↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > PRE-WARRANTY EXPIRY CHECK BY DEALER - ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
PRE-WARRANTY EXPIRY CHECK BY DEALER - ??
Hi All,

I can't believe its nearly three years already, but next month the warranty period expires on my 110CSW. I have a small list( Whistle ) of what needs doing, but on booking it in to a dealer they have asked whether I want them to do a "Pre-Expiry" check for Warranty work. I have been told there is a charge for this that is a couple of hundred squids.

Has anyone had any experience on this from their dealers? Is it worth putting the trust in a dealer(considering all the negative comments on them in general)?

Does anyone or has anyone come up with a "Definitive" list on what to check for before taking to a dealer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bow down

Thanks

Steve [/b]
Post #235754 15th May 2013 3:00pm
david110

Scotland 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Hello SMB,

Last time my 110 got it's second service the Dealer said to me,"your warranty will be up soon and I have a list of things we would like to put right" and it was a bigger list than I had, NO CHARGE for this just to book it in nearer the time and all work will be done FOC. Things on the list were front bumper and mounts, mud flaps, side steps, headlight rigs, pop-rivets replaced due to corrosion, door hinge bolts due to corrosion, etc etc the service manager spotted things I hadn't.

I wouldn't be paying your dealer for that its all in on the warranty....

My local dealer is Taggarts Glasgow and the best by far and I didn't even buy the car from them.... and yet the service is outstanding and I will buy my next Defender from them.

Cheers
David
Post #235766 15th May 2013 3:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Also worth getting the MOT done a couple of weeks early. I'm quite friendly with my MOT man - last time I asked him to be extra-diligent, (on my XC70) and point-out anything "marginal" to me so I could raise it the last service. He found nothing but I felt it was worth asking Whistle

On my Disco2, the MOT tester found worn bushings in the rear shocks when the car was 2 years 11 months and 2 weeks old - I got thet work done under Warranty... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #235768 15th May 2013 3:44pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
WHAT !!!!!!!

So you brought it from them and had it serviced by them. I thought the idea of sponsoring / using your main dealer was to ensure warranty remains intact. I'd be speaking to the general manager, For Gods Sake they will be charging you 'salesman time' to sell you another let alone the admin fee for making a booking.
Post #235780 15th May 2013 4:03pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
swb - i agree with barbel jim - a dealer doing a warranty expiry check is taking the p155.

i am getting repeat near side swivel seal leakage problems on my 2.5 year old 110 - check if yours are leaking? Thumbs Up
Post #235786 15th May 2013 4:14pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
smb I suggest you sack your dealer! They don't deserve your business.

I have a fantastic relationship with Hillendale, Junction 12 M65, who are not many miles away from you I am guessing. Very thorough and their Warranty Manager is spot on.

The MOT before warranty expires is a good move. As long as the issue is recorded with the dealer prior to warranty deadline the work should be approved.

If you were going to pay someone to be super critical I would pay an Indy rather than dealer then take the list from the Indy to the dealer. Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #236196 16th May 2013 11:42pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Mine was a farce - took three weeks to resolve the faults they'd created during the check and repairs. Sad 
Post #236198 16th May 2013 11:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Steve,

Mine was 3 years old on Tuesday, last month I had MOT done at Elton Green Garage and asked them to give it a good checking over. (They are Class 7 testers so more experienced with heavier vehicles, LR130 is a class 4 MOT)

It was already booked in for some final warranty work (body work) at Hillendale (due to get it back tomorrow) when I took it in I gave them MOT copy with advisory item detailed. As ever Hiilendale are sorting out the advisory item (slight gater leak) without a quibble.

Yours always looks a lot cleaner than mine when we pass each other! I think you have Zag tendencies.
Looking forward to getting mine back tomorrow hopefully nice and shiny and valeted as Hillendale have a 130 potential customer who wants to look at it.

Richard

Ps Re Froggle post - it was exactly 60minutes to Hillendale on Monday morning. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #236200 16th May 2013 11:55pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Depends on your dealer mate but mine has virtually been rebuilt by Rocar Moore Hudds can't fault them same with my D4 the Defender is better than when new now Thumbs Up
Post #236414 17th May 2013 7:46pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
From a thread on the very same subject....Follow the link therein.... Thumbs Up

K9F wrote:
Some good advice here! Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13650.html?highlight=early

From another thread:

K9F wrote:
As mine was reaching the three-year point I took Fekete's advice and banged it in a month early for an MOT so any problems could be sorted under warranty if possible. No problems it sailed through.

Went over the bodywork with a fine toothcomb and as I type this the vehicle went in for a 'weeks worth' of paintwork issues that surprisingly were accepted without quibble to be done under warranty.

The 90 has two vertical welds below the windows on the side (the 110 doesn't posess these welds) one of which wasn't formed correctly and subsequently the paint cracked and there was evidence of rust bubbling. Reformation of the weld!

On the nearside corner of the windscreen between the rubber seal and the 'non functional' hinge blocks there was also evidence of paint lifting and a small track of bubbling. Windscreen out job!!!

On the rear there are two small shaped panels that are riveted to the bodywork either side of the vehicle above numberplate height. There was very minor corrosion evidence due to the original paintwork not adhering to the sharp edges. Smooth off the sharp edges slightly and respray.

With everything else that has caused me grief with regards to poor paint finish having been either swapped out for superior products or reworked to prevent reoccurence such as hinge blocks, headlight retaining rings, front bumper, sidesteps, window latches I am hoping now to have a period without rust cultivation, paint flaking and the depressive feeling when it is discovered for some time to come.

Westover Motors Christchurch have had an attitude transplant compared to historic experiences as mentioned in a previous thread! Thumbs up to them from me!!

Fingers and just about everything else crossed. Thumbs Up

Hope this helps..... Thumbs Up
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #236416 17th May 2013 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1