↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Wiper motor park switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
ok, managed to fit the new park sensor and it works!! Very Happy
however the job took twice as long due to the little clip sliding off into the wiper motor .. Shocked
so WATCH OUT for it being loose and check that its firm prior to fitting!

many thanks to Blackwolf and the Driver for their tips ! Bow down

Fitted the new relay to the intermitant wipe - need to test it now so bring on the rain ! Rolling with laughter Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #281910 13th Nov 2013 7:31pm
Daddy Cool

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Many thanks to all contributors. I've got a replacement park switch on order but decided to have the dash partially off to satisfy my curiosity. The help from this page was invaluable! Cheers!!
Post #358274 16th Sep 2014 8:22pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Another thumbs up for Blackwolfs write up, took me about 2 hours for the complete job.

I found the circlip on the crank wheel had come off resulting in a lot of play especially on fast speed and the wipers would hit the bottom windscreen rubber and side rubber in heavy rain,

I replaced the plastic wheel and did the park switch whilst it was out as well, everything greased and now smoother than ever.

Another job crossed off the to do list!

Keith
Post #372051 16th Nov 2014 8:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ho, ho! It's a strange coincidence to see this thread reanimate now.

Last weekend I was driving along the A361 in North Devon in intermittent heavy rain when without warning the wipers stopped mid-wipe. I stopped and checked the fuse, which was OK, and eventually realised that 156k miles of wear in the wheelboxes had allowed the n/s one to jam on the rack.

So an interesting roadside repair ensued. Loosen the dash to allow access to the motor, remove both wiper arms, remove motor and rack. Then, noting the position of the spindles, lubricate and twiddle through 180 degrees, remove rack from motor and flip 180 degrees, grease rack, then reassemble. The result is that the wheelboxes are engaging in a different segment of the toothed wheels and on the unworn side of rack.

All in about 45 minutes at the roadside, not bad going I felt, and should keep the wipers going until I can fit new parts.

Every day is an adventure with a Defender!
Post #372103 17th Nov 2014 12:32am
Jackh

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hi, Been following your posts on the wiper park switch. I have a puma m2010. the wipers park correctly when switched off from intermittent but just stop where ever they are when switched off from continuous operation. is the fault still the park switch or is it the column switch. thanks for the advice. jackh
disco 1 - 450,000km retired
puma 2010
Post #386343 8th Jan 2015 4:31pm
blackwolf

It is most likely the park swtich, and I suspect that the reason they're stopping correctly from the intermittent is that the intermittent unit just happens to be energized for the correct duration for a single wipe.

Unfortunately I can't really think of any way you can test this except by replacing the park switch, which, as you will know from this thread, isn't the easiest (nor quickest) component to get at.

At least with this failure mode you can still switch them off in approximately the right position - it is more of a problem if it fails so that they never stop!

What happens if you use the screen washer?
Post #386348 8th Jan 2015 4:41pm
Kitoper

Switzerland 
Hello gents,

On my 2013 Puma, I also have problems with the wiper park position. Whether it be intermittent or non stop. In intermittent the wipers stops about 10cm higher than park position and when switched off from the non stop mode they stop where ever they are when I turn them off. As she is still under warranty, she is going in on the 19th so will ask what was done to fix and will then share.
Post #386352 8th Jan 2015 4:52pm
blackwolf

^^^ Classic park switch failure!
Post #386361 8th Jan 2015 5:10pm
Jackh

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hi Blackwolf. Thanks. when using the washer the wipers stop randomly anywhere! i'll order a new switch and have some fun over the weekend. jackh
disco 1 - 450,000km retired
puma 2010
Post #386365 8th Jan 2015 5:14pm
Kitoper

Switzerland 
Just to follow-up- the fact that my wipers were not "parking" normally, was due to the wiper motor. First thought of the dealer was the park switch, but after changing that the behaviour did not change. Changing the motor resolved the issue. Changing the motor did require dash removal.
Post #400501 20th Feb 2015 10:19am
blackwolf

In fact changing th motor does not require dash removal, at least not complete removal. You can get the motor out if you free off the dash and ease it away from the motor, just the same as for the park switch. I have had my motor out three times now by this method.

I would not necessarily expect a main dealer to do it this way sine the manual says take the dash out. They tend to lack the imagination to want to save the customer money.
Post #400509 20th Feb 2015 10:43am
Johnikgriff

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Thanks, method used.

Mine where returning fine on intermittetent but wouldn't return for anything else. All perfect now.
Post #400729 20th Feb 2015 11:09pm
Penmoel

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Bonatti Grey
blackwolf wrote:
In fact changing th motor does not require dash removal, at least not complete removal. You can get the motor out if you free off the dash and ease it away from the motor, just the same as for the park switch. I have had my motor out three times now by this method.

I would not necessarily expect a main dealer to do it this way sine the manual says take the dash out. They tend to lack the imagination to want to save the customer money.

Above and your earlier description on how to do it are so correct, great many thanks fixed the wipers on our yesterday, new drive cable needed cost about £7 and about hour and half saving probably a £200 repair at main stealer rates

Many many thanks
Post #427024 29th May 2015 9:21am
Penmoel

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Bonatti Grey
More problems Big Cry

Drivers side seems to have jumped on the wheel drive , I have tried the moving the spindle 180 degrees but only lasted a day or so.
I presume I now need to completely remove the dash, up to now I have managed with the prising the near side out to get at the motor etc. Surely I will now need to remove the steering wheel to allow the dash to come back is that true?

Is it correct that the whole dash will come out by removing the radio panel and the four clips? s Apart from the obvious star screws and small screws are there any other fixings? Any help advice welcomed
Many thanks
Penmoel
Post #477484 29th Nov 2015 9:45pm
Rickydodah

Cu I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #484644 22nd Dec 2015 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>