↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Range Rover Entertainment Centre
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wholejobs

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Range Rover Entertainment Centre
Never really thought too much about changing the LR stereo in the Xtech as it seemed to do a basic job I required.
Been driving a RR Sport for a few days and impressed with the system installed in them. Probably a case of not knowing what you're missing until you try it! Mr. Green

Does anyone know if the RR unit is available as an aftermarket purchase and whether it would fit in the truck? No doubt a pricey option so any alternatives?
THis unit had DAB, SAt Nav, bluetooth, CD/DVD and TV!! TV is probably an unneccessary extra but sure is a good piece of kit.

Cheers

Chris Chris B
2012 USW X Tech
Post #239140 28th May 2013 9:42am
custom90

United Kingdom 
You wouldn't be able to have the two screens in the Defender if that is what you mean? Due to the layout. The features it has though is possible. If you go double DIN you can have all of that including DAB or if you go single DIN you can have it all except the DAB. I know I don't know why they don't start making the single DIN units with DAB built in. Banging Head
If you want similar go aftermarket don't try and go for the same kit as it is likely Eqoque specific and you'd probably pay twice as much to cap it off. (And it won't fit)
Also with the 2DIN option you'd need a new dash.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239158 28th May 2013 10:35am
wholejobs

Cheers.
The RR unit is a single screen albeit a double din effort. Appreciate it wouldn't fit without major mods but would be nice to have something installed that looks like it belongs if you get my drift.
Will have to look at DD as like the screen size for the SAt Nav which makes it all a bit clearer.

Any suggestions on a suitable unit that anyone has tried and used? Price point not a major issue as prefer to pay upfront for a decent unit that does all I want rather than a cheap unit that might not last! Chris B
2012 USW X Tech
Post #239190 28th May 2013 12:22pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Has the RR got the Harman Kardon system in it? An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #239192 28th May 2013 12:23pm
wholejobs

GUM97 wrote:
Has the RR got the Harman Kardon system in it?

Yep pretty sure thats the one. Chris B
2012 USW X Tech
Post #239193 28th May 2013 12:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I apologise I just realise your talking about a RR not an Evoque. Embarassed Sorry. Embarassed I can advise on a double DIN HU but I have not actually tried any so can only advise on what I actually have myself although a different model the features will be more or less the same. I reckon if you don't mind the costs and you want everything in one unit then double DIN is the way to go.
Have a look at these:
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/shop-online.aspx/multimedia
Bear in mind prices are for everything in one. Also some of them are used by the Colt Car Company (Mitsubishi) so the TOTR Shogun has these built in among some other models. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239208 28th May 2013 12:43pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
custom90steve wrote:
... if you go single DIN you can have it all except the DAB. I know I don't know why they don't start making the single DIN units with DAB built in. Banging Head

Thumbs Up

Just been looking for a single DIN with everything - as you say, it doesn't seem to exist!
Post #239219 28th May 2013 1:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just seem to discontinue them instead. Rolling Eyes Really stupid IMO the Defender at first was only capable of accepting 1 DIN until the 2 DIN dashes arrived. We're now lucky enough to have the option of both but in some cars there is no option but 1 DIN or not at all...
So what are they trying to say.....
They have to have HU's with a 2" faceplate screen as the KIV or forget a screen all together. Thud Banging Head Thud Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239249 28th May 2013 3:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would still go for the KVT526 if it was me though. Everything is capable on there except one thing. DAB. Neutral Doesn't worry me as I don't use it anyway but none the less.. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239250 28th May 2013 3:25pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Are you referring to the Range Rover L322, Range Rover Sport or something else?

In the Full Fat Range Rover L322 model (New shape is the L405), the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system is brilliant. However it is designed to fit into the car and the dash. Most of the control systems are in the boot, and it's operated via the touch screen (in 2006MY) and then was upgraded in the 2010MY cars. This is different to the first model RRS, which uses the D3 green screen (rubbish IMHO)

If you are interested I can post the pages from the Rave manual to show the components. I doubt you'd make it fit. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #239254 28th May 2013 3:41pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
custom90steve wrote:
I would still go for the KVT526 if it was me though. Everything is capable on there except one thing. DAB. Neutral Doesn't worry me as I don't use it anyway but none the less..

One of my current options is the KVT526 + Bluetooth + Nav + Camera. Shame about the DAB though... The other choices are DNX7230 in double DIN adapter (but only if the switches can be moved with no cutting!) or a Garmin Dezl 760 with a camera input... All have pros/cons, so can't make up my mind!
Post #239256 28th May 2013 3:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
RRUK wrote:
Most of the control systems are in the boot, and it's operated via the touch screen (in 2006MY) and then was upgraded in the 2010MY cars.

Like mine then although on the bulkhead instead. Thumbs Up I would imagine they have a Sat Nav unit for taking the mapping discs too there? (Only around 160 usually a year per update disc) Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239258 28th May 2013 3:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Nick-St wrote:

One of my current options is the KVT526 + Bluetooth + Nav + Camera. Shame about the DAB though... The other choices are DNX7230 in double DIN adapter (but only if the switches can be moved with no cutting!) or a Garmin Dezl 760 with a camera input... All have pros/cons, so can't make up my mind!

Go for the 526. Wink Whistle I didn't go for the Navi myself though as the costs were so high but it is using Garmin software for the Nav and Parrot for the BT. Can't get much better than that! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #239259 28th May 2013 3:48pm
wholejobs

RRUK wrote:
Are you referring to the Range Rover L322, Range Rover Sport or something else?

In the Full Fat Range Rover L322 model (New shape is the L405), the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system is brilliant. However it is designed to fit into the car and the dash. Most of the control systems are in the boot, and it's operated via the touch screen (in 2006MY) and then was upgraded in the 2010MY cars. This is different to the first model RRS, which uses the D3 green screen (rubbish IMHO)

If you are interested I can post the pages from the Rave manual to show the components. I doubt you'd make it fit.

Its a 2012 RR Sport Autobiography with the Logic 7 system. Its a great system as you say and yes it's dash mounted with seperate CD mounted below.
Didn't realistically expect to be able to fit this in the Defender without major mods but something with similar functionality would be great.
Like the idea posted elsewhere of the modified dash to suit a double din. Not sure how much difference it would make but just looks more like its meant to be.
Im a fan of DAB due to the number of stations you can't get on FM/AM such as 5livesportsXtra etc. Thats more imporatant than Ipod / CD etc.
Reversing camera is a useful addition as well. My lad inisist it must have a TV receiver as well but don;t see much use myself! Chris B
2012 USW X Tech
Post #239260 28th May 2013 3:53pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:
RRUK wrote:
Most of the control systems are in the boot, and it's operated via the touch screen (in 2006MY) and then was upgraded in the 2010MY cars.

Like mine then although on the bulkhead instead. Thumbs Up I would imagine they have a Sat Nav unit for taking the mapping discs too there? (Only around 160 usually a year per update disc)

They did up to the 2010MY cars (09 plate onwards) as they had the HDD version. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #239261 28th May 2013 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>