↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > SiWhite's Puma Build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
SiWhite's Puma Build
I thought it was about time I started a new build thread for my latest Landy, a Tdci Defender 110.

Some of the more established forum members will remember my last TD5 110 build here; http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=52585

DSC_2578 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I really loved that car, but was forced to sell it when I had a move at work which doubled my commute. In retrospect, I should have kept it, but the sale made financial sense at the time.

I had a brief two year dalliance with BMW adventure motorcycles - which was fantastic, but I liken motorcycles with hard drugs - it’s only going to end one way. My job means I also see the consequences more than most. Still, I had some great trips out and don’t regret it for a second - this was my motorcycle during a tea stop at the LRE at Gaydon.

Untitled by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Anyway, on with the thread!

I decided a new 110 was in order, particularly as we are moving this year to be closer to my workplace - so I couldn’t use that as an excuse any more! I’d driven a 2.4 Tdci at the Eastnor Castle LRE and loved the new engine and dashboard, the anti-stall and the six-speed gearbox - so I put some feelers out.

A good chum of mine works for a large, but relatively unknown, Land Rover exporting company. He knew i was on the lookout for another 110 and gave me the nod when this machine came on the market. At first glance it appeared quite conventional...

Land Rover Defender_20 May 2010_06 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

...although perhaps a bit low on the suspension and with an odd windscreen.

Start opening doors, and things get weird...

Land Rover Defender_20 May 2010_31 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

...and inside the back door, even stranger...

Land Rover Defender_20 May 2010_11 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Armored Vehicle, anyone?

The 110 was bought direct from the production line and built to Australian spec (which means funny little numberplate bracket at the back, and AC as standard). It was then shipped direct to my chum’s workplace and stripped to bare panels, before being used as a development mule in order to manufacture jigs for an armor plating kit to satisfy future vehicle orders. After the jigs were developed, the vehicle was dressed and trimmed as a fully armored demonstrator - albeit with standard 8mm mild steel instead of ballistic plate - and used at security industry trade shows for 18 months as a demonstrator.

The 110 had never been registered in the UK - or anywhere for that matter. Some research revealed that Land Rover UK would not be willing to provide Type Approval as the vehicle was not European spec - even though the engine meets EU4 emissions standards and is in every respect identical to a new UK-spec 110.

This raised the prospect of an IVA test before I could register it for the road. A pain, but if the price of the vehicle was right I could tolerate it.

The armored conversion was beautifully done...

Land Rover Defender_20 May 2010_37 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Click image to enlarge

Note the overlapping armor - making the door apertures even smaller than usual!

The 110 had lived a very sheltered life - although it had been to trade shows in the Far East and North and South America, all it’s miles had been done driving between car transporters and ships. Note the KPH speedo - this would have to be changed for the IVA test.

Driving home on some borrowed trade plates, it became apparent that this thing was HEAVY! Stopping distances were vast. The vehicle was on uprated Terrafirma dampers, but still rolled like something ocean-going. The doors needed serious effort to open, and it they swung shut on a foot there would have been quite an injury caused - I almost chopped my foot off at a fuel station on the way home.

I spoke to one of the development engineers before I left - he conservatively estimates that they added 800kg of armored steel and glass to the vehicle - a quick calculation revealed that three normal sized blokes in the car would have taken it over it’s Gross Vehicle Weight.

This was how the vehicle was after I had done the deal and arrived home, still with the promotional branding on it...

...and a little reminder about what it was designed to stop...

photo by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Shortly afterwards, I started stripping the armor plating from the 110. It was all relatively easy, but heavy work. The glass was all 40mm ballistic glass and HEAVY - the windscreen weighed 75kg (the same as me!) and the side window glass pieces were 35kg each. This was one of the side windows for the rear compartment showing the thickness - I think they might suit Nigel Barker’s 90 as light guards!

Steel door cards had been fabricated to cover the whole of the inside of the doors, with the result that the doors had been absolutely mullered...

Click image to enlarge

All the floors had been armored with ballistic kevlar panels - which I figure will make good soundproofing so might stay in place for a bit of fun! The bulkhead had been completely covered internally with 8mm steel, including the footwells...

There were even steel covers inside the engine bay for the ECU and wiring looms to ensure survivability. An example of how ‘bullet proof’ the car was - this is the air inlet for the heater - there are steel louvres to prevent a lucky round finding it’s way into the cab.

Click image to enlarge

So, she was stripped back to a bare bulkhead for all the armor to be taken out, and I swapped the loom for an XS spec replacement - not much call for heated seats and screen in Australia, but definitely useful here. I soundproofed the bare bulkhead before it all went back together.

I have had to buy a LOT more parts that I was anticipating for this build - the doors were completely stripped bare save for CDL actuators, and those parts are disproportionately expensive. Still, I bought new parts to refurbish my doors as second hand prices were silly - and doors are frequently stolen to be sold on eBay and through disreputable breakers.

There are a large number of steel rivnuts in the body that originally anchored the armor plating in place. Most of these will be hidden behind panels or trim, but lots (maybe 20) have had to be removed. They are very tough - each takes about 10 minutes with a carbide burr in a die grinder - very noisy and messy work!

I intend to make this vehicle a proper Utility Station Wagon - unlike my TD5, which had to make to with vinyl wrap over the rear windows! The only thing stopping me was the lack of quarterlights on the factory USW - I just don’t like the look of them without quarterlights.

As it turned out, I found it impossible to find any genuine side panels - and they are £400/side from LR. All the breakers received weekly phone calls from me for 6 months without any result. 

I have ended up being given some battered 90 sides as part of a consignment of parts (thanks again SteveG!) and shortening them. There are some spot welds to remove - the panels have corner strengthening brackets on the front edges. When these are off, it is a 10 minute job at your local engineering firm (and a £20 note) to have the folds replicated. Overall length (excluding the lip on the front edge that holds the door seal) needs to be 1315mm. Then, the corner brackets need reattaching (I bonded mine in place) and a few holes enlarged or created on both the roof and tub side to allow the bolted joint to work. Lastly, a visit to the spray paint man (and a £300 bill for sorting the lumps and the paint job) before the job is done. Here is a test fit before paint...

So that’s where we are as of today. I’m collecting the USW panels tomorrow morning, and have a final delivery of door parts arriving during the week. Then it’s fitting soundproofing and trim, and tidying up in readiness for the IVA test.

My IVA test is being booked for early May - assuming that all goes well (and you would hope it would!) the 110 should be on the road shortly afterwards. I’m hoping that it will be registered as a new vehicle, adopting a 13 plate.

A group of friends have planned a good shakedown trip for the 110 - we are taking 6 Land Rovers from Conwy Castle to Llandeilo Castle over four days, greenlaning and wild camping as we go. Can’t wait! My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #229000 19th Apr 2013 9:31pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Good work Simon DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #229003 19th Apr 2013 9:45pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
cool Si, keep us posted.

sell the armour on here as sound proofing.... seems all the rage of late. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #229004 19th Apr 2013 9:46pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Shocked Shocked Now thats a cool write up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #229006 19th Apr 2013 9:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Remember looking at this in the dealers while waiting for some warranty work to be assessed
Nice write up
Good luck on the test Thumbs Up It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #229008 19th Apr 2013 9:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Awesome! Spookily was re-reading your td5 thread a few days ago!

Keep the updates coming! Thumbs Up
Post #229009 19th Apr 2013 9:58pm
JOSNOS

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Thats an awesome landy Thumbs Up bet it was hard work taking the armour off 2003 TD5 90

Last edited by JOSNOS on 20th Apr 2013 8:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #229011 19th Apr 2013 10:01pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Coming together Si,,,

Reckon you will get a good price for the armour weight in for scrap California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #229020 19th Apr 2013 10:34pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
now thats a different "build thread". very interesting read thank you.
hope you get her/him on the road with no more problems.
Post #229050 20th Apr 2013 8:19am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nice work Si - a lot of work in that so far. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #229093 20th Apr 2013 11:37am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
nice. I'm pondering a puma build too, now that the 90 laner is more or less finished.
Post #229096 20th Apr 2013 11:39am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Happy to help Si and its progressing well.

Do you need a rear door CDL link rod and a passenger/rear door actuator? If so I have 1 of each here that are new and you can have foc if you want me to post them to you.

Cheers

Steve
Post #229100 20th Apr 2013 12:12pm
SiWhite

SteveG wrote:
Happy to help Si and its progressing well.

Do you need a rear door CDL link rod and a passenger/rear door actuator? If so I have 1 of each here that are new and you can have foc if you want me to post them to you.

Cheers

Steve

Steve - I think I'm OK for link rods and actuators - but I'll keep it in mind if that's OK?

I've just got your panels back from the paint shop - they look stunning - you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from new panels! My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #229104 20th Apr 2013 12:55pm
SiWhite

Collected the USW sides from the paint shop this morning - not cheap, but they've done a fabulous job of transforming some bashed (and free!) sides into something fitting for the 110.

I couldn't resist a trial fitting of my new plate as well (my middle initials blanked out for obvious reasons...)

Just need to get the quarterlights back in now - had a quick go today but they weren't even remotely close to going in! My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

Post #229169 20th Apr 2013 7:55pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I would almost be tempted to leave things as they are if I had bought a car like this. At least untill the first fill up. Wink
Post #229176 20th Apr 2013 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>