↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Windscreen rubber replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bev

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Windscreen rubber replacement
Having decided that the windscreen rubber was cracked and generally looking very sorry for itself in places, I have ordered a replacement one.

Having seen one on Simons website @MPS trading I ordered one yesterday afternoon and it promptly arrived first thing this morning, not bad considering there is about 500 miles between us so thanks chap for the service Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Question is do I have a go at replacing this myself or just pay the professionals to do it for me?? The windscreen I have is heated so don't want to be paying for a costly error. Quite like the idea and personal achievement of completing the task myself however will be pretty annoyed if it goes wrong...

In the famous last words " what could possibly go wrong " in attempting this for myself?

Cheers
Christian
Post #250232 9th Jul 2013 4:59pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
It is do-able for a competent DIY-er (although I haven't done it myself!). Basic method is to feed a piece of cord/string inside the rubber, fit the screen with rubber attached into the frame, then pull away the string so that it pulls the rubber outwards, so as to fit nicely around the frame! Hope that make some sort of sense? An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #250235 9th Jul 2013 5:19pm
jimbob7

Putting the issue of heated windscreen to one side,it's an easy job fitting a windscreen.

1.Fit the new seal to the screen usin a bit of washin up liquid for lube if needed.
2.Run plenty more soap around the seal where it meets the window frame and insert a strong cord into the grove,again lube the cord with PLENTY of soap, I used to use one of the cores from 3 core domestic.
4.Place screen against frame with the cord/wire inside the vehicle,you or someone start pulling the chord slowly from the inside at the same time a second person start pushing/hitting seal (from outside the vehicle) to help locate the seal to frame,it will be immediately obvious from inside the vehicle as to whether the seal is fitted,or not.
Never fitted a heated screen don't know how delicate the eleky bits are.

Tips;
Use plenty of soap.
Peel back the seal inside the vehicle and look how the rubber seal is fitted to the frame before removal.
Use plenty of soap.
Don't drop the glass.
Post #250258 9th Jul 2013 6:18pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
Re: Windscreen rubber replacement
90 Bev wrote:
Having decided that the windscreen rubber was cracked and generally looking very sorry for itself in places, I have ordered a replacement one.

Having seen one on Simons website @MPS trading I ordered one yesterday afternoon and it promptly arrived first thing this morning, not bad considering there is about 500 miles between us so thanks chap for the service Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Question is do I have a go at replacing this myself or just pay the professionals to do it for me?? The windscreen I have is heated so don't want to be paying for a costly error. Quite like the idea and personal achievement of completing the task myself however will be pretty annoyed if it goes wrong...

In the famous last words " what could possibly go wrong " in attempting this for myself?

Cheers
Christian

Christian

I got local windscreen company to fit mine as I was sure I would break the screen putting it back in. Laughing
Post #250265 9th Jul 2013 6:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You're more likely to break the glass getting it out, and if there are any chips or cracks it is more likely than not it'll break. My recommendation is to get a good independent windscreen fitter to do it.
Post #250267 9th Jul 2013 6:41pm
Bev

The screen itself is I good condition however given the feedback here I'm going to bottle it and get a professional to do it. The though of paying for a new heated windscreen is putting me off Crying or Very sad

Thanks for the advice from all though Thumbs Up 50% for and 50% against....... That's bad enough odds for me. Sod's law says ill break the screen somehow...
Post #250278 9th Jul 2013 7:04pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Had a heated fitted to the project 90 on Monday with a new rubber according to the fitter new rubbers are Censored to fit a new screen with old rubber is easy

However it's safe practice to always use a new rubber Whistle
Post #250279 9th Jul 2013 7:08pm
Bev

ken wrote:

However it's safe practice to always use a new rubber Whistle

Sound advice indeed Snigger
Post #250282 9th Jul 2013 7:17pm
DOOFER

me and the wife fitted one on sunday. we had a couple of false starts but it went ok in the end. i must say, i used to fit volvo truck windscreens and this seemed a lot harder. but i was re using the old rubber back then
Post #250291 9th Jul 2013 8:00pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I paid Autoglass to do mine.
As stated, its the new rubber thats the problem....the guy fitting mine had a real struggle..

Also i had to sign a disclaimer to say i accepted responsibilty if the windscreen broke!!!!

The older the screen the more "brittle" they become.

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #250299 9th Jul 2013 8:18pm
Bearders

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I had the same decision a couple of weeks ago - my rubber seal was also very badly cracked.

Bought a new genuine heated screen and rubber (WLR on ebay had a load of screens at £119) but got a local windscreen firm to fit.
Glad I did as they had a bit of a game, I ended up not watching - sure they were going to break the screen.
Fitting cost me £35 and they disposed of the old screen, took less then an hour in all.

As an aside, the old one had a large chip at even with them cutting all way round it cracked as they tried to remove it.
Post #250300 9th Jul 2013 8:19pm
DOOFER

my old screen cracked........when i leaned back and kicked it out with both feet lol
Post #250321 9th Jul 2013 9:19pm
jimbob7

daddy2coull wrote:
my old screen cracked........when i leaned back and kicked it out with both feet lol

Thats wot we used to do,2 of us pushin em out wi our feet,no cracks tho Thumbs Up
Post #250330 9th Jul 2013 9:38pm
Bev

There's no way I'm doing this now .....

Going to get one of the local companies to do it for me...... Kicking the screen out seems like fun though Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #250336 9th Jul 2013 9:56pm
Bev

Just picked the car up from Strathearn Engineering who fitted the new windscreen rubber seal for me. Three man job to get the new seal in so glad I never tried it myself.

I would be paying for a new windscreen just about now.

Top job as ever guys so thanks Thumbs Up
Post #255716 2nd Aug 2013 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>