↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Stolen Black 110 Utilty, Greasby, Wirral Aug 2013
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pjb

Would be interested to know what it is as just getting a new puma & might do some modifications to stop this happening to me Big Cry 2020 P300 HSE
Post #262029 28th Aug 2013 10:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
I pick my new puma up in 10 days.

As a minimum on the first day it'll be getting fitted with:

- X-Eng Barrell Lock
- Shire Fabrications Pedal Lock (that I've modified)
- Steering Wheel Lock (Full Face)
- ODBII port locked and moved

Probably over kill but I'd say the last is a must on any Puma defender.
Post #262046 28th Aug 2013 11:26pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Sockpuppet wrote:

Looks like the mounting bracket for the BBU and part of a power cable? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately the standard security isn't worth much (sad I know).

Have a read of this, http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/land-rover/defender/

If they drove it off it's likley they used something similar.

In this pictures, the small black clips hold the wheel arch spats on. The connector looks like it may be a side repeater bulb holder thingy? If so, that would tie in the the clips Confused An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #262072 29th Aug 2013 7:11am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
There are two fairly quick ways to get to horn and BBU. Through wheel arch or through lights surround. So security screws on indicators and side lights won't help.

Best thing to do is relocate horn and BBU to another location that is not easily accessible.

As said above work out a way to disable OBDII port and think of adding extra security products like those from X-Eng etc.

Personally I still like the four way mechlok that mud stuff supply/supplied that can be fitted to brake and clutch hydraulic lines. No good if they have a low loader, but good if they don't.

Cheers

Steve
Post #262129 29th Aug 2013 11:55am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Sockpuppet wrote:
I pick my new puma up in 10 days.

As a minimum on the first day it'll be getting fitted with:

- X-Eng Barrell Lock
- Shire Fabrications Pedal Lock (that I've modified)
- Steering Wheel Lock (Full Face)
- ODBII port locked and moved

Probably over kill but I'd say the last is a must on any Puma defender.

Rather than disable the OBD11 port why not relocate it to somewhere more secure, but leave a dummy one in it's place. Then hardwire into the dummy OBD a Lightforce Ballast and Igniter from their HID range. The moment they plug their laptop in it will ignite 25,000 volts through their electric circuit and blow their computer to smithereens!!!

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I am waiting...... Thumbs Up Whistle Whistle Whistle
Post #262131 29th Aug 2013 12:10pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
In relation to the parking of the car, what side / area did you find the parts on the drive, front, rear, passenger side, drivers side etc? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #262149 29th Aug 2013 1:17pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Any 'standard' security item on any vehicle is likely to be less than perfect as their is plenty of info available on the net as to it's position and function.

As has been posted on here and elsewhere many times the best defense is 'layers' to slow the thief down so that they either give up or are detected.

I recommend (and regularly install) the following:

Move standard alarm sounder
X-Eng column lock
Skytag GPS tracker
Ball bearings in heads of door bolts
Relocate ODBII port
Additional earth cable internal to battery box
Security screws on all light lenses (especially if LED - our SVX kit is supplied with security fixings as standard)
Rivet on number plates

Moving on to:

Additional / replacement alarm system using door switches in different locations to standard

It's also worth getting into the habit of 'applying' the standard steering lock especially if fitted with the X-eng product

I sincerely hope you get it back or at least get a decent pay out on the insurance
Post #262161 29th Aug 2013 2:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
smb wrote:
Rather than disable the OBD11 port why not relocate it to somewhere more secure, but leave a dummy one in it's place. Then hardwire into the dummy OBD a Lightforce Ballast and Igniter from their HID range. The moment they plug their laptop in it will ignite 25,000 volts through their electric circuit and blow their computer to smithereens!!!

More than likley it would just break the ODBII plug they were using. More likley would be I'd forget to tell the dealer and they'd be looking at me for a new computer for the workshop when I picked the car up.
Post #262164 29th Aug 2013 2:39pm
Heavysalad

United Kingdom 
Had my defender 110 stolen of my drive way in Wallasey Afew weeks ago. I have found similar thing where the car was. I even think I have a rough idea where the culprit is stationed. I was so gutted Sad
I clicked on that link and its an eye opener.... Does anyone think Land Rover are actually aware of these devices that the thieves are using to drive the defenders off people driveways!
Post #292751 23rd Dec 2013 5:47pm
munch90

England 
Sockpuppet wrote:

Looks like the mounting bracket for the BBU and part of a power cable? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately the standard security isn't worth much (sad I know).

Have a read of this, http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/land-rover/defender/

If they drove it off it's likley they used something similar.

isn't that bracket from the non bbus sounder and the wiring socket looks like one on to standard alarm horn type .. did it have a bbus fitted?
Post #292762 23rd Dec 2013 6:45pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
smb wrote:

I read your post with great interest with the thread resurrection as I must have missed it the first time. Whilst it may be exciting at the prospect of zapping someone's equipment with 25,000 volts a simple 12 volt feed to sockets 6 & 14 with an earth on 4 and/or 5 on the dummy socket would achieve exactly the same function without the need to overcomplicate the issue or leave yourself open to recriminations in the event of injury to a toe rag in the course of him having it away with your pride and joy!!!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #292904 24th Dec 2013 9:59am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
OR just cut off the OBD socket, and solder on *another* generic socket (the Durite econoseal are ideal), then solder on the corresponding plug onto the back of the OBD socket, then keep this patch lead well away from your vehicle until you actually need to plug something into the ECU.

That way nomatter what laptops they bring, they won't be able to plug into it.
Post #292962 24th Dec 2013 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12