↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > International HS 2.8 TGV Engine Or 300 tdi Stroke kit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
igor

Germany 
i own 3 defenders. a 2,4 tdci ,one 110 ht 300tdi and one 130 with 2,8tgv engine.the 2,8 engine pulls the best from low revs,better than the tuned 2,4 tdci with about 150 ps.i will buy a second one to repace the mild tuned tdi .
Post #262192 29th Aug 2013 3:46pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
my tgv is for sale if anyone is interested Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #577088 11th Nov 2016 11:57am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I seem to have a recollection the TGV was stopped towards the end of last year?

Cant remember why this is in my head, but it is Laughing.
Post #577121 11th Nov 2016 1:46pm
Repeat offender

Canada 1985 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Alaska White
Hi everyone I’m a newbie here so bare with me

I believe the question was have anyone done the 300 Tdi conversion to a 2.8 stroker and how well it worked .

I’m in the same boat I have all of the parts to build a brand new 300 Tdi

I have been collecting the brand new parts for over three years. All of the parts have come from M&D .

The only thing I’m reusing is the block .

I would like to install the 2.8 stroker kit. The international 2.8 even used is very expensive .

I’m still undecided on the stroker kit or just leaving the stock crank , rods and pistons in when I have my machines Tdi the engine work.

My plan is to use the P&P head from Turner . It’s abrand new head and they did all the work for my at their shop
The head bolts are being changed to ARP head studs. I have been able to set up program where they will supply me head bolts and studs.
I will also be using ARP main caps and the connecting rod bolts.
I have also obtained most of the fasteners for the rest of the engine .
My turbo has the 300 Tdi hot side and Ford Cosworth Serria cold Side giving me the ability it run more boost if needed .
I’m intercooler is also HUGE used on a Nissan GTR and it fits right in front witha few mods to the mounting brackets .
My truck will also be using a kit from Ashcroft that converts the truck back to 4/2 with a part time kit allowing free wheel hubs mounted on the front axle,.
I hope the LT77s holds up to the task. It has done well with the 2.5 TD that came in the truck from the factory.
I also have a GKN over drive I might use to give me a little more gearing .
I also have two salisbury axles for the front and rear hopefully the half shafts hold up.
My truck will also have a few more niceties added at a later .
I do realize I’ll be ordering kits front M&D in the future so I can mount the engine to the proper mounts with out cutting them off the chassis

Is you have read this far then I would like some feed back as well.

I hope some one can help with both questions above.

Thanks in advance

Repeat offender
Post #845828 25th Jul 2020 1:34am
jst

personally i would cut the 19J mounts off and weld on 300tdi ones for a compact nicer fit.

i would seriously consider an R380.

i am not convinced the LT77 is up to the torque figures for a powerstroked 300tdi, new, let along after any usage such as yours may of had.

i went auto with my two tgvs partly to avoid clutch issues, but also to overcome gbox limits. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #845844 25th Jul 2020 6:52am
Repeat offender

Thanks for the reply’s

The truck I’m building is going to be a daily driver and show truck so to speak .
I might take it on the trails but no heavy off roading that’s what. I have a D1 for lol.

I should add they are all V8 engines . No diesels were sold or imported into Canada when they were new . Now everyone imports 200/300 Tdi,s now.

I literally thrash the D1 when out on the trails. We have lots of them to use here is Canada and they go for cheap.

I have only seen very few manuals which I think were imported but I could be wrong.

I use it off roading because it’s a auto . My bad knees can’t handle the clutch and brake off roading and a auto is way easier to use off road.

I’m building a nice truck just to have as a play toy . My wife can’t drive a manual so I built the D1 for her to play and drive off road.

It’s taken me a cpl of years to collect the parts . I ordered genuine parts and they all come in a MWM box or package so they can be bought .

MWM still lists the 2.8 on their web site and I’ll try to get ahold of them this week.

I did notice they list a ford ranger that uses a 2.8 . It’s seems to be a pretty common engine .

If anyone has a parts catalogue of the ford truck that may help us all out in finding parts .

I can’t seem to find a part number for the injector nozzles/tips for their injectors.the injectors have a better spray pattern than 200/300 Tdi so I’m told .

I noticed Fourby sells injector with the injector tip installed BUT you have to send your injectors to them . They install the new nozzles and then send them back to you.

I asked of they would sell me the nozzles and they said no.

Hopefully someone has a part number or parts book they might be willing to share showing all of the part numbers and photos of the parts break down.

I have found a service manual but not a parts manual.

Thanks for all of your help

Repeat
Post #845952 25th Jul 2020 3:58pm
jst

injectors, one of my customers has a set, will see if i can get details. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #845956 25th Jul 2020 4:25pm
Repeat offender

Hi there thanks for looking and asking some people who might know .

On Allard sport they say they will modify your injector pump and injectors on their stage two kit.

If the injector is just tuned with a boost ring and fuel pin then it should be the same as me buying the parts my self and should end up with the same result.

From what I have read and watched on video the 2.8 spray pattern is different than the 200/300 Tdi,s ?

If the 2.8 was used in ford trucks over seas the parts should be able to be obtained (I hope) .

My injectors are brand new still in the Bosch box,s .

My injection pump was supposed to be brand new as well but when I took it out of the box the serial number and pump number plate were not there which tells me the pump has been rebuilt as new .

In Canada we have very few places to have the pumps worked on and if you find a place to work on it they charge you the same price and a new one out of the box it makes no sense lol

Thanks for all of your input
Post #845987 25th Jul 2020 6:13pm
jst

you can change the injector nozzle, ebay - Valtech Services - so i am told Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #845990 25th Jul 2020 6:15pm
Repeat offender

I must be tired or my eyes are becoming crossed looking at the screen lol

I gave them a gander and they do cleaning and they seems to only do gas engines .

I’ll give them a call tomorrow

Thanks
Post #846573 28th Jul 2020 1:10am
overlandbyrover

United States 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
I ran a 2.8 TGV engine for years and would never do it again. There is no substitute for an engine like the 300 TDI with well documented service manuals and parts availability. About half of the parts on a 2.8 engine are the same as a 300 TDI but with MWM part numbers and no cross over reference. And ordering parts for the engine, other then relying solely on M&D, you'll need to speak Portuguese.

I was not impressed with the performance significance gained, and the best mpg I ever got from it was 18mpg, which compared to 25-27 mpg normally observed and reported on by 300 TDI Defender owners, was not a trade off I would have made if well understood.

Further, the increased reliability claims of the 2.8 did not prove to be true in my case. I had many issues with my engine, well beyond any 300 TDI owner reported experience. One example is that there is no heat shielding on the starter motor, and while driving cross country in the US, I ended up having the starter solenoid split in half from the heat.

The only nice thing about the 2.8 TGV was the embedded oil cooler. the worst thing about the 2.8 TGV was that the turbo's were more then twice the expense of the 300 TDI standard turbo.

I think of the original OP question, I would go with a 300 TDI converted to 2.8 over a 2.8 every day of the week. then you get a 300 TDI spec engine and ancillaries, with only difference being the block internals. I don't know anything about the stroke kit reliability long term though.

Last edited by overlandbyrover on 11th Jul 2021 9:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #911962 11th Jul 2021 8:41pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
You get the 2.8 in the Ford ranger from Brazil.
Post #911966 11th Jul 2021 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12