↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SNORKEL ! Mantec or Land Rover ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Grockle wrote:
don't forget a RAI isn't water tight like a snorkle Thumbs Up

Surely Grockle this depends on how well you decide to seal it when fitting? Anything can be made watertight with enough thought, sealant and patience?

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #32989 26th May 2010 10:37am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
K9F wrote:
Grockle wrote:
don't forget a RAI isn't water tight like a snorkle Thumbs Up

Surely Grockle this depends on how well you decide to seal it when fitting? Anything can be made watertight with enough thought, sealant and patience?

Dog Thumbs Up Dog

that would be a first on a Defender Laughing 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #32992 26th May 2010 10:45am
K9F

Grockle wrote:
that would be a first on a Defender Laughing

Bow down Good point! Never a truer word! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #32993 26th May 2010 10:55am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
My understanding is that the Safari unit replaces the air hoses and ducting on the inside of the wing before the filter.

That's supposed to make it much more waterproof than the mantec one, which just bolts on the outside of the wing - leaving the somewhat porous Land Rover plumbing on the inside.

Is that the case with yours?

Also: did you secure it to the A-pillar? If so, did it come with the same self-tappers that mantec use? Mine have already vibrated loose twice. Beware. Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #33087 27th May 2010 1:24pm
K9F

alantd wrote:
My understanding is that the Safari unit replaces the air hoses and ducting on the inside of the wing before the filter.

Maybe so in the past, but not with the Puma according to the kit and instructions I got. It gives the fitter the 'option' of dismounting the airfilter box and sealing the water drain at the base. Other than that the original pipework is used and the unions simply sealed to prevent water ingress.

alantd wrote:
Also: did you secure it to the A-pillar? If so, did it come with the same self-tappers that mantec use? Mine have already vibrated loose twice. Beware. Thumbs Up

Not sure if they're the same ones Mantec use, i'll have a look at Fekete's tomorrow and compare Embarassed In my experience suppliers of 'extras' always let themselves down with quality of fixings and fasteners. My A-Bar was the same. The A-pillar screws will be replaced with stainless ones as soon as I get home and fit them. Thanks for the 'heads up!' If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33092 27th May 2010 1:36pm
alantd

K9F wrote:

Maybe so in the past, but not with the Puma according to the kit and instructions I got. It gives the fitter the 'option' of dismounting the airfilter box and sealing the water drain at the base. Other than that the original pipework is used and the unions simply sealed to prevent water ingress.

That sounds about right. I was thinking of getting some of that stretchy silicone tape to wrap round the joints of the pipework and blocking off the drain in the filter.

I recall AndrewS had to do some modification to the inside 'receiving box' (the bit immediately inside the wing that the RAI bolts on to) to make it fit better and seal properly. I'm going to look at mine when I get a spare afternoon. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #33096 27th May 2010 1:44pm
K9F

alantd,

The instructions to the Safari Snorkel state to dismount the 'receiving' box you mentioned push it back, apply sealant to the mounting face and then resecure.
I used some of Anglian's finest exterior clear double glazing sealant left over from my conservatory fit....It is anti-fungal, 100% waterproof, guaranteed for 10 years and sticks like Censored to a blanket.

Dog Thumbs Up Dog

Nothing gets wasted in my household! Laughing

Here is the link to the on-line fitting instructions:

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/guides/LAND%2..._guide.htm If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33103 27th May 2010 1:58pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
alantd wrote:
Also: did you secure it to the A-pillar? If so, did it come with the same self-tappers that mantec use? Mine have already vibrated loose twice. Beware. Thumbs Up

I completely agree - I was washing my car on the weekend and noticed that two of my bolts had become loose and a third has fallen out. I'll be off to the fixings shop too Smile Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #33119 27th May 2010 6:25pm
K9F

Debate Finally Laid To Rest????
Well Fekete's visiting my 'gaff' this weekend and there has been much debate and leg pulling for he has a Frank Sinatra trilby hat Mantec jobby and I have the much superior Nelly The Elephant appendage that is Safari.

Direct comparison.....

Click image to enlarge

This is the Mantec, whilst is is pleasing to the eye I don't think it sits as nicely on the wing as the Safari one, it is also slightly smaller in girth....

This is the Safari which sits on the wing, if you wish to seal the entire base unit as I did it is easier than the Mantec in my opinion! Karl did say himself "I wish I got a Safari!" Also the Mantec is suffering a little from dissimilar metal corrosion on the trilby hat from the fasteners that retain the steel trim on the underside. He needs to buy some steel ones and replace.

You make your own minds up! I have already replaced the pillar screws for stainless as they were substandard inferior material.

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33247 30th May 2010 8:24am
alantd

That's some pretty nice sealing! Thumbs Up

I agree the safari one looks pretty strong. I've not had any issues with my mantec trilby yet (apart from the stupid screws coming loose) and I get a nice resonance growl around 2k rpm.

AndrewS sealed the receiving duct on the inside of the wing but I've not braved that yet. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #33249 30th May 2010 8:36am
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Thats really looks very neat, I'm sure thats sealed pretty tight. How much was the Safari snorkel? Thumbs Up '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #33250 30th May 2010 8:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

Gotta be said avoid Devon 4X4 they are significantly more expensive than Simmonites or Paddocks to the tune of about £50.

Don't pay any more than £190 inclusive of VAT from anyone! Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33257 30th May 2010 9:00am
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks K9F, its peanuts compared to the land rover RAI. Devon deliveries are spot on don't know about the rest. '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #33260 30th May 2010 9:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I have a safari snorkel - far better than the mantec.

You have to take your view on sealing - i did my best and sealed everywhere i could, although i did run into some problems that im still not sure are either my fitting or the defenders alignment - eitherway sealing them with good quality sealant is the way forward.

I dont take the view that because i have a snorkel its now waterproof - there is more in the engine to worry about. My view is the snorkel is additional safety.

I should add - when i placed the screws in despite painting first, i also added a blob of sealant to each screw Mike
Post #33283 30th May 2010 5:07pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Just looked - safari have changed the design Big Cry Big Cry 4 bolts each side of the snorkel base around the intake - tightened from the outside - i like

It would have solved my problem (of the wing not being straight on the front) and looks better:

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss581hf/ss581hf.htm if your interested Mike
Post #33286 30th May 2010 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>