Home > Puma (Tdci) > Fuel filter change...can't start anymore
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Zouritte

France 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Fuel filter change...can't start anymore
Hi all,

I just changed my fuel filter on the td4, and forgot to refill the filter with Fuel before refitting it. Turned it on, and it ran for a minute or so and then shut down....(and understood my mistake!!!) so I tried to undo the filter and fill it up with fuel and out the ignition on and off, (heard a "vhhhhhhhhhhhh" from the engine bay) for a fee time, but the engine doesn't start... I really think that the problem comes from the fuel feed..
Any ideas on how to fix this up?

Thank

Tim
Post #322713 9th Apr 2014 6:27pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Yes, give me a few mins, I just typed a detailed reply and it didn't show up so this is a short test message 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #322723 9th Apr 2014 7:15pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi Zouritte,
The following worked on my 2.2, it is NOT the recommended method, which is to bleed the fuel pipe at the top of the engine using a special tool.
At the top of the filter housing, disconnect the fuel pipe return to the fuel tank, it has a blue push-in connection which lets you pull the pipe off.
Put a piece of hose on the now exposed pipe on top of the filter housing and aim it into a container to collect the returning fuel (or just have a mess on the floor).
Turn ignition on just enough to get the pump running, you will be able to hear it. This will push some fuel around the system but the pump only runs for a short while until switiching itself off.
Then switch off iginition switch and repeat process a few times until the returning fuel seems to be clear of air.
Reconnect the fuel tank return pipe to the top of the filter housing.
Cross your fingers and try starting the car.
Good luck.
Thumbs Up 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #322724 9th Apr 2014 7:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Unfortunately the above won't work on a 2.4 since the combined low/high pressure pump is a mechanical unit on the engine, and (unlike the Td5 and 2.2 TDCi) there's no pump in the tank.

You have two choices really. One is to use a bleeding tool, either the incredibly expensive proper one or a cheaper substitute, to bleed the system. The tool is a squeezy bulb you connect in the fuel line adjacent to the pump and squeeze repeatedly until bubble-free fuel emerges. Your other choice is to open the bleed valve on the fuel line adjacent to the inlet manifold and then pressurize the tank to force fuel through (or disconnect the quick connector where the priming tool is connected then pressurize the tank).

Probably the easiest way to pressurize the tank is to extend the breather pipe adjacent to the rear o/s wheel and either blow, or use an airline etc. I fitted a pipe with a Schrader valve when I had to do this so I could use a footpump. If you over-pressure the tank a relief valve in the filler cap will open.
Post #322732 9th Apr 2014 7:41pm
Skeggy 90

England 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 SW Bali Blue
The simplest way to bleed the system is to remove the fuel cap, get someone to hold a rag over the filler neck with an air line inside. The tank can be safely pressurised whilst cranking the engine over, it will still take a while to get the fuel up to the fuel rail before it starts. It is a terrible idea, god knows what you would do if you ran out of fuel in the middle of no where !!!!
Post #322748 9th Apr 2014 8:16pm
Zouritte

Thanks guys,
I've noticed that in the engine bay, coming from the filter there is a pipe going to the pump, on that pipe, there's a cap i can unscrew, i'll try to suck from here using an extension pipe, to have the fuel coming all the way till there. Otherwise i'll try blackwolf or Skeggy 90 's technique.

I'll keep you posted tomorrow.

Cheers

Tim
Post #322768 9th Apr 2014 9:39pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I just put some pressure in the tank with a hose/rag. Do not forget to open the bleed valve. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #322788 9th Apr 2014 10:32pm
110 John

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Its air locked it need to be bled through
Post #322842 10th Apr 2014 11:36am
Zouritte

hi,

Done worse today Sad as the previous owner when in the desert, there is tiny bits of sand everywhere on the truck, i tried to unclip those pipe around the filter and the sand was blocking the full retraction of one clip, so i broke one tits of the fuel filter lines.... So i decided to stop the mess, ordered a new filter "older" and the lines to be sure no sand has gone anywhere. I'll manufacture the feeding tool with the remaining lines and the manual pump (Sealey - Ebay).

Good lesson though.... alway refill this filter before firing up the engine....

Thanks for your help

Tim
Post #322893 10th Apr 2014 2:57pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
tread VERY carefully.

I did mine and it possibly contributed to the demise of my high pressure (common rail) fuel pump.

Drove me crazy since every other car I've ever done either has a manual pump on the filter to prime it, or has a lift pump which you can set going (some combination of peddle presses on a td5 i believe to set it priming)

spoke to the mechanic at the local LR dealer and he says its the worst fuel system design for this that he's ever seen. For use it on a lot of their cars apparently and it causes quite a lot of issues.

sure you'll sort it though, i had other problems with my fuel pump too (dirt in fuel from bad delivery) which i think meant that the pump couldn't get enough fuel and it eventually gave up. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #322895 10th Apr 2014 3:08pm
Richalot

United Kingdom 
I did mine a couple of months back but got a good tip off someone

With the IGN on push the Accelerator pedal 5 time it puts the pump into a perge mode and will not switch of any air in the system should get cleared, The closer you are to death the more alive you feel
Post #322901 10th Apr 2014 3:22pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
are you sure that works on tdci? i was told it was a td5 thing... Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #322903 10th Apr 2014 3:31pm
blackwolf

It's a Td5 thing. The 2.4 Puma doesn't have an electric pump.

The 2.2 Puma however has gone back to a pump in the tank, probably to avoid all these bleeding problems, but I don't know if the pedal trick works on this.

Be aware that on the 2.4 the volume control valve (VCV) in the pump is very easily damaged by water, dirt, or air in the fuel and will cause major drivability issues with no DTCs.
Post #322927 10th Apr 2014 5:09pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Fuel filter change...can't start anymore
Zouritte wrote:
Hi all,

I just changed my fuel filter on the td4, and forgot to refill the filter with Fuel before refitting it. Turned it on, and it ran for a minute or so and then shut down...

Sorry for the topic hijack... but Done the same last saturday! Sad
Ended up pushing the 110 down the street and it then turned on at the second try! Working fine these days!

However everyday in the morning, on first startup, imediately after turning it on it looks like it's going to turn off for half a second,

but then continues running! Then it works fine during the day....

Any ideas ? Is it from the fuel system? Or it's a coincidence? Do I have to bleed the system? Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #323014 10th Apr 2014 10:29pm
blackwolf

Check for DTCs, especially P268A and/or P268B. If present recalibrate the fuel pump.
Post #323017 10th Apr 2014 10:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>