Home > Technical > Galvanising bulkheads - distortion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Galvanising bulkheads - distortion
Evening,

Has anyone experienced galvanising a bulkhead?

I'm planning a 110 project at the moment and want a galvinised bulkhead but worried about distortion from the process!

Any thoughts or experiences to share???

Thanks

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #254030 27th Jul 2013 10:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: Galvanising bulkheads - distortion
Andy80 wrote:
Evening,

Has anyone experienced galvanising a bulkhead?

I'm planning a 110 project at the moment and want a galvinised bulkhead but worried about distortion from the process!

Any thoughts or experiences to share???

Thanks

Andy

Good question was wondering the same thing yesterday Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #254033 27th Jul 2013 10:16pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Here is one I did earlier....

Click image to enlarge

Had it bead blasted which showed up all the thin metal and removed rust. Then replaced any suspect areas with new steel, 2 new footwells welded in. As much seam sealant removed with a point as possible. Then added the 3mm walled box across the outrigger mounts to stiffen the whole thing. Finally added the gate hinges to the windscreen fixing holes in order to give the works a good hanging point. Rightly or wrongly I thought it would be better lowered into the galving tank vertically rather than laying flat as the structure would heat gradually from bottom to top rather than all at once. In any case I had zero distortion and the whole thing, once everything was fitted back on to it bolted onto the new chassis without levers or hammers
Post #254042 27th Jul 2013 11:07pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
I've got one on my 90, came from Ashtree Thumbs Up
http://www.ashtreelandrover.com/ An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #254056 28th Jul 2013 8:29am
Litch

England 
Had mine done a couple of months ago and no problems at all with the process.

Bulkhead was in practically perfect condition to start with so no worries of internal corrosion (I had thoroughly Waxoyled it 12-years previously and then looked after it, also I have no carpets, mats or sound deadening so nothing to retain moisture).
Bolted a length of box-section between chassis mounting points.
Ground away the welds fixing vent-flap mesh into position enabling mesh to be removed.
Drilled several additional holes into box-sections (not visible when assembled) so whichever way it was dipped there would be somewhere for gasses to escape.
Took lots of photos and made detailed drawings / measurements of all holes before dipping so I could accuratly identify where even the smallest of screw-holes had been filled with zinc.

On return from the galvanisers decided to trim the nylon inserts where necessary rather than filing the holes thus avoiding the risk of exposing bare metal (obvioulsy excess was knocked off but I didn't enlarge any holes). All threads were re-tapped. Worst part was cleaning excess zinc out of sleeves for vent-flap pins, found a Dremel worked best and having established this it took only a matter of minutes.
Vent-flap mesh has been bonded into position.
I plugged all the holes, turned it upside down and filled it full of Waxoyl (just like last time), in the recent heat-wave has it been dripping out as expected having coated every internal surface on the way. Front & underside of footwells have been undersealed and Gwyn Lewis mud-shields fitted.
It hasn't been painted as I prefer the galv look and it matches the capping etc. By the time all the panels are in place there isn't actually much on show. Flat surfaces around the footwells have rippled slightly (as expected) but there was no distortion and it fitted back into place without any problems. No sealant necessary along seams etc as the zinc has filled everything.

Best bit. Cost £144 inc VAT for collection & delivery (50-miles from galvanisers), preparation and then galvanising. This wasn't just the bulkhead either, I also had the battery-box done, rock-sliders, sills and 20 assorted parts & brackets (seat-belt mountings, steering column brackets, fuel-tank mounting, tunnel adaptor etc).

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #254211 28th Jul 2013 9:14pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Thanks litch , the tips and advice will be useful indeed Smile Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #254261 28th Jul 2013 11:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1