets fitted properly vertical, not sqewy!

Many Thanks!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #263058 2nd Sep 2013 10:04am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hi and welcome to the forum Smile

If you trial refit the grille panel is there enough clearance between the IC and the panel/grille to add a couple of spacers in the lower bracket, pushing the IC forwards slightly?

PS: I've moved your thread to the "Tdi" section as it's more relevant there Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #263069 2nd Sep 2013 10:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
taazzukcb

Unnecessary quote removed

Hi Smile ...

I did wonder if TDI would be better, but thought it was a bit more general, but yep, that's cool ... thanks muchly!

I'll see what room I get. I've yet to remove the lip from the front as well, so will take that back flush to give me the most room and give it a trial run. Tempted to remove a little meat from the rad surround front lip to (The little bit that sticks up on the lower section of the surround. Again to give me a little more wobble room!).
Post #263071 2nd Sep 2013 10:47am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm guessing a little here but having recently fitted an intercooler myself you have adjustable brackets and what 'appears' to be plently of vertical space. If Martin's suggestion of spacers do not work could you not consider getting a slightly longer pair of right angled brackets manufactured to perhaps lift the intercooler up a few mm? If there's room you could also consider either a very thin dense foam or butyl gasket to protect the intercooler from chafing.

I too suffer from mild OCD and sympathise wholeheartedly. Thumbs Up Cool If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #263077 2nd Sep 2013 11:15am
taazzukcb

Unnecessary quote removed

That's not a bad idea. I have the top brackets so need to test fit those and see where they sit, but again, it's just some fairly crude jobs, so may again uprate them a tad, so could probably do whatever fits best overall. May as well try with what I paid for first then once I found the right position, I'll make some more solid jobs!

I have to admit, the bracketry supplied does seem somewhat 'crude' and 'cheap' for the cost of these things! I know adjustability plays a bigger part with landys due there ... erm ... 'differences' Razz ... but they could of still provided a much more solid set-up for perhaps a few ££ less in profit!

Just noticed in me pic, there's a clump of bent fins on it to *Grumbles* ... I know it'd happen eventually, but whilst it's shiny, that's annoying :p!
Post #263079 2nd Sep 2013 11:25am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Once you have the size of the bracket you require any decent fabricator would be able to knock you up a set of single piece brackets at minimum cost that would negate the requirement for the bolt holding the two angled pieces together. That for me would potentially be the weakest link.
I've mentioned it before it's the inferior fixtures and fittings often supplied with decent kit that let the overall quality of the product down.

K9F wrote:
Most manufacturers of extras the main failing for me is the poor quality fixings supplied with them. It is these that deteriorate quickly and rot transfers quickly to the vehicle? Extras should be fit and forget I agree but if you're bright enough to use a little ingenuity to make it better, due possibly to the supplier eaking out a little more profit by using cheap fixings then why on Earth not especially if it will prolong the inevitable onset of rot?
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #263102 2nd Sep 2013 1:14pm
taazzukcb

I always like a good excuse to get the welder out, so I'll sort some brackets out meself Wink ...

I'm thinking a piece of SS angle all the way across, joining the 2 bolt holes, then re-using the upper 'L' brackets and welding them right at the decent spot. If I use some 3mm Angle, then I can mount the 'L' on the outside (towards the front), giving me an extra 2mm or so. Or just make some more 'L' brackets to lol!

BTW, I see my quoting keeps being deleted? I have a habbit of quoting what I'm responding to ... I guess this isn't liked on here?
Post #263104 2nd Sep 2013 1:45pm
Martin
Site Admin

Click the red text to see why quoting the post immediately before your reply is discouraged Whistle  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #263119 2nd Sep 2013 2:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
taazzukcb

I shall try get out the habbit Wink.
Post #263120 2nd Sep 2013 2:38pm
Martin
Site Admin

Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #263121 2nd Sep 2013 2:38pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
The Allard unit that you have certainly looks the part. My standard unit is still holding up fine, but I have always harboured a desire to go to a better IC, this being the safest bit of tuning you can do!

Does the Allard kit come with a blanking shield to go next to the radiator (i.e. one that fits around the entry and exit pipes)? I'm not sure if I have seen any kits with that sort of feature. The reasoning for this is that you would otherwise loose air pressure/flow through the main coolant rad without it, so would have to uprate the matrix on that to keep the same coolant performance. When I did a 200Tdi conversion into a SeriesIII 109" with my mate, we went to an anal level to get the airflows correct through the matrices. The result was something that Landrover should have done 30 years ago. I must get a photo of it sometime... Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #263282 2nd Sep 2013 11:53pm
taazzukcb

No, it doesn't come with a blanking plate unfortunately. Again, probably wouldn't cost masses and would just make it a more complete package, but I guess this hasn't caused to many issues in R&D in the past to call for a plate. I do however understand your theory!

I've planned on removing the viscous anyway and have a mondeo electric fan to go on to run from a thermostat (with a switch bypass). This will, with some plastic welding' completely shroud in the water matrix. I appreciate the electric system shifts far less air compared to hat is a very good viscous set-up, but the viscous IMO is rather to well made Razz!!!

Still keep thinking that one through though ... I also have a new viscous coupling in case I go back to that if I decide against electric. Still keep swinging my decision on that one!
Post #263324 3rd Sep 2013 8:27am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Allard is a name that's been around for many a year and the quality of their kit has always been a selling point; but I am surprised at the bottom mountings. Are they actually from Allard? Looking on their website shows a different arrangement:

Post #263350 3rd Sep 2013 10:03am
taazzukcb

Certainly is from Allard.

I'll get a pic up of the top mounts to at some point. They look similar to the pic you posted, but not painted/powder coated and crudely cut like the lowers.

Purchased from Allard direct and the return address' both state Allard. Invoices all printed up by them to.
Post #263401 3rd Sep 2013 3:12pm
taazzukcb

Hi All,

Bit of an update.

Ripped off the supplied brackets and made my own. Used some 30mm SS angle as a full length support bar. Then used the original 90* bends off of this. A million times stronger and just feels more comfortable with it like that! I do wonder if I should shift it up a little as the bottom row or 2 is covered over by the front panel (which might I add, rests on the IC).

Once they were done I moved onto the supplied top brackets hoping again, they'd be ok. Aaaaand ... Nope ...

Completely wrong and completely useless. I was very annoyed at this point. Just aggravating the cost of this and they cant even make correct brackets. The bottom hole did even fit their own IC!!! So had to drill their brackets out to fit their own IC ... Utterly disappointing!

Also completely wrong in terms of bends. So heated them up and straightened them out. then went on to make my own up.

Right side was long enough to work with, left was way out, so used a drilled out nut as a spacer which worked well. I used a couple of clip-on threads to use the rad brackets as mounts.

Please see pics.

Very very disappointed and tomorrow will be sending Allard an E-Mail as I feel a little let-down by what should of been quite a fun install!

The top 'S' metal piece they provide also rests on the water pump edge. No amount of wiggling or 'fine tuning' could jimmy it into getting a decent gap, so in time, I can see the engine vibration slowly grinding a hole through it!

Next problem was that they say the top brackets are enough to support the top bar for the bonnet catch ... Nope! First close attempt bent the whole bar and pushed the surround slightly into the IC (though didn't puncture it!).

So made up some more of my own brackets to add support. Sort of 2 'L's with the tails pointing in opposite directions. So with the brackets and a grease up and oh .... bending the original frame back, that was sorted.

Overall it's pretty disappointing as I essentially had to manufacture and fit my own set-up for it.

I do wonder if I should of gone with Allisport ... Depends of there set-up is any more 'improved'.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #264638 8th Sep 2013 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>