↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Utility Wagon Insurance Pt2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Utility Wagon Insurance Pt2
After spending what seemed like forever on the phone and internet, the only company that recognised the 2.2 USW was Land Rovers tame insurance company!

Every other company either couldn't find it at all, or could only find the 2.4 version... A-plan told me they couldn't quote as if the description wasn't 100% correct, the insurance wouldn't be valid. Another one of their branches was happy to try and put it through as a generic 'Land Rover 110 XS' though!! NFU were happy to insure it as a 2.4 with a note on file saying it was a 2.2!

No idea how everyone else manages to get different quotes!!
Post #254272 28th Jul 2013 11:52pm
Staftly

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi there
Had same problem myself with my 2.2 12 plate utility XS. I eventually went with supposedly Land Rovers own insurance but it turns out they are some other company in disguise. Despite total clean license, full no claims, safe post code, tracker, you name it i ended up paying nearly 500 quid. 1 year later, same circumstances, increased by something like 15 %. Btw, I was very disappointed with the so called understanding companies like Adrian Flux etc etc, quotes from these people were plain silly money. The only complication is that the defender was bought through my company, despite my name being on the log book, I thought it best to explain this to these insurance companies although I thought this was a very typical scenario. Some companies didn't like the idea that some other "body" paid for the vehicle, despite my company being effectively a single man band. Anyway, good news. Called aviva when renewed in July. 241 quid, fully comp etc, less excesses etc. Called them to clarify the points above, yes 2.2, company paid, no problem they said. Btw, I didn't get any discount for a tracker if you are wondering. They seemed like a professional outfit, pleasant, intelligent staff, no far away call centres. Give them a go. I did set up the policy using my reg number, albeit a cherished number, all the details were correct. Most of the other companies either didn't know what a utility XS was, didn't list a 2.2 or couldn't find my car unless I quoted the original reg number, most of them some combination of all three! No such problems with Aviva, all details correct and up to date. Good luck.
Post #262047 28th Aug 2013 11:29pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Staftly wrote:
Called aviva ...........They seemed like a professional outfit,

So they should be they've been in the insurance game longer than most...... Thumbs Up

Norwich Union Insurance company has been operating in the United Kingdom since 1797 changed their name in 2009 to Aviva. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #262060 29th Aug 2013 12:36am
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I went with the 'official' Land Rover insurance in the end for simplicity.... It didn't help as the reg number wasn't in the database yet, so couldn't use the for quotes...
Post #262082 29th Aug 2013 7:53am
Cuthbert

K9F wrote:
Staftly wrote:
Called aviva ...........They seemed like a professional outfit,

So they should be they've been in the insurance game longer than most...... Thumbs Up

Norwich Union Insurance company has been operating in the United Kingdom since 1797 changed their name in 2009 to Aviva.

They may have been operating in the UK since 1797 - but they have been really struggling to embrace the internet (MyPolicy - a disaster) and as for customer service just be aware that the person answering their phones might be in India - fine if you speak fluent Urdu -totally useless if you are trying to discuss the technicalities of your vehicle in English. Then if you need to phone them to notify a minor change or update - another costly wheeze using high charge phone numbers.

The Aviva marketing team seem more interested in sponsoring corporate hospitality tents at British athletics events than making their motor insurance policies easy to buy.
Post #281022 10th Nov 2013 7:36pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've been with Aviva/Norwich Union for the past 17 years for car and house insurance. I've never spoken to anyone in India. In fact the furthest was Scotland. No complaints here, although they always seem interested in the 2 cars we have on our multi-car policy, a white MX5 and a Black 90 XS Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #281112 10th Nov 2013 10:29pm
Cuthbert

If you phone Aviva and get to speak to someone in Scotland - think you will find that you are being routed to the Bishopbriggs contact centre. If you had phoned at a different time of the day (or during a busy period) then you may find that you are routed straight through to India - shouldn't in theory be a problem if the training and language skills are in place. I've just found Aviva frustrating to deal with and as for MyPolicy - it just doesn't seem to be able to cope with multiple policies on line - and I ain't phoning them on a premium rate phone number to do their 'joined-up thinking' for them.
Post #281444 11th Nov 2013 11:36pm
otter-spotter

Scotland 
2012 110 USW Registered to a company

NFU renewal = £ 669.57

LV policy = £242

Aviva policy = £228

Admitedly, not one of them had the USW down as an option, but managed to agree on a model after speaking to them. I would have liked to have given the NFU the renewal, but not at that price... 300 TDi 110 CSW
Post #286258 29th Nov 2013 2:12pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Otter-spotter,

Just make sure that they are insuring it as a 'Commercial vehicle', not as a normal pre-2011 (think that is when they changed) 110 station wagon which is classified as a 'car'.

Reason I say this is because when looking I put 2009 SW and DC into different searches and found that on average the SW was between 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price of the DC.

Make sure you have 'VAN' insurance or they put on the certificate that they are happy that the vehicle is a 'N' classification.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #286270 29th Nov 2013 4:06pm
otter-spotter

Scotland 
Hi Glynparry25,

Thanks for the heads up... I double checked

Based on my registration it came up as Defender 110 pick up, body type has been classified as "Van" with 5 seats. I was pretty paranoid about not having the exact match so I 'phoned them. I think the insurance is OK as I have it, but I feel happier that it actually says "Van". Also, it is noted that it's a company owned vehicle. 300 TDi 110 CSW
Post #286274 29th Nov 2013 4:42pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Thumbs Up Awesome........ and that is a VERY good price you got there- unfortunatly for me I am going to struggle getting insurance this year (No no-claims due to living out of UK for the past 6 years).

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #286327 29th Nov 2013 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1