↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Enough of the 2.2 slagging!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
WWA

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Orkney Grey
Enough of the 2.2 slagging!!
I read a lot on this forum about the latest Defender been 'the worst ever' etc and I would like to put my pennys worth in.. I've had the privilege of driving Td5 engined defenders at work, owning a 2.4 puma and now a 2.2 puma. The 2.2 is the most civilised and easy to drive defender engine ever produced. Lacks some guts for pulling compared to the 2.4, but only if you pulling serious weights near the top end of the maximum towing weight. It is quieter than all its ancestors and is very easy to cruise on a motorway as well as off road at very low speed. Really I don't think the 2.4 and 2.2 are much different, both great engines and I don't think anyone can criticise the 2.2 compared to a 2.4 unless they are in the very small minority of people on here who are pulling 2.5T+ on a trailer... Open to comments and opinions but that's mine!

Td5 definitely sounds the nicest though, out of the diesels..
Post #171298 27th Sep 2012 3:34pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
From what I have seen it is 50:50 on the forum.

Quite a few saying they are happy with the performance and much more than happy with the noise (quieter than the 2.4).

I do believe all the slagging has been over the point that has been mentioned by you- about the slight lack of guts when it comes to heavy towing (I tow 2.5t quite regular so it isn't for me).

The other points bought out have been MPG- bit lower than the 2.4 (which is lower than the Td5, which is lower than the 300Tdi.....). But at the same time there aren't many fully run in yet so the jury is still out.

Also there is the dreaded DPF talk. All car manufacturers are having problems with DPFs so it is only time before the problems arise with the 2.2........ Unless you regularly do longer journeys at higher speeds.

Still no tuning for it yet either though Sad - where is the fun in that!!!! Twisted Evil

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #171300 27th Sep 2012 3:49pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Glynparry25 wrote:

Also there is the dreaded DPF talk. All car manufacturers are having problems with DPFs so it is only time before the problems arise with the 2.2........ Unless you regularly do longer journeys at higher speeds.

Hence my debate as to whether i go ahead and order my 5th Puma !! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #171301 27th Sep 2012 3:59pm
nidge n

I deliberated long and hard over new 2.2 or demo 2.4. I chose the 2.2 and for my needs its been a really good choice. Now i will readily admit to not doing anything extreme, but i will happily confess to using many of the land rovers attributes. In short, i can do what i need to do in terms of off road use but still cruise the motorways and use it for kiddy/dog/DIY and Censored carrying. Interestingly, i have had no issues with DPF and completely forget that this is part of the engines make-up. Has anyone had an issue with DPF yet?
Post #171308 27th Sep 2012 4:30pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I mentioned the particle filter while at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, he said everything you need to know is in the user manual but salespeople ought to mention the need for thrashing it up the motorway from time to time. He said it stores particles until it gets really hot, such as when on the motorway, when it'll burn them off and clean itself out. Without that heat cycle it'll clog.

I think that's fair enough if you were told at the point of sale. I'd have no problem issue with getting a 2.2.
Post #171315 27th Sep 2012 4:58pm
Glynparry25

^^^Pretty much in a nutshell. It comes down personal needs/ circumstances

If you regularly do over 55ish for a long trip (approx 30mins at constant speed) then you will generate enough heat to clear the DPF..... but if you are doing short journeys, low speeds or start/ stop then it will start to clog- if it goes too far it clogs up completely and will need replacing (anything from £2500 to £3000+).

I do loads of off-road and towing (plus the speed limit here is 50mph) so would be forever changing the DPF, so for me and my personal circumstances it would be a no-go.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #171320 27th Sep 2012 5:05pm
nidge n

This 2-2 DPF thread is interesting. I for one dont know if we are dealing with facts or not. I have had my car six months. I dont do long motorway journeys although i will run the car for more than half an hour at normal road speeds. At no point has my warning light come on asking me to take to the hills on a long journey. so its either a faulty warning lamp or the DPF is doing its job. I would still be interested to learn if anyone has actually had a DPF related fault so at least i know what to look for. If not, do we assume that all is not as bad as we are believing? It is what it is but I for one would like to know. For those who have another land rover product with DPF, may i please ask if you have had any issues with your cars. I think that some Freelanders have suffered but im not too sure if LR have suffered more than other manufactures.
Post #171340 27th Sep 2012 6:37pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I remember that when switching to the Puma 2.2 Land Rover went out of their way saying that the DPF was on purpose placed right after the exit of the exhaust gases, and the DPF therefore would get hot enough that even people who drive shorter non-highway distances only would have no problems.
Hope it turns out to be like that.
As a matter of fact, I am a regular reader here, and to date have not seen one 2.2 driver reporting that he had a real DPF problem. I may have missed some comments, but sounds like it is all working out ok, no? You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #171346 27th Sep 2012 7:08pm
Glynparry25

nidge n, when you say 'normal road speeds' what do you mean? It varies from area to area.

When I lived in London it was 20mph because of traffic, when in West wales it was 40mph because of the type of roads, when I was in Rutland it was about 50-60mph because of good roads and not congested.

I have recently been tasked with looking at vehicles for purchase out here- they gave me makes, models and possible engines.

Every manufacturer that I visited (Pretty much every manufacturer) were more than happy to sell me a diesel, but when I asked if it had a DPF and would it be suitable for town/ start-stop driving they all admitted that it will be unsuitable and advised that I either go for a petrol (about £2-4,000 cheaper) or possibly the hybrid (about £1-2,000 more expensive) if I could stretch my budget that far.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #171350 27th Sep 2012 7:27pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
Is the DPF covered under warranty? And is there a bye pass section on the market for this yet?
Post #171351 27th Sep 2012 7:28pm
Glynparry25

Defender-Stu wrote:
Is the DPF covered under warranty? And is there a bye pass section on the market for this yet?

Yes and yes............

A DPF will be covered by warranty, and it wouldn't take much to take the down pipe and ecu from a ROW 2.2.

But your vehicle is certified as Euro 6 (is it 6? or 5?, whichever needs DPF). which means once your DPF is removed the vehicle isn't legally Euro 6 and therefore breaks European law.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #171353 27th Sep 2012 7:33pm
nidge n

Glynparry25 wrote:
nidge n, when you say 'normal road speeds' what do you mean? It varies from area to area.

When I lived in London it was 20mph because of traffic, when in West wales it was 40mph because of the type of roads, when I was in Rutland it was about 50-60mph because of good roads and not congested.

I have recently been tasked with looking at vehicles for purchase out here- they gave me makes, models and possible engines.

Every manufacturer that I visited (Pretty much every manufacturer) were more than happy to sell me a diesel, but when I asked if it had a DPF and would it be suitable for town/ start-stop driving they all admitted that it will be unsuitable and advised that I either go for a petrol (about £2-4,000 cheaper) or possibly the hybrid (about £1-2,000 more expensive) if I could stretch my budget that far.

Glyn Dog Sheep

Evening Glyn

my driving must not average more than 30 MPH for the vast majority of the week, short stop start driving. Then perhaps for one day in the week i may do a 30 minute drive average 50 MPH. Interestingly, I wonder how heat and air quality effects efficiency Question
Post #171393 27th Sep 2012 9:03pm
Glynparry25

If you are getting that drive in each week you 'should' be pretty safe as it wll give the DPF time to burn off the soot, and if it doesn't do it completely it will probably keep it at bay until you do a good drive. It is more for people who don't get that regular run out, like me, I can go a couple of tanks without going over 40-50mph.

Out of curiosity, what mileage have you racked up in the 6 months?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #171396 27th Sep 2012 9:16pm
nidge n

Glynparry25 wrote:
If you are getting that drive in each week you 'should' be pretty safe as it wll give the DPF time to burn off the soot, and if it doesn't do it completely it will probably keep it at bay until you do a good drive. It is more for people who don't get that regular run out, like me, I can go a couple of tanks without going over 40-50mph.

Out of curiosity, what mileage have you racked up in the 6 months?

Glyn Dog Sheep

Glyn, not high milage. Average 1000 miles per month so I'm on 6000 ish. I have to say. I love this car.
Post #171400 27th Sep 2012 9:28pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Do I need one?

The fitment of a particulate filter to diesel-engined cars is becoming increasingly commonplace in order to meet emissions legislation and to achieve cleaner exhaust gases. Nevertheless, driving constraints in such locations as inner-city and islands (e.g. Channel Islands, Isle of Man) are unlikely to facilitate passive regeneration. Please consider your driving style and normal driving conditions to determine whether a diesel- or petrol-engined car is best suited to meet your needs.

The above is from the Volvo site. Like with the tdci Land Rover had it forced on them. Did they not say they had it on test with farmers for some time and their were no issues with it? The tdci engine turned out to be a great fitment (less mpg than previous Land Rover engines accepted) so I dont think I'd have any issues buying a 2.2 Puma with a dpf if that was all there was available. I find it hard to believe that the 2.2 is quieter than my 2.4 which I think is incredibly refined.
I'd say if you had a clogged dpf I very much doubt if you could claim under warranty. All they have to say is that you did not follow the guidelines in the handbook - of which I am sure there are many.
I remember that the worries here used to be about the EGR valve. Four years on and I have no bother with mine. Probably be the same with the dpf.
If I had a 2.2 with a dpf I don't think I'd need much of an exscuse to take it out for a "dpf cleaning exercise" Mr. Green
Enjoy Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #171406 27th Sep 2012 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>