↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > On board camera. Go Pro to go or not to go?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
vogue se

Belgium 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 Exclusive HT Nara Bronze
On board camera. Go Pro to go or not to go?
What do you recommend as a good alround on board camera for mainly use on road? As I do long distances,

I want to know what are the options to have a relatively good quality (to recognize licence plates on it) and long filming capacity.

And which is the best system to fix it on the dash or windshield?

Thanks for your reactions.
Post #234960 12th May 2013 7:44pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
GoPro hero 3 black edition works well.
Post #234967 12th May 2013 8:15pm
william8

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
i have a go pro HD 2 and you wouldnt believe how versatile it is. Im confident sticking mine to the bonnet and hurtling down the motorway, you could read the number plates then Cool William
Post #234987 12th May 2013 8:35pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Have you thought about a BlackVue? An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #235015 12th May 2013 9:10pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
if you want an accident camera type of thing, then gopro isnt what you want. blackvue or similar is much better for this.

if you want to take video like this, then you cant beat gopro.
Post #235017 12th May 2013 9:13pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Do any of these cameras send the picture to an iPad?

Andy
Post #235096 13th May 2013 7:59am
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
+1 for the Gopro BE, it is expensive but 2nd to none in terms of versatility & video quality, I use mine daily for my commute which is becoming more like "whacky races Rolling Eyes ", but I would recommend you power it from the ciggie lighter as battery life can be poor Thumbs Up

The gopro can be controlled by your iPad with the gopro app, I've never edited or uploaded video to the iPad, I'm sure someone will advise on that shortly Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!

Last edited by taffrican on 13th May 2013 10:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #235115 13th May 2013 10:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
blackvue pairs using wi fi to iphone or ipad Thumbs Up

cc
Post #235116 13th May 2013 10:58am
Luismi

Spain 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
there are any chance to integrate speed and gps location on the Hero3, to be more prcise to show on screen speed and coordinates.
Post #235122 13th May 2013 11:34am
chopcat

Luismi wrote:
there are any chance to integrate speed and gps location on the Hero3, to be more prcise to show on screen speed and coordinates.

No
CC
Post #235124 13th May 2013 11:48am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
dont get why people want to use a gopro as an in car video system. makes no sense. I own a gopro and it is fantastic, but completely useless for in car recording over extending periods of time. its an action camera, not a in car camera for accident/insurance purposes. you guys seriously wade through hours of footage and keep nuking the memory card every time it fills up?

the blackvue type camera have the following benefits you wont get from gopro...
* It operate permanently, and records permanetly in a loop. If you have an accident or there is a large G load it saves it to its memory permanently.
* It is on all the time, not just when your in the vehicle, so car parks shunts or thefts are recorded
* Some of them have 2 cameras, one facing the road and the other facing the the driver/passenger/rear and record in parallel. think thefts, or your dealers mechanic going out for an "extended test drive"!
* built-in timestamping and allows a video to be output which includes satnav map and speed etc.
* they are much smaller than a gopro and are intended to sit up around the rear view out of sight. once installed you forget about it.

what do you want to do with it?
Post #235133 13th May 2013 12:10pm
taffrican

mikeh501 wrote:
dont get why people want to use a gopro as an in car video system. makes no sense. I own a gopro and it is fantastic, but completely useless for in car recording over extending periods of time. its an action camera, not a in car camera for accident/insurance purposes. you guys seriously wade through hours of footage and keep nuking the memory card every time it fills up?

the blackvue type camera have the following benefits you wont get from gopro...
* It operate permanently, and records permanetly in a loop. If you have an accident or there is a large G load it saves it to its memory permanently.
* It is on all the time, not just when your in the vehicle, so car parks shunts or thefts are recorded
* Some of them have 2 cameras, one facing the road and the other facing the the driver/passenger/rear and record in parallel. think thefts, or your dealers mechanic going out for an "extended test drive"!
* built-in timestamping and allows a video to be output which includes satnav map and speed etc.
* they are much smaller than a gopro and are intended to sit up around the rear view out of sight. once installed you forget about it.

what do you want to do with it?

I'm sorry, I'll bin my gopro immediately Neutral Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #235141 13th May 2013 1:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chopcat

go pro is for this

and blackvue..this

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JTPZK2jdGc

cheers
cc
Post #235149 13th May 2013 1:38pm
taffrican

I must have read the gopro instructions wrong, I thought they were versatile camera's you could use anywhere, boy...how dumb do I feel now? Rolling Eyes

In all seriousness chaps, if you can afford 2 camera's then fair enough but a gopro will do it all, can be transferred between vehicles, surfboards, motorbikes, bicycles, rock climbing and you can set the gopro to record endlessly (when card is full it automatically erases and starts again Thumbs Up
I suppose the other camera's can do all of this and I have not got experience of all of them so I suppose it's up to the buyer to decide but gopro is probably the best all round camera, Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #235191 13th May 2013 4:58pm
chopcat

nobody is suggesting you are wrong or that gopro is in any way a bad choice. I have 2 and only one blackvue!

having both the pluses for the go pro are editability of the video and video quality. They are waterproof and you can mount them in loads of different ways. www.kayakfittings.co.uk (my site)

battery life is short unless you plug in to a usb source them you loose the waterproof case.. There is no ability to integrate positional data or speed easily.

They do not automatically save data in the case of an incident.

Gopro is for making films and something like blackvue is for mounting in cars, recording potential incidents.

Blackvue type cameras can give you a reduction in your insurance premiums with some companies. GoPro wont.

My camera of choice is a gopro but for permanent mounting in a car they are pretty far down on the ideal list.

CC
Post #235212 13th May 2013 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>